EA Responds To Battlefield Hardline DRM Complaints

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentbb007

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Other than people who are benchmarking I can never see anyone needing to swap out hardware more than 5 times in a 24 hour period. Sounds like cheap software thieves are pissed because they can't buy 1 copy and share it with everyone they know.

If they are selling my hardware data, all I want to know is when does the revenue stream rightfully funnel to me.

Wouldn't a wiser decision to have been, polling Operating System identifiers if this was truly a DRM effort?

Even Steam collects hardware data although I have not experienced or heard of any lockout for changing my hardware. Another failed DRM attempt about to blow up in a developers face. Must be hard to be a content creator and have your brand tarnished by a publisher/distributor.

This week in gaming news: Consumers offended by anti-consumer DRM found in AAA release.

Same as last week, last month, last year, last decade.
Stupid people keep buying it. 12 year olds with parental wallets are truly a scourge on consumer progress.

I don't buy DRM games - barring steam, but steam is fair and unobtrusive. I did buy the Sims 3 via a humble bundle, but I still pirated it because I hate origin. I feel that's morally and ethically OK.

Fierce Guppy

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
"Yet, this limit makes us wonder if EA is having a hard time with customers sharing their Origin account."

Sharing wouldn't be a concern if the number of concurrent connections to a single Origin account is limited to one or two. Does anyone know what the limit is or if there is one?

adonlude

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
Is there no software you can run in the background that can spoof system specs for anything trying to look at them???

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
Other than people who are benchmarking I can never see anyone needing to swap out hardware more than 5 times in a 24 hour period. Sounds like cheap software thieves are pissed because they can't buy 1 copy and share it with everyone they know.

Few years ago i use to do a financial analysis and i was studying a number of Video Game makers. Year over year less and less money is coming from PC gaming and more money and resources is going to consoles. PC gamers don't understand that every time you pirate a game that's money for the company. The less the company makes the less likely they are to develop new games.

I love gaming on PC and that's why i never pirate games.

I suspect 5-10 years from now fewer and fewer games will be PC exclusives.

Fierce Guppy

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
This week in gaming news: Consumers offended by anti-consumer DRM found in AAA release.

Same as last week, last month, last year, last decade.
Stupid people keep buying it. 12 year olds with parental wallets are truly a scourge on consumer progress.

I don't buy DRM games - barring steam, but steam is fair and unobtrusive. I did buy the Sims 3 via a humble bundle, but I still pirated it because I hate origin. I feel that's morally and ethically OK.

A moral person with an objection to Origin would not have downloaded the game. You stole it.

agentbb007

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006

I was wondering who was stupid enough to down vote my comment, then I read your comment and all was made clear.

agentbb007

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006

I bought Hardline with my own money and I'm a 32 year old with a degree in computer science, so I'm neither stupid nor using my parents wallet. I just proved your comment false, good try though.
I will keep buying the games I think are fun so companies will make money and want to develop similar games I like in the future.
You go ahead and keep pirating games and rewarding no one...

I bought the license via humble, tool. One way or another binary is binary - whether you get it from steam or origin or disc. I paid them for their game, which is basically a license to use the binary. I simply didn't want to use the authentication platform they use. What might be "immoral" is if I didn't even buy the game before I pirated a DRM free copy of it. Ultimately, it's still used by the same person, but origin is awful, so I don't want to have to install it additionally.

@agentbb007: Evidently, your degree in computer science did not help with your reading comprehension skills. Did anyone notice that I did buy the game, I simply pirated a copy to get the DRM free version since I don't want steam AND origin, when they cover the same ground?

As far as I'm concerned they got their money for the game. The way I wish to use it is up to me.

OcelotRex

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013

That's where you're wrong. If you did buy the game legally you also agreed to the DRM. Using a pirated version in a manner that the software is not licensed for is wrong. You're just rationalizing your behavior to be something that it is not.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Consumers vote with their wallets. If you're that anti-DRM, it's your duty to vote "no" and not buy it. Of course, there are two ways to vote no: Not buying it, or instead pirating it. Piracy isn't exactly the most moral decision, but it's still a vote of "no."

The problem with the above person that paid for it and then pirated it to avoid the DRM is that he paid EA their money. He still voted "yes" for the DRM by giving EA their money.

I'll fully admit, I used to pirate games all the time. And then Steam and