EA: PC Becoming Largest Gaming Platform

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I find this kinda amusing, seeing how if pc gaming is becoming the largest gaming platform, then why are the gamers being treated like second-class citizens, getting games way later than their console counterparts, and a large portion of those are horribly unoptimized. at the very least the pc versions should be available from digital distrobution on the same day as the console versions with the retail version coming out later.

Turas

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
Aren't they the ones that make Madden? Didn't the stop releasing Madden to the PC last year?

It was the one game I buy every year. Play it for like a month and then shelve it till next year when I buy the new copy.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
The millions and millions of more games sold for the consoles each year as opposed to the PC say "hi." PC gaming won't ever become the largest gaming platform again unless you consider a console a "computer."

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
you think their losses has to do with them redirecting valuable resources into the DRM department, only to realize their losing more money than they're saving?

I have to admit, when i was younger i did torrent games, but i never had the intention of buying them because i was poor and had no money. BUT BECAUSE I DID TORRENT THEM THEN, and I have money now, I totally want the business to benefit for great games. if i want to try a game now, i demo it. i think it worked for their benefit as well as mine. sorry for my little life story, i live my life on tangents

Geibys

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I Don't know about you guys, but why should PC gamers care about EA. Installing Spore for some of us was hell, Need For Speed Undercover was a disaster, unless you like bad frame-rates, and they took away Madden and Tiger Woods from PC. If EA wants my well earned money I suggest they stop with the DRM because it doesn't stop pirates it just gives them a challenge, and also they could think about making PC games for PC and not just port them from consoles. The Keyboard and Mouse are the most flexible input devices you could use for a game and it seems they forgot about it, not everyone has a gamepad.

tis because "mum and dad" dont want to spend a $#$#$%^^ load of cash on a console when they can spend a bit more on a computer for "homework", then the kids nag for a video card, then its a gaming system, then upgrades and so on - its the widest platform for everything - ofcourse its the biggest.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I cannot honestly say I am surprised a negative comment about the state of PC gaming gets a vote down. The numbers, however, tell the real story.

PC Gaming software retail sales for 2008 were at $700 million. Even if you think that retail sales only account for 1/3 of all sales (not even close to realistic) that would put PC gaming at $2.1 billion for the year. Console software sales easily eclipsed that mark in December 2008 alone + about $600 million. It isn't even close.

Like I said, PC gaming will never be the largest gaming platform again, ever. Even if you consider each console to be a separate platform PC gaming is still pathetically far behind compared individually against the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and Nintendo Wii. Oh, the graphics look great, but the game sales don't. The game sales look awful.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Most of games on consoles are junk designed for kids, i have a ps3 so far i see no titles that interest me, i like rpg's and rts which only seem to show up on pc so far this year i have bought 20 games for my pc.

So many people are waiting for wc3,starcraft II,sims 3 they will sell big i will buy all 3 once they are out.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]I cannot honestly say I am surprised a negative comment about the state of PC gaming gets a vote down. The numbers, however, tell the real story. PC Gaming software retail sales for 2008 were at $700 million. Even if you think that retail sales only account for 1/3 of all sales (not even close to realistic) that would put PC gaming at $2.1 billion for the year. Console software sales easily eclipsed that mark in December 2008 alone + about $600 million. It isn't even close. Like I said, PC gaming will never be the largest gaming platform again, ever. Even if you consider each console to be a separate platform PC gaming is still pathetically far behind compared individually against the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and Nintendo Wii. Oh, the graphics look great, but the game sales don't. The game sales look awful.[/citation]

oh how are you so wrong my friend. Ask valve how many games they've been selling. just go ahead. just ask them. digital distribution is the future, and guess what? pc has been there forever.
and another flawed part of your argument is that you picked the busiest time of year. EVERYONE knows shit sells like ten fold on holiday season. do you remember the steam sale? do you remember how epic it was? do you even HAVE steam? imagine how many games digitally they sold compared to the limited, and possibly 'sold out' copies of retail...

