dvi out and multiple monitoring question

Buncan

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2003
at the moment i use a matrox g400max dual head and 2 19'monitors (both @ 1152x864 /85hz)
i like my matrox but most of the newer games runs bad on it.
now i would like to buy me a ati 9500pro or an nvidea 5600 (because of the low price :) ), but i heard, that if i use the dvi output in conjunction with a dvi-->vga adaptercable as second monitor output, the second monitor runs always on 60hz.
is this true and/or is there a workaround, to use it on an higher refreshrate?

regards
bunc

cleeve

Illustrious
I don't believe this is true. Radeons have 2 RAMDACS and refresh rates are adjustable for each one.

You just have to set both displays to use the separate RAMCADS within the Catalyst driver control panel.

------------------
Radeon 9500 w/256 bit memory bus @ 367/310
AMD AthlonXP 2000+
3dMark03: 3439

jihiggs

Splendid
Oct 11, 2001
i run my radeon 9500 pro with dual monitors, both different res and refresh

<font color=red> black </font color=red> <font color=green> white </font color=green> <font color=blue> yellow </font color=blue> <font color=orange> purple </font color=orange> <font color=black> red </font color=black> <font color=yellow> green </font color=yellow> <font color=purple> blue </font color=purple>

I will just put the Caveat, This MAY be true. I have read that some of the mfrs pre-determine the high end output for their DVI ports (something to do with bandwidth (more info for DVI vs DB15). Now this MAY be an old thing in the days when there wasn't many fast refreshing LCDs. But I would check to be sure from the card maker you're considering.
I do remember that the DVI is VERY limited in res. compared to the VDA/DB15 connectors.
However I also know that not all cards have this constraint.
It may just be DVI-D vs DVI-I, perhaps the DVI-D are limited. Anyway safest to check with the cardmaker. It may just be a drier thing too, and as long as it's plug and play LCD it defaults to 60hz.

Just my two frames worth.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil: