DV and "Microsoft Video Connection"

I have a Dell Inspirion 8500 and a Zenith XBR413 DVD/VHS recorder.
The recorder has a DV-in port for use with a DV camera. I am
interested in connecting it to my laptop, via the 1394 port
(obviously), and am having difficulties to say the least.

During one session I saw a local connection created called a
"Microsoft Video Connection". Since I was/am new to the DV area I
deleted that connection as I was not getting things to work. I cannot
seem to recreate the steps I took to get that connection created.
Since the system created it I suspect it is required for this
operation.

My laptop senses the connection and the recorder sees a device that is
an "uncontrollable device". This is not an error according to the
recorder manual but simply stating that it cannot control the device.

I tried a program called WinDV but I cannot get the recorder to start
recording as it sees no signal.

Is there any software that might emulate a camera so to allow the
recorder to act as if one is connected?

Is there a way to create the " Microsoft Video Connection" for the
1394 port?

Am I flogging a deceased equine?

Any help or pointers appreciated.

Kirk

"Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly

Go into device manager (control panel>system>hardware) and check the
firewire port in there, if neccesary unistall the drivers and reinstall with
a reboot of the laptop.

--
Graham Hughes
MVP Digital Media

"'Captain' Kirk DeHaan" <captkirkREMOVE@MEsandpoint.net> wrote in message
> I have a Dell Inspirion 8500 and a Zenith XBR413 DVD/VHS recorder.
> The recorder has a DV-in port for use with a DV camera. I am
> interested in connecting it to my laptop, via the 1394 port
> (obviously), and am having difficulties to say the least.
>
> During one session I saw a local connection created called a
> "Microsoft Video Connection". Since I was/am new to the DV area I
> deleted that connection as I was not getting things to work. I cannot
> seem to recreate the steps I took to get that connection created.
> Since the system created it I suspect it is required for this
> operation.
>
> My laptop senses the connection and the recorder sees a device that is
> an "uncontrollable device". This is not an error according to the
> recorder manual but simply stating that it cannot control the device.
>
> I tried a program called WinDV but I cannot get the recorder to start
> recording as it sees no signal.
>
> Is there any software that might emulate a camera so to allow the
> recorder to act as if one is connected?
>
> Is there a way to create the " Microsoft Video Connection" for the
> 1394 port?
>
> Am I flogging a deceased equine?
>
> Any help or pointers appreciated.
>

> Kirk
>
> "Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 22:35:41 -0000, "Graham Hughes"
<graham@simplydv.co.uk> wrote:

>Go into device manager (control panel>system>hardware) and check the
>firewire port in there, if neccesary unistall the drivers and reinstall with
>a reboot of the laptop.

To clarify...

I uninstall the driver, which appears to be working, and then reboot.

Upon reboot the system will install the driver?

Kirk

"Moe, Larry, the cheese!", Curly

Correct.
www.coribright.com