G

I am in the process of building my first "from scratch" system. I have configured the BIOS and formatted the hard drive, and while my BIOS recognizes my CD-RW, when I boot I cannot access it. I assume that I need to add DOS drivers on my boot disk, but all of Sony's links are down. Is there a generic DOS driver somewhere I can use for this CD-RW, at least long enough so that I can install Win98? Here are my specs:
ASUS A7V133 MB
Athlon 1.2/266
256MB PC133
Sony CRX140E CD-RW (The problem child)
40GB Western Dig. HD
Thanks for any help you can provide this dumb newbie :)

Spdy_Gonzales

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
If you are using a Win98 start up floppy there should be a generic CD-ROM driver on the floppy. Are you selecting CD-ROM support when you boot up? Do you know the drive designation for the CD? It could be D:, E: or F: etc, depending on how many partitions you have on your hard drive. If you have only one partition on the hard drive the CD-ROM is probably E: (assuming D: is temporary ram disk)

Press Enter to continue...

G

Actually I followed the motherboard's instructions, which told me to make a DOS floppy with format a:/s. I have tried several different drive letters to no avail (d,e,f...). I just had a buddy email me a startup disk that should work. Wish me luck.

I pressed Enter to continue but nothing happened... :p

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Instead of booting up using the boot disk use the win98 cd. it should load the necessary drivers for your system to run. remember to set your bios to boot CD-ROM before any other device.I'm not familiar with your bios so I can't tell you how to do it.

If you're doing a clean install on your hdd I strongly suggest you run fdisk to format your hdd. Otherwise your system won't recognise your harddisk space and only give you half the amount of your real space. It happened to me too and baffled me for a long time before I finally found out from my bro how to fix it. if you need to know how to use fdisk then reply to this post.

Good luck

:smile: Cheese anyone? :smile: