dvd/cdrw drive won't read cds but will read dvds

A few weeks ago a dvd game got stuck in my computer for a few days, it popped
out mysteriosly one day and the next time i started my computer it said there
was a serious system error. now i try to play a cd game or music cd and it
doesnt recognize that there is a disk. but when i put the dvd game in or a
dvd movie in it reads it with no problem. i tried to uninstall the drivers
and everything but that didn't fix anything.what is wrong?

Try:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641

-----
Nathan McNulty

Tnogood wrote:
> A few weeks ago a dvd game got stuck in my computer for a few days, it popped
> out mysteriosly one day and the next time i started my computer it said there
> was a serious system error. now i try to play a cd game or music cd and it
> doesnt recognize that there is a disk. but when i put the dvd game in or a
> dvd movie in it reads it with no problem. i tried to uninstall the drivers
> and everything but that didn't fix anything.what is wrong?

No that didn't work. does anyone else have anything else. Someone told me
that it is a possibility that the cd reading laser might have something wrong
with it but the dvds use a different laser so that still works. Could that be
the problem?

"Nathan McNulty" wrote:

> Try:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641
>
> -----
> Nathan McNulty
>
> Tnogood wrote:
> > A few weeks ago a dvd game got stuck in my computer for a few days, it popped
> > out mysteriosly one day and the next time i started my computer it said there
> > was a serious system error. now i try to play a cd game or music cd and it
> > doesnt recognize that there is a disk. but when i put the dvd game in or a
> > dvd movie in it reads it with no problem. i tried to uninstall the drivers
> > and everything but that didn't fix anything.what is wrong?

It could be. And that statement is true. You can try a laser cleaning
kit if you want or take the drive in. I would try the drive in a
different computer if possible before buying anything though ;)

-----
Nathan McNulty

tnogood wrote:
> No that didn't work. does anyone else have anything else. Someone told me
> that it is a possibility that the cd reading laser might have something wrong
> with it but the dvds use a different laser so that still works. Could that be
> the problem?
>
> "Nathan McNulty" wrote:
>

>>Try:
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321641
>>
>>-----
>>Nathan McNulty
>>
>>Tnogood wrote:
>>
>>>A few weeks ago a dvd game got stuck in my computer for a few days, it popped
>>>out mysteriosly one day and the next time i started my computer it said there
>>>was a serious system error. now i try to play a cd game or music cd and it
>>>doesnt recognize that there is a disk. but when i put the dvd game in or a
>>>dvd movie in it reads it with no problem. i tried to uninstall the drivers
>>>and everything but that didn't fix anything.what is wrong?

Thanks i will try that