Dvi from pc to component hdtv

mike 2009

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
i have an hp slimline with an hdmi and a dvi out put. I would like to hook it up to an older style panasonic 1080i hdtv that has only rgb hookups or composite . What kind of converter do I need to make this work , please.

Solution
Does it only have a HDMI and DVI out and not something like a VGA or S-video? You can buy an HDMI to component adaptor, but they're really expensive and ultimately not worth it.

jsrudd

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Does it only have a HDMI and DVI out and not something like a VGA or S-video? You can buy an HDMI to component adaptor, but they're really expensive and ultimately not worth it.

Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
At the core of this is that HDMI and DVI systems are purely digital signals, whereas Composite Video, S-Video and both RGB and YPbPr Component Video systems are analog signals. Any conversion from digital to analog or the other way is a major job for an external box, and it is much better done in the original video card as it produces a particular signal system from its data.

If you're trying to get a Composite Video signal for the TV, look closely for S-Video Output from your video card. You can get very simple cheap adapters to convert an S-Video signal to Composite Video.

On the other hand, if you have Component Video inputs on the TV (either RGB or YPbPr), those have to come out of the video card. This Wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Component_video

says that RGB in some form (there are three varieties) may already be in the VGA output connector if you have one. But then you need some adapter to get the signals on the right cables.

mike 2009

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
I do have an s video on the pc but was unable to get anything on the tv from the pc . it seems like it should work simply but I can't figure it out . I would love to surf the net on the big screen from my couchbut haven''t been able to do it. Maybe an adapter would work with the s video ? should'nt it go without an adapter if its s video to s video? I might just get a newer 50 in lcd with dvi and hdmi but i was hoping to rig something in the meantime to hold me over for a while. thanks for any help.

mike 2009

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009

I do have an s video on the pc but was unable to get anything on the tv from the pc . it seems like it should work simply but I can't figure it out . I would love to surf the net on the big screen from my couchbut haven''t been able to do it. Maybe an adapter would work with the s video ? should'nt it go without an adapter if its s video to s video? I might just get a newer 50 in lcd with dvi and hdmi but i was hoping to rig something in the meantime to hold me over for a while. thanks for any help.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Yes, if you have S-Video Out on the PC's vid card and S-Video In on the TV, that should work perfectly with a simple S-Video cable. In the video driver software you may have to specifically enable S-video out, or even create a second display device that is on the S-Video port. For this detail, consult the vid card's manual. HOWEVER, that won't carry sound with it, so you also will need to connect an audio signal from PC to TV on a separate cable.

TRENDING THREADS