DVD drive is not showing up in My Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrizzle16

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Hi,

Rather than searching the forums for other people's solutions, I would rather just post about my own specific issue that I've been having with my DVD-ROM drive.

I noticed this about 2 days ago. I went to run a disc. So I pressed the DVD drive button and the tray came out like normal. The green light comes on when I open the tray, and it appears to be reading the disc, but nothing happens. The drive won't show up in My Computer and it won't show up in Device Manager. There's only a section for "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers'. There is no CD/DVD drive section. The drive shows up normally when I check my BIOS settings. I tried the simple Microsoft registry fix by deleting the "Upperfilter". I tried running the system hardware troubleshooter. Nothing. It seems like the computer knows the drive is there, it just won't launch the disc or show up in Device Manager.

I tried examining the plugs and cables to make sure they were not loose. Everything looks fine in the PC itself. There's only 2 cables going from that drive: one goes to power, and one is a ribbon that goes to the "IDE1" outlet. I pulled it out and plugged it back in.

Would this have anything to do with virtual drives? I use Daemon Tools to mount images sometimes and I think that may have messed something up with my actual disc drive.

I run Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz
3072Mb of Memory
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
System Manufacturer: OEM
System Model: OEM

All help appreciated. Thanks.

jbrizzle16

Honorable
May 28, 2013

Do I uninstall Daemon Tools? I just went to Device Manager and uninstalled the virtual drive. Uninstalled Daemon tools. Rebooted. And my DVD drive is still missing.

jbrizzle16

Honorable
May 28, 2013

There is no "Administration" heading in Control Panel. I could only find Control Panel>System Security>Administrative Tools, but I don't see my DVD drive showing up anywhere. The only thing I can find that remotely relates to this drive is in 'Device Manager' under the 'IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers' heading. It reads like this:

>IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
->ATA Channel 0
->ATA Channel 0
->ATA Channel 1
->ATA Channel 1
->Intel(R) ICH9 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 1 - 2921
->Intel(R) ICH9 Family 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller 2 - 2926

Would that have anything to do with the DVD-rom drive?

The ATA Channels are related to SATA and PATA devices such as hard drives and optical disk drives. IDE is PATA. This goes into a bit more detail - http://superuser.com/questions/278532/what-do-the-ata-ide-configuration-options-in-asus-motherboard-bios
I have had trouble with a virtual drive messing up the CD/DVD drives before and uninstalling it solved the problem. It looks as though you have already tried this though. If you can isolate which ATA channel the drive is connected to you could try uninstalling it. Before you do that you could try right clicking on the various ATA channels and click on "Scan for hardware changes".

jbrizzle16

Honorable
May 28, 2013

Yesterday, I tried everything I could. I uninstalled my Daemon Tools Lite widget. I went to Device Manager to the "IDE" section and uninstalled 'ATA Channel 1' and the 'ATA Storage Controllers". Rebooted PC. Windows immediately began scanning for drivers and successfully installed them. Rebooted computer. DVD-ROM drive is still not appearing. I checked the cable from the drive. It's just one ribbon cable that plugs into the port labeled 'IDE1'. My two actual hard drives are plugged into the 'SATA1' and 'SATA2' ports. Those are working properly.

The BIOS detects the DVD-ROM drive, but Windows does not. I'm going to try to delete Daemon Tools again, and PowerISO, even though I never use PowerISO.

jbrizzle16

Honorable
May 28, 2013
bump.

I still haven't figured out how to get my dvd-rom drive to work. I've tried the most suggested solution which is to delete the upper and lower filters in regedit. That doesn't fix my problem. My dvd-rom drive shows up in the BIOS, but does not show up in Device Manager, Disk Management or My Computer. Any other suggestions would be highly appreciated. The DVD-ROM drive light lights up properly and I can hear the drive engaging a disk when I put it in, but Windows doesn't read the drive. If it makes any difference, the drive will close itself automatically after about 1-2 seconds after I press the open button.

CrrWllr

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
Mine wasn't showing on 'my computer' nor in device manager but it could be seen in BIOS.
So I used three solutions in a row so I don't know which one is the actual solution or maybe all three are, but I GOT MY DVD ROM WORKING!

STEP 1.
Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run box.
Type regedit in the Run box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow
In the navigation pane, locate the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi
Right-click atapi, point to New, then click Key.
Type Controller0, and then press Enter.
Right-click Controller0, point to New, and then click DWORD(32-bit) Value .
Type EnumDevice1, and then press Enter.
Right-click EnumDevice1, click Modify....
Type 1 in the Value data box, and then click OK.
Exit Registry Editor.
Restart the computer.

STEP 2.
Go to http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems and download fixit. It was unable find the problem but, just go through it.

then STEP 3.
- Click Start , click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.
- At the command prompt, type the following six commands in the order in which they are presented. Press ENTER after each command.

powercfg.exe -setacvalueindex 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c 0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442 DAB60367-53FE-4fbc-825E-521D069D2456 0

powercfg.exe -setdcvalueindex 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c 0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442 DAB60367-53FE-4fbc-825E-521D069D2456 0

powercfg.exe -setacvalueindex 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e 0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442 DAB60367-53FE-4fbc-825E-521D069D2456 0

powercfg.exe -setdcvalueindex 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e 0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442 DAB60367-53FE-4fbc-825E-521D069D2456 0

powercfg.exe -setacvalueindex a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a 0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442 DAB60367-53FE-4fbc-825E-521D069D2456 0

powercfg.exe -setdcvalueindex a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a 0012ee47-9041-4b5d-9b77-535fba8b1442 DAB60367-53FE-4fbc-825E-521D069D2456 0

After the restart the problem was solved.

