DVD reads dvd's, but not cd's

I have a DVD\cd-rw drive in compaq laptop that reads DVD movies and
burned DVD data disks, but not regular cd's. could this be an
alignment thing? is there anything that can be done to fix this? or is
this just a replacement thing? thanx in advance.

A combo drive has two lasers - one for DVD and one for CD. Could be your CD
laser is bad.

Tom