DVD Back-up Copying problems

giacomo6

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Can anyone explain why back up DVD copies will play OK for a while then start to freeze momentarily then eventually freeze completely????? This does not occur on every back up I make, only about a third of my back ups do this. Using LG and Memorex drives and DVD Cloner 6.

Also why would the dvd player on the computer simply close when I select a Play Menu option such as "special features" or "bonus material"????

montyuk

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
sounds like you need to find another dvd copying program, the pauses are likely to be caused by errors in the copy, and its possible the bonus features were missed out of the copy or again just done so badly that it kills the player.

Another point would be the brand of DVD+-R discs that you are using, & how you store them (out of sunlight and away from heat). I've had some copies from 7 years ago become unreadable on standalone players, using cheap discs. Significant improvements in the dyes have been made in the last 3-4 years but I would still stick to brands highly rated for longevity.

NERO has a "verification" option which confirms that the data is an exact copy. A DVD-Video can actually get away with a certain number of errors whereas software can not.

So I have three suggestions:

1) Get Nero 7,8 or 9

2) Buy better quality media (DVD9, or Dual-Layer is much more prone to errors)

3) Get a new DVD-burner; SATA if possible (read comments at Tigerdirect or NCIX)

My stack of dual-layer discs kept producing coasters until I did a lot of research and bought a new Philips DVD burner. Even though my trusty LG had burned 1000 DVD-R's without errors my Memorex DVD9's wouldn't burn at all and my Philips DVD9's had problems too. No errors since the new burner.

For some odd reason, older drives tend to have issues with newer discs. In my opinion the whole purpose of "specifications" should mean problems should be rare, but they aren't (again, mainly with dual-layer DVD).

I still kept my older LG though and burn regular DVD5. I burn a lot of discs as I said.

Summary:
"Coasters" are primarily due to sub-standard disc quality but can still be solved by burning with a newer and better (at least more compatible) burner. Sub-quality discs are still more likely to have read issues in the future. So either reburn later or use better media now.

Always use a "verification" feature when burning software and use it for Video until satisified your Media/DVD burner combo are happy together (10 discs or more).

More serious problem?

After re-reading your comment it occurs to me that you may have a more serious problem of software or hardware.

At the very least, you can run Memtest overnight http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
You probably want the bootable ISO (zip).

You may be interested to know that you will be able to get Windows 7 RC as of May 5th to test for free. You may wish to try it. Get the 32-bit version unless you know for sure you have a 64-bit CPU and at least 2GB of RAM.

I hope this helps. Troubleshooting can be a pain, but often involves swapping parts, or even software. Installing Windows 7 should mostly eliminate the problem as a software issue.

Troubleshooting quick tips:
1) Run Memtest (replace RAM if necessary)
2) try different Media
3) buy a new burner (read reviews as I said)
4) Install Windows 7 RC (maybe dual-boot)
5) Try a different hard drive

etc.

lordsmurf

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Nero verification is unreliable at best, a liar at worst. I've seen false results both ways, as have many others. This method of testing has been poo-poo'd on for years at most video sites.

What you describe is a classic and chronic problem of cheap DVD media. You may solve the problem by simply using better discs. For more information on which discs are best, and where to find them, read up at http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm