EA Boss Nods To Core Gamers' Issue with Origin

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andromeda

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2008
Dont forget the new kid on the block is the company killing Ea it's not like they buyout companies monitise them and then you never hear of another quality title from them ever again oh wait they do do that. I try to avoid EA on most cases.

While Valve is a mega company they made it a point to listen to there customers from development all the way to release. When in a snake pit called wall-street this is the one I want next to me.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012

Actually no, if I recall correctly it was EA forcing Valve to boot them from their store by violating that contract. Valve did not want to get rid of them (can you imagine how much they'd earn off ME3 and BF3?), but they were contractually obliged to.

Exactly. EA is only the funder and publisher of these games, it has little hand in development (apart from setting release dates and restricting creativity and quality). EA did not give an alternate ending to ME3 - Bioware did. EA doesn't give a rat's ass about the PC community - the developers do.

Cantisque

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
The way I see it, Origin probably would be a lot more popular now if they didn't try so hard to push it in peoples faces.

For those who say Steam is the same thing, that's partly true, but Valve's games make so much use of the Steam platform that it actually is part of the game itself. It's hard to imagine Team Fortress 2 without Steam.

If Origin stopped trying so hard to put gamers on a death march to Origin and focused more delivering what people are REALLY asking for, they might just get somewhere. Instead, they've turned Origin into a joke.

G

a choice? a choice would of been nice to be able to get battfield 3 on steam. i dont see a choice in forcing us to get origin.

rawoysters

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
"Just last month, DeMartini said that Origin's first year was a huge success, stating that gamers downloaded around 12 million copies of the Origin software."

I like how he states this like downloading Origin is an option. You can't do the first thing with a game until you put this crap on your system.

Tab54o

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
yeah like we had a fucking choice. 99% of us who downloaded origin only did because we couldn't resit bf3 but that was it. I will never buy a game on origin. next time ill just have to pass one thier shit.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
There are many things about steam that I think are in dire need of improvement. With that said, I own 563 steam games (842 items) and am overall quite satisfied.
Now with Origin - there are many many more things I don't like. So many that I have a total of ... ZERO games on origin! I've bought at gog, direct2drive and other places - but not at origin.
And I don't see it happening at any time in the future either. I'd rather pirate ME3 & BF3 than use origin.
If it's not on battle.net or steam and it isn't minecraft, I don't want it.

"we've had 12 million origin downloads" we forced on people

Steam is a value added service. Id happily pay 10% more to get a game on steam. Valve knows but what do they do? Insane sales.

Origin is a value subtraction service

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]demarest[/nom]Blah blah blah. Those quoted didn't comment at all on the number one flaw: I don't want to HAVE to have a 3rd party software on my machine at all, let alone running all the time I want to play a certain game. MY machine, got it?[/citation]

Not YOUR software, got it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS