Duron/Heatsink question

G

I just picked up a Duron 700, and noticed that there are several small pieces on top of it, thus preventing it from having a smooth, flat surface. I know those pieces are part of the chip. My question is: should I get a heatsink that is designed to accomodate those little "bumps", or would a heatsink with a regular flat-n-smooth surface be adequate? I have tried to find pictures of heatsinks around the net, but I can't get any clear images...help!

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
when you say "pieces", i'm assuming you mean the small square in the middle (core) and four round rubber pads, 1 in each corner. If these aren't the pieces you are talking about, something is seriously wrong....

For the heatsink, just get a global win fop32, or alpha pal (i forget the # for the pal). either of these coolers are good. The fop38 is the best, only if you can stand a jet engine in your room though.

Go with the chrome orb or superorb if you like to buy things by how they look. They'll work but i wouldn't do any serious oc'ing with them.

These heatsinks were all made for the amd socket a chips.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
...As flat and smooth as possible and it just sits atop the core, the small rectangle at the center. The heatsink won't touch the "bumps" and "pieces". They are lower than the core.

G

<A HREF="http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/images/23817-12.jpg" target="_new">http://www.amd.com/products/cpg/images/23817-12.jpg</A>

This is what the Duron looks like (that pic is an 850 actually, but it looks the same)

See those little surface mount things and the green square in the middle? those are what keep my heatsink from sitting flush atop the CPU. Is that normal? I put a huge glop of heatsink compound between the chip and heatsink, just to be sure. I'm just worried about adequate heat transfer.

yes, i am a newbie to the duron; but i'd rather ask a dumb question and be sure, than burn up my new chip!! 8)

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Put alot of goop on it. a nice heatsink on it and overclock the bad boy.

Cel 533 - 256mb sdram
15gb HD - ati radeon 32mb ddr (200/200)
SB live! mp3+ - win98 Beos

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Trust me. The heatsink will only touch the core, green square, and the 4 rubber pads not shown in your picture.

Put a tiny dab of thermal compound on that "green square", just enough to put a thin film over the square's survace.

Kodiak

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you only *need* to cool the green square (the core), no need to goop the rest (the silicon-grey big chip). You won't be cooling it anyhoo, at least not with any HSF I've seen:)

many compounds are slightly conductive, I think its a *BAD* idea to put goop on *anything* but the core itself:(

Diemos

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Sorry jojo, but your wrong about the superorb. It keeps my tbird 700@945 w/1.9vcore at about 42C under load. That is a dgree cooler than my FOP38 an you can barely hear it. Not too mention the Global was 15 bucks more expensive. The orbs only downfall is the difficulty with the KT7 mobo. I recomend everybody get a superorb, that way ThermalTake can develop even better products than they already do. Good luck with your project Jerry, laterz.

"I yam what I yam!"

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well first of all, 1.9 volts on a socket a board is not possible. They only support up to 1.85v.

unless you have done some major modifications to it, like in that one tom's articles.
i don't care what your bios or windows moniter says.
the board only puts out 1.85 max.

Every single review i've seen rates the fop32 above the superorb. Not to mention how the fop38 kicks it's ass.

I trust those 5+ reviews way more than what you read from your home system.

But if you are happy with your orb, so be it.
I love my fop38 and the noise is music to my ears.

For anyone considering a heatsink, look around at different reviews and find out for yourself. They all point to one hsf.