Warden_PC

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
I had my computer built yesterday (see my thread) and I turn it on for the first time and when I tried to open the DVD drive it wouldn’t open. When I press the button to open my DVD the green little light up for about 20 seconds then shut off. The SATA power and the SATA data cables are connected. What wrong and how do fix this problem?

Solution
My very first reaction to that symptom would be: make sure that the power cable is plugged into the drive. The fact that the little green light comes on suggests that it is, but I'd open it up and unplug/replug both the data and power connections to make sure they're secure just to be on the safe side.

Failing that, it's possible that the tray mechanism is jammed somehow - try what WyomingKnott suggested to see if that frees it up.

The only other thing I can think of is that some devices have a "shipping pin" to immobilize moving parts until the device is ready to be used. I've never seen an optical drive with one of these, but there's always a first time - check to see if there's any pin or tag or tape (could be transparent!)...
Many DVD drives have a little round hole in the front, just below or above the tray. If you straighten out a paperclip and push in that hole, the tray comes out.
The tray may start working after that, or it may not. The obvious reason is a defective DVD drive. Does it make motor or grinding noises during those 20 seconds?

Reactions: Warden_PC
My very first reaction to that symptom would be: make sure that the power cable is plugged into the drive. The fact that the little green light comes on suggests that it is, but I'd open it up and unplug/replug both the data and power connections to make sure they're secure just to be on the safe side.

Failing that, it's possible that the tray mechanism is jammed somehow - try what WyomingKnott suggested to see if that frees it up.

The only other thing I can think of is that some devices have a "shipping pin" to immobilize moving parts until the device is ready to be used. I've never seen an optical drive with one of these, but there's always a first time - check to see if there's any pin or tag or tape (could be transparent!) that's preventing the drawer from opening.

Reactions: Warden_PC
Solution

Warden_PC

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011

Unplug then replugging and firmly making sure that the SATA power is pluged in solve my problem [:isamuelson]. I’ll try to not make that mistake again.

Kuuku Percy

Reputable
May 29, 2015