EA Booth Hands-On: Battlefield 3, Star Wars: The Old Republic

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fullofzen

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
[citation][nom]hyundais[/nom]i thought the whole point of an assault class is to kill everything that moves and be best suited for that role not "hey bud you got shot. lemme stop my assault and help you get back up. its ok those enemies firing at us can wait"it was bad enough such a class had the ammo pack in BC2 but now they have medkits? i wonder if it's possible to insert a new class at this point in the game's development[/citation]

The graphics do indeed look amazing. I've been playing BF2 -- and only BF2 -- for a long time now; a more "arcadey" game is not going to appeal as much.

Don't get me wrong, if the guys I play with make the move to BF3, I'll move too. And I'll buy the title regardless of whether it turns out to be perfect or not; after all, we're only talking sixty bucks here. Not really serious money.

But I am looking for a more realistic environment than bad company. The thing that surprises me from watching the videos is how easily you can stand up and shoot with just the scope.

From BF2, it seemed like at anything but the closest quarters fighting, you couldn't just stand upright and squeeze of 5 rounds in full auto and get a kill just because you have a scope -- in BF2, you need to at least crouch.

punkologist

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
"Assault class now in BF3 acts like a medic. Medic class is no more."

I could be mistaken but then what is a support class? I'm more inclined to believe that Tom's simply made a mistake and meant to say they played the support class (not assault).

I saw an interview with a DICE dev on another site. They confirmed that the assault class does in fact now carry med kits and can revive. There wasn't any detail on what I would then assume to be a support class.

Anyway, I think I will love the new assault, its got the best of both worlds, the medic abilities with assault rifles, what's not to like?

Hope Slayer

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2008
[citation][nom]macewrox[/nom]EA has actually been much better about leaving developers alone and letting them make their product. They've improved since they horribly mutilated the Black and White series.[/citation]

Did you play Dragon Age 2?

That cluster was purely EA's doing.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]Typical MMO mechanics is what will probably ruin TOR for me. I don't know how people find that crap fun.I hope BF3 has commanders. A good commander made a huge difference and was another way rank meant something, and enhanced the feeling that you're part of an army on a battlefield. I'm on the fence as to whether medic should be a separate class. I guess it depends on how powerful assault is. Grenade launcher plus specialty grenades, like flash would be better. I'm assuming support once again supplies ammo. I hope anti-tank has an unlockable anti-air weapon.[/citation]

From what I've heard, you can choose to be more assault oriented, or medic oriented, but not really both. If this is true, then it might be decent. I love the support class in BF:BC2, though. At the same time, I can see how they'd want the guy hurling ammo down range to also be the guy dispensing it. If suppressing fire really works as well as I hope, then it will be very useful to switch those roles.

As far as I'm concerned, the Star Wars franchise is pointless. I know there are TONS of fans of it (my roommate included), but it just feels like the same game remade. It's kind of like Mario, Zelda, etc. I like those games and all, but I need something NEW!

G

Uh just for info
Concerning TOR
Wether your light or dark only affects the outcomes of quests not which quests you can actually choose
Neither does it affect which abillities you have, instead many armor pieces have alignment restrictions

G

For everyone saying that WoW will not be dethrowned, The Old Republic has more pre-orders than WoW had in its beginning, 2.3 times the amount actually. Xbox360 fans, Playstation 3 fans, hardcore World of Warcrafters, the immigrants from Star Wars Galaxies, and Bioware producers like myself all are interested in this game. Take Star Wars Galaxies and World of Warcraft, blend them together, times their content and stories by 400%, give them great graphics, give them more PVP fun and options, give an MMO an actual storyline ti play, take the vast an open worlds to explore like StarW ars Galaxies, give it player housing and ships, top it all off with expected ship rates of 3 to 4 million, and have a World of Warcraft major production manager even talking about The Old Republic, and that is what you will get with this game. There is no question of if it will knock off World of Warcraft, its a matter of when folks. Both will be around. Both will be long-lasting. World of Warcraft had its time, but you even have the celebrities jumping in on this, hence the Captain Kirk himself said he cannot wait to get into the game. I am sorry to inform you all, which most of you are hardcore WoW fans, but this game is the next generation of what WoW started. Don't knock it down. Buy it, play the trial, just give it a shot. I promise you as part of the development team, you won't be disappointed. You will undoubtedly see a familiarity with World of Warcraft. THank you all for your support for The Old Republic which will ship by the end of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.