DVI sockets on graphics cards

speedhumpier

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Why do so many forum correspondents think they output a digital signal? They seem to have a rather strong faith in the DVI designation. It is very misleading to call a socket Digital Video Interface and then have it output analog signals.I own two such cards, an Asus 9200SE and a nVidia P111. Asus supplied no information regarding theirs and I cannot find info on the nVidia P11, but I am sure it outputs an analog signal so simply using a HDMI adapter will not help users who want to connect a modern flat-screen TV. Surely investing in a HDMI motherboard is the answer?

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
DVI ports have 4 x 90 degree corners forming a perfect shaped rectangle and is typically white - cards with these connectors should recognize a HDMI output no problem,, just older cards may or may not be able to output the sound
DVI can output digital and analogue signals

VGA ports are typically blue and not a rectangle and are analogue only

speedhumpier

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011

Firstly, Thanks for the info on the P111 board.

It seems my post was a little confusing, however I did say that I realised the signals from my two boards are analog, but there remains the general misconception that a DVI socket (the commonly used designation) outputs a digital signal. Of course after all DVI does stand for Digital Video Interface. We know that there are DVI-A - DVI-D and DVI-I outputs. Why most manufacturers and sellers alike continue to describe their digital boards as having a DVI socket is a puzzler.

speedhumpier

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011

My Asus 9200SE and P111 boards have white plastic filled sockets that are not perfect rectangles. The top corners are square-cut and the bottom corners are slightly rounded - The pin array (left to right) is three rows of eight and then two vertical slots above one another, followed a centrally placed horizontal slot. Asus describes this board as having a DVI socket.

The other nVIDIA P111 board (named a quadro 280 by Pyree) has a similar 8 by 3 rows of pins , followed by a slightly separated array of 4 pins in a square array with a fine cruciform slot in the centre. I cannot find any further info from nVIDIA on this board, beleive me, this is a problem.