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]I cannot honestly say I am surprised a negative comment about the state of PC gaming gets a vote down. The numbers, however, tell the real story. PC Gaming software retail sales for 2008 were at $700 million. Even if you think that retail sales only account for 1/3 of all sales (not even close to realistic) that would put PC gaming at $2.1 billion for the year. Console software sales easily eclipsed that mark in December 2008 alone + about $600 million. It isn't even close. Like I said, PC gaming will never be the largest gaming platform again, ever. Even if you consider each console to be a separate platform PC gaming is still pathetically far behind compared individually against the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and Nintendo Wii. Oh, the graphics look great, but the game sales don't. The game sales look awful.[/citation]

lol. using npd #'s and ignoring digital distribution. hahaha i bought fallout 3, far cry 2, mass effect, and COD 4 all through steam. yeah pc gaming is down,lol just tell that to the millions of tf2, CSS, WOW, and guildwars players. you fail.

genghiskhanid

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2007
I believe tayb isn't that wrong. I've got many friends in various game companies (Eidos, Ubisoft, EA, A2M-which doesn't really count though) and all agree, PC gaming is sadly, slowly dying! Not that I like it, I don't own a console and won't buy one before they stop making some quality games for PC. But as a PC gamer, I need to face the facts, of course, we, as gaming adult consumers, form the most of the PC game sales but consoles have the simplicity that soccer moms need. No drivers, no upgrades, and now, most consoles offer more attractive DLC than PC. I sure wish that the PC would get back up and attract the game developers, but I doubt that the mouvement towards increased console game production will be reversed, and that even though no console will ever be able to rival a PC on graphics/speed/capabilities... Not only that but we all need to realize that developing for a console is alot simpler, all same old hardware!

G

ATI's HD4770 will bring back those who deserted to console...

let's face it, PC gaming? expensive graphics addon that could buy an entire console... thank God for competition...

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Wow did all of you guys forget to read. Seriously. I'll quote myself.

PC Gaming software retail sales for 2008 were at $700 million. Even if you think that retail sales only account for 1/3 of all sales (not even close to realistic) that would put PC gaming at $2.1 billion for the year.

I addressed digital downloads RIGHT THERE.

Everything I said, including that, was spot on.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Even if you conclude that digital downloads account for 75% of PC software sales you are talking about 2.8 billion in YEARLY SOFTWARE SALES. The three big consoles, combined, equaled that in DECEMBER ALONE.

Then if you want to trade each console as a separate platform PC gaming is still fourth or fifth behind every next-generation console and possible even the PS2. It just can't compete.

And yes. I have Steam. I purchased L4D last weekend and The Orange Box the weekend before for $9.99.

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Wow did all of you guys forget to read. Seriously. I'll quote myself. I addressed digital downloads RIGHT THERE. Everything I said, including that, was spot on.[/citation]

Wow, did you guy forget to read?

[citation][nom]Kami3k[/nom][bla,bla,bla] What numbers from retail? NPD?
NPD sucks period. They don't count sales worldwide, and in the US they only count a few retail stores. [bla,bla,bla][/citation]

Cuddles

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
I think Steam is at 2 million customers now and if they are like me they buy a couple games a month just from the weekend sales alone. So Valve is at around 20-40 million a month and that's just minimum. Blizzard stated they make about 1 Billion per year just off WoW. You figure in the other digital services, MMO's, and retail... were looking at around 6-8 Billion at the bare minimum for PC. I believe one company did a study and found that PC alone does as much as all the console platforms combined on average. There was a down turn for a bit but there is begining to be a balance in hardware and games. Steam is doing a lot for new PC Gamers as it makes gaming available for everyone.

Who pays $600-700+ for a good gaming rig?
Who spends money every time a new gen GPU comes out?
Who updates their rigs every 6-8 months?
We gamers do!
The least they could do is get id of DRM and make more NATIVE PC games. Develop for PC first then move on to console (btw me thinks their taking advantage of the superior CPU/GPU power of the PCs to run their bloated code; if they do it the other way the consoles will suffer lolz).

Status
Not open for further replies.