Jim

I've been considering adding a DVD burner to my system. However unless
I'm mistaken, we cannot make copies of any video DVD's that we own.
Either with Windows or Linux.

Other than being able to create higher capacity data discs what then is
the value of DVD over CD?

Jim wrote:

> I've been considering adding a DVD burner to my system. However unless
> I'm mistaken, we cannot make copies of any video DVD's that we own.
> Either with Windows or Linux.

And you've been living in which cave for the last few years?

> Other than being able to create higher capacity data discs what then is
> the value of DVD over CD?

Jim

sooky grumper wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>

>> I've been considering adding a DVD burner to my system. However
>> unless I'm mistaken, we cannot make copies of any video DVD's that we
>> own. Either with Windows or Linux.
>

> And you've been living in which cave for the last few years?

I'm under the belief that because of encryption we can't copy video
DVD's. At least here in the U.S.A.

jad

you will need a 'ripper' to perform the deed.

On 4-Apr-2004, Jim <chiefjim@go.nospam.com> wrote:

> sooky grumper wrote:
> > Jim wrote:
> >

> >> I've been considering adding a DVD burner to my system. However
> >> unless I'm mistaken, we cannot make copies of any video DVD's that we
> >> own. Either with Windows or Linux.
> >

> > And you've been living in which cave for the last few years?
> >

> I'm under the belief that because of encryption we can't copy video
> DVD's. At least here in the U.S.A.

Try this for an explanation.

http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/darktips/story/0,24330,3605537,00.html

clint

Get the right software, and it's not a problem. One thing to consider,
however, is the size. A lot of video DVD's, with all the extras and menus,
will exceed the 4.7 GB currently available on standard DVD writers.
Something like DVDShrink is useful.

Clint

"Jim" <chiefjim@go.nospam.com> wrote in message
> sooky grumper wrote:
> > Jim wrote:
> >

> >> I've been considering adding a DVD burner to my system. However
> >> unless I'm mistaken, we cannot make copies of any video DVD's that we
> >> own. Either with Windows or Linux.
> >

> > And you've been living in which cave for the last few years?
> >

> I'm under the belief that because of encryption we can't copy video
> DVD's. At least here in the U.S.A.

There is little problem copying movies with a DVD burner despite the
Macrovision encryption. Free programs, such as DVD Shrink, and DVD Decryptor
reauthor the video so it will fit onto one disk. Yes, a little of the
quality is gone, but quite often not even noticeable.
One of the best sources of information for DVD, from choosing a good
recorder to learning how these reauthoring tools work is
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/

--
Jan Alter
bearpuf@verizon.net
"Clint" <cneufeld@shaw.mysocks.ca> wrote in message
> Get the right software, and it's not a problem. One thing to consider,
> however, is the size. A lot of video DVD's, with all the extras and
menus,
> will exceed the 4.7 GB currently available on standard DVD writers.
> Something like DVDShrink is useful.
>
> Clint
>
> "Jim" <chiefjim@go.nospam.com> wrote in message
> > sooky grumper wrote:

> > > And you've been living in which cave for the last few years?
> > >

> > I'm under the belief that because of encryption we can't copy video
> > DVD's. At least here in the U.S.A.

Its is about the dual layer coping. Where Movie DVDs use Dual Layer and
Regular ones like you buy at best buy are single layer, but soon dual layer
burners will be out. by Q2

--
"Duct tape is a lot like the Force. It has a Dark side, a Light side, and it
holds all the pieces of the Universe together"

"Daniel P" <none@none.com> wrote in message
> Its is about the dual layer coping. Where Movie DVDs use Dual Layer and
> Regular ones like you buy at best buy are single layer, but soon dual
layer
> burners will be out. by Q2

Dual layer disks don't matter when using a program such as DVDShrink to fit
it on a single DVD+/-R disk.

FWIW many of the movies I have backed up recently have fit completely on one
DVDR disk, with or without menus and no compression of the original video
files. Seems some movie studios are only using single layer disks on many of
their older releases and sometimes on new releases as well. I suppose that
adds a few pennies of profit per sale to their coffers!

--
callsignviper

The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
the right questions.

Howdy!

"Jim" <chiefjim@go.nospam.com> wrote in message

> I'm under the belief that because of encryption we can't copy video
> DVD's. At least here in the U.S.A.

Can't? Or aren't supposed to?

Check out DVD Decrypter and DVDShrink ... at
http://www.dvddecrypter.com and http://dvdshrink.info .

RwP

TRENDING THREADS