DVI adapters?

Screamin

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Hey all,

It's about time for me to update the old video card...so maybe you'd all be willing to share some advice:

I've been looking around Tom's and other forums learning about the newest cards. Since I have an AFP (analog flat panel) I was a bit upset to learn that with my current monitor I would not be able to use DVI or other formats and would still be plagued by "pixel shimmer."

I have read that several options for adapters exist to take the high-quality signal from a DVI or similar output to the analog input of my monitor (a Princeton LCD17). First, is this as realistic an option as I have come to believe? Second, will it be effective at reducing pixel shimmer and giving me the high-quality picture I am seeking?

Thanx for your time, and here's to hoping someone has some experience with this subject.

--Screamin

hammerhead

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Disclaimer: Have no experience of either your Princeton monitor or DVI/VGA adaptors, so this is just theory.

I doubt it would improve the quality of your display. By using an adaptor you essentially have an offboard DAC as opposed to the onboard DAC of a video card's VGA output. Can't see how this could help.

Someone will post to prove me wrong, if I am :smile:

hartski

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
Here's how I see it from stuff I read about DVI. Basically you're saying you have a videocard with a DVI connector and a monitor with an ANALOG connector. You are gonna use a DVI cable to hook the videocard and the monitor. At the connector of the videocard you simply plug in one end of the DVI cable to it, on the monitor connector you attach a DVI to ANALOG converter and then connect that end to the monitor.

What will basically happen is signal from the videocard will be digital and pass out to the first end of the DVI cable as digital signal also, but when it reaches the other end, the "converter" will convert the signal to ANALOG therefore you still have an ANALOG connection. Ultimatley you are still in ANALOG mode.