ZuRriX

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
This may seem like an unusual thread, but I don't think so.

So, I live next to a very busy road and my room is the closest to the street and that is where my desk and my PC are placed. I like having a wide open window, especially in the summer and I like sleeping with it open.

I recently got a new black desk (built it myself, how else) and I noticed all the dust coming in from the street was WAY more visible now than it was on my wooden top desk. Not only is my desk dusty as hell, but my keyboard, mouse, monitor, PC case and even the inside of the PC (because the side panel has about 1cm of sace between the case). I would be sitting at my table and wipe my desk for 5 to 6 times (at least, I do it more than that) an hour and it is f*cking annoying. It looks like I don't give a shit about my peripherals, which is way further from the truth.

I started closing the windows so I could keep the dust out, but it is still very visible on the black top and case even after cleaning.

So, do you have ANY GOOD tips for keeping the dust off your PC and components? What products to use, a special brush or cloth? Whatever tip you can share share it.

The best advice I can give is buying some PC dust filters, and covering all of your fan slots with them (even the ones you are not using). This will limit the amount of dust that gets into your system. However, externally, there isn't much you can do to stop the dirt settling. You will have to get used to wiping everything down occasionally unfortunately.

Not a whole lot u can do.

A little life view adjustment may help. Think of dust as rugged, sergeant mad-dog, just back from Afghanistan, battle scars, badges of honor. Or do u want delicate butterflies flowers on your desk?

A good size, portable air filter may help dust in general but don't expect miracles, may have to be left on all day, can be noisy, can cost$$.

Must say black desk bad choice. Black=shows dust the most.

Myself I like a cleaning maid, have everything tidy when I get home, but Mom says no. :(

Last edited:

ZuRriX

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
Must say black desk bad choice. Black=shows dust the most.

But, for real now. I choose a black desk because I live the color and I wanted everything to be black, because once I collected some major money and I decided to go for a certain theme, I could choose any color I want because everything goes with black.

This will sound very stupid like a child born yesterday or an alien (from Area 51) wrote it, but I never knew black collected dust, well, THAT MUCH dust. I never had black peripherals, everything in my room was wooden ever since I was a child and my first ever PC was inside the desk, tucked away so I didn't even see any dust. Also, it was kind of silver brown so you couldn't even see any dust on it.

If I could do it over again, I would definitely go with an all white top and sides white desk. But this one was expensive. Some good material was used. That is why I am thinking of getting the H500 white instead of black case, just because of the dust problem.

ZuRriX

Reputable
Jul 14, 2019
You should be concerned about your own health and wearing a dust mask while you sleep.

It isn't that bad, but I do get your point. I actually am allergic to dust so yeah, it's not quite ideal.

I'm in a different city now because I'm in college and I rarely come back home to visit (my family is kind of a wild house, I like it here alone much more haha), but when I do, I have to make sure to go outside.

Going off topic, but I am thinking of getting an all white desk because of this.