DVD..oem or retail..please help

FFactoryXX

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
I still need a DVD or CDrom and dont know whether to get OEM or retail..i was looking at the bare drives. If i buy a bare drive, what do i need to hook it up. and do i need drivers or does windows have them. Alos i have a Maxtor 40gb 7200 ata/100 hd...does that or my new motherboard include anything i would need. Lastly what does the retail box have that bare doesnt..
Looking at
Toshiba 12x bare $65
Sony 52x Bare $32
Creative 52x Bare $35
Pionner Bare $65
if u know where i can get cheaper plese list

upec

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You can get an OEM TOSHIBA 16X DVD for $59 and the shipping is $10 at newegg.com.
The retail will give you an manual, screw for mounting the drive, IDE cable, and audio cable to connect the drive to sound card.
I never install the driver for cd-roms or DVD-rams. I just use the one come with windows.

G

you can get the asus dvd-e612 for 80$ inclu S&H
bundeld with asus dvd 2000 .

G

The big thing you get with most retail DVD drives is a copy of decent software DVD player. Sometimes people get a software player with a video card (which may or may not work with your DVD drive) or they already own a copy and you can save a few bucks buying an OEM. But if you have to pay $50 for one along with the drive, you might as well look for a retail boxed drive that comes with a copy. If you're real picky about which DVD drive you get, you may have to get the OEM drive anyways.

I haven't had a problem with the ASUS and DVDs. I've seen some problems with it and CD-Rs and even regular CD-Roms.

***check the jumpers 1st then check em again***