dvdpiddys challenge

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Well I guess it too late for Luminaris to test the 480W PSU on the opty system, to rule that out? :wink:

But then, would an Opty be just as demanding as P4 power wise?

I think not.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
OOOOooo.. nother test :D

okay 70F start

P4 = 78F - 480W PSU
Opty = 71F - 550W PSU

I'm guessing, that is if the PSU is putting off extra heat from stress..

Opty = 76F - 480W PSU

Place yer bets, Place yer bets.. of course I'm broke :cry:

endyen

Splendid
I think your testing has made a few performance fanboys very happy. You've proved to yourself, what they have been trying to tell you for a while.
I'm sure the idiot outside croud will find fault. After all that's what they do.
The real battle has always been about giving people options.
Let's hope that conroe, and whatever Amd has up it's sleeve, give people more options. I also hope more folks are brave enough to look beyond thier chip prejudices.
After all, it really is about getting the most for your $.

p8ntslinger676

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
You are right because the lower the watts, the more resistance that is created within the PSU the more resistance, the more heat, the reason why there havent been higher PSUs with higher watts is because it is harder to create a PSU that can control the flow of electricity and provide the stability, the less resistance within a PSU the less heat produced, o and heat through resistance is very inefficient.

resistance is futile. :x

endyen

Splendid
Okay, enough of the bs.
Power supplies are inefficient. The closer they run to thier rated, the more efficient they are. At any given load, the higher the rating of the psu, the more wasted energy. Wasted energy is watts. As for the watts used, well, they are watts to.
It aint rocket science.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Yeah that's right and that's why I like to have multiple machines of all makes just to compare apples with apples. I've always known in the back of my mind that Intels current technology is not the best. Yes, I can and do overclock them to get that much more performance out of them but why should i have to?

Even then, when I do overclock the Intels, they run that much hotter and put out that much more heat. My room really got hot when I ran my prescott at 4Ghz.

Now, I've got an opteron sitting here that just blows it away no matter what speed the prescott runs. I still like Intel but man, this AMD Opteron has made a serious friend for life! :wink:

samir_nayanajaad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
well to this whole heat thing all I got to say is watts=heat and its a well known fact that intels use more wattage than an amd so of course the intel is gonna make more heat.

And Luminaris, just wanted to know what volts your opty is running at and what it was stock not oced.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
I'm running my opty at stock voltage. I haven't touched the voltage on it at all. That's the beauty of this thing. I'm sure I could clock it higher with higher voltage, but i'm happy with it right where it is.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Errr... so you guys don't think the PSU had anything to do with the room temp heat?

I understand that if you have a 600W PSU, it will consume 600W regardless. But based upon its design, will determine how well it can cool itself. And if you have hot air comping out of it, I'd say the PSU is more of a heater then anything else (CPU Heat) on the system.

I still have a AMD thunderbird 1Ghz system. The PC case I brought for it a long time ago, came with a Generic PSU. I know when I use that system, things tend to heat up more, with my P4 system running with it. I know it has to do with the PSU rather then the AMD processor.

So, I bet that the 480W PSU could warm his room up without a load on the Prescott... if that is the case, by the design of the PSU.

firefoxz

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2006
Even then, when I do overclock the Intels, they run that much hotter and put out that much more heat. My room really got hot when I ran my prescott at 4Ghz.

I have also have a stok 3.0 Prescott at my feet, and the thing does 55º idle and 72º on Boinc. This might be an insulation prob. as I have posted before, but man... I can sure tell it's heating up my ofice :roll:

I am a beliver, Intel heats up...

__

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
72C? gawd... if it is an installation problem, that heat may not be getting to your HS, and just burning the socket.

I'd get that checked out.. heh.

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Yeah I know the feeling man. I had the 630 here right next to me on the bench and I could definately feel the heat coming off of it.

I just stuck my hand on the back of my opty case and there is still nice cool air coming out of it. I've got it folding, playing a movie and surfing all at the same time too.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Heh.. I've been folding for the past 3 days.

My CPU temps at 2.8 Ghz at full load is 57C atm. That's 2C more then his reported 55C idle. Though I don't run my PC 24 hrs a day.

My PSU exhaust is basically warm, room temp 74F. And I don't feel hardly any heat from it. Even my 2 exhaust fans below the PSU is cool, not warm.

I know if I turn off folding, the PSU exhaust will feel cooler like the exhaust coming out below it. I'm using an Antec 430w PSU.

I only have 1HD, 1DVD-Burner, LS-120 IDE, AGP 6800GS, 5 case fans, 1 slot fan, Zalman Fan VGA cooler, Stock CPU HSF, and PSU has 2 Fans.

I don't see how a Prescott can be.. that bad, unless it really taxes that PSU. :cry:

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
Well, I believe it is the processor causing most of the heat only because, my system temp stays in the red (high) I'm pretty sure it's not because of the PSU only because it has two fans, one intake and one exhaust. The air coming out of both PSUs is rather warm. I just checked both of them.

The system temp on my opty machine is nice and cool. It's not necessarily a fair comparison as, in the Intel machine, I have more hardware in it such a TV tuner card, modem, extra hard drive, 2 DVD burners and a sounblaster audigy2 ZS. I'm sure those things put out a little more heat.

On the flipside of this though, I do have a side intake fan on the Intels case so it does have an extra fan. The opty machine doesn't have one cause of the CPU cooler. It extends too far to install a side case fan.

TRENDING THREADS