EA Blocks Wang From Entering Origin

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EJ257

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009

The word WANG is not racist, it is a common Chinese last name. Blocking the word WANG however is racist imo.

Sicundercover

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2007
Chinese is not a race its a nationality.

It however could all be fixed if people weren't so easily offended and complain every time they see a word the have some personal issue with.

kjsfnkwl

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
[citation][nom]Pyree[/nom]That's racist![/citation]
Give me a break. Obviously they were just quickly making a word filter, and forgot that "Wang" actually was a real name. Not a huge offensive mistake.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
A friend of mine, whose last name is "Hacker" (not kidding), told me that he could not buy a computer once because Best Buy's credit system refused to issue him a line of credit as his name was banned from the system. LOL

G

My brothers name is Christian its blocked too. So i think that i dont think racist og something. it just a result of poor quality kontrol and lasyness.

G

[citation][nom]laa[/nom]My brothers name is Christian its blocked too. So i think that i dont think racist og something. it just a result of poor quality kontrol and lasyness.[/citation]

My last name is CockMeatSandwich.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]EJ257[/nom]The word WANG is not racist, it is a common Chinese last name. Blocking the word WANG however is racist imo.[/citation]
Oh for Petes sake, it's not Wang that is racist you imbeciles!

Spik3balloon! has the racist element = Spik

NapoleonDK

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]ubercake[/nom]Yeah. No one likes a Wang blocker.[/citation]I seriously read the comments here hoping to see that someone had written those exact words. XD Thanks for saving me the trouble!

prodigygamer

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Oh for Petes sake, it's not Wang that is racist you imbeciles!Spik3balloon! has the racist element = Spik[/citation]

3=E...l337 sp34k

Spikeballoon not Spik, jeeze.

They are half heartedly joking about Wang being an asian name in mass being blocked, not the word itself.

Reading something before posting = WIN!
Posting for the sake of it and getting it wrong = FAIL.

G

just for a sec there i thought it read "EA blocks Wang from entering orifice" ....

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]prodigygamer[/nom]3=E...l337 sp34kSpikeballoon not Spik, jeeze.They are half heartedly joking about Wang being an asian name in mass being blocked, not the word itself.Reading something before posting = WIN!Posting for the sake of it and getting it wrong = FAIL.[/citation]
Yes I understand supposed l337 speak and the dumbass that use it, but the poster who said it was racist was aluding to the Spik element of the user name:-
A Reddit post published by user Spik3balloon this morning indicates that he has not been allowed to associate his last name with his profile because it’s on a list of blocked words
It was the Toms people who furthered the issue of the use of Wang even though the picture and information about the blocked user Spik3ballon contains no mention of Wang.

If you are going to wax lyrical about people not reading posts it is advisable to do the same yourself first to prevent mass public humiliation.

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]DONg[/nom]So ea has completely forgoton about the once giant comupter company known as Wang computers. Idiots.[/citation]
Did the company shrink due to deflacination?

spik3balloon

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]It was the Toms people who furthered the issue of the use of Wang even though the picture and information about the blocked user Spik3ballon contains no mention of Wang.[/citation]

It's right there...in the picture...that's what the entire reddit post was about.

I also honestly did not know 'spik' was a racist term. Although, yes, it is meant to be 'spike' (yes, it's a crap username.), I have never heard 'spik' as an insult. (I'm from Australia)

[citation][nom]Marcus Yam[/nom]Likely EA created a word list to filter out offensive usernames and extended the same criteria to the real name fields.[/citation]

Marcus is correct in saying this. Other words (like 'dick', etc. but surprisingly weiner/wiener worked) were blocked as well. EA have fixed the issue now, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.