Sources;
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975270/en-us

Desert Rat

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
My CD/DVD drive disappeared from the My Computer folder while I was using it. I had the same symptoms as discussed above. Diagnostics said it was a registry problem. After hemming and hawing I decided to do a restore. Luckily my last restore point was earlier today prior to the drive failing. Works fine now.

mariejanethompson

Reputable
Mar 13, 2014
Same thing happened to me. What I did was Control Panel>Device Manager>Disc Drives. Press the little drop down arrow on disc drives and right click on the drive in the list. Click uninstall and if not prompted restart the computer. When your computer reboots the drive is still under disc drives in device manager and your DVD drive should now be back in my computer.

Jinxtah

Reputable
Mar 16, 2014
This was driving me crazy. It didn't show up in windows, and not in the control panel either.
I couldn't boot from it either. The cd-rom drive would show up in the BIOS as "ATAPI CD-ROM", but it wouldn't boot from it.
I tried out a few things. Checked the cables, and installed daemon tools, searched for new hardware but it still didn't show up in the device manager...

I was running out of options, but decided to give it one last go even though it didn't make much sense.
I tried out the solution CrrWllr posted as STEP 1, and that did the trick.
After rebooting, the cd-drive was working again in windows. I tried to reboot and boot from the cd-drive, but that still didn't work. Decided to go into the BIOS and check if anything had changed, and weirdly enough I was now able to select a specific CD-ROM that corresponded to my cd-rom drive (which wasn't available before). Exiting the BIOS I was now able to boot from it again.

It makes NO sort of sense that a registry edit would make the drive appear in the BIOS again, but that's what I did and that's what happened.

sithuk

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Step 1 worked for me thank you.

netdragon

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
Although this is an old thread, it was the first that came up when I was searching for a solution. So I thought I would sign up to post how I resolved this same issue. Nothing in this thread helped me..although I tried everything. In the end, I changed the port the DVD drive was plugged into. Restarted the computer and it went through the found new hardware process upon boot up and bang..DVD drive is back.

iliveinuk

Reputable
Jun 10, 2015
Step 2 worked for me, thanks

alpha_61

Reputable
Aug 25, 2015
Months ago, I started having problems with my dvd player doing the same thing. I finally found a solution that worked for me: Go to Control Panel, then All Control Panel Items, then Troubleshooting. Under the Hardware and Sound item, click Configure a device. Click next to find and fix problems. For me, it fixed the problem immediately. I opened explorer and the dvd drive was back and worked fine again.

fcoulomb

Honorable
Jun 30, 2012
Step 1 worked for me as well. I am using a HP p6220 running Windows 10.

STEP 1.
Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run box.
Type regedit in the Run box, then press Enter. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow
In the navigation pane, locate the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi
Right-click atapi, point to New, then click Key.
Type Controller0, and then press Enter.
Right-click Controller0, point to New, and then click DWORD(32-bit) Value .
Type EnumDevice1, and then press Enter.
Right-click EnumDevice1, click Modify....
Type 1 in the Value data box, and then click OK.
Exit Registry Editor.
Restart the computer.

pcarey

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Before you do anything drastic in Windows 7, go to Windows Explorer. Highlight "Computer" in the directory tree pane. Click on "Tools" and select "Folder Options". Make sure that the option to "Show All Folders" is CHECKED under the "General" tab. In a new full install of Win7 x64, this option was not checked and I could not see my three optical drives in the directory tree pane until I inserted an optical disc in a drive, even though the drives would show up in the Device Manager and elsewhere in Windows. This option is under the "General" tab and OUTSIDE of the usual "View" options tab and can be easily missed. Of course, you may also have to DESELECT other options under the "View" tab, like "Hide Empty Drives" in order to see your optical drives all the time in Windows Explorer.

Its because of programs like Daemontools or any dvd emulation program it happens.

It's because they add their own driver to the upper/lower filter registry entries, and this will screw it up. And you'll get an error 19

The same thing can happen with external hdd's.

You can get an error 39 if you install some Acronis programs. Because it'll do the same thing add its own driver. And kill it. You wont be able to access the hdd until you remove the program and the entries it added

shmuellandon

Reputable
Feb 2, 2016
I had the same problem on every computer of the same brand in our computer lab (Lenovo ThinkCentre with a Pentuim Dual-Core E5400 running Windows 10 Pro), and just tried Step 1 below and that solved it. Thank you so much!

ViriVic Bayolo

Reputable
Nov 28, 2014

Step 1 did the trick for me. Thank you man.

Ruqya_

Commendable
Mar 27, 2016

1) I run MrFixIt several times and it cannot resolve the issue.
2) I have checked the registry for Upper or Lower limits and found none to delete.
3) I have ade sure my device manager view included hidden devices and that didn't help.
4) I uninstalled the IDE and ATAPI controllers from device manager and rebooted to get then to reset, but that didn't help.
5) I have tried to go back to the oldest restore point, but that didn't help.
6) I have removed the drive and re-seated it and rebooted and that didn't work.
7) I replaced the drive with a brand new drive of the same model and that didn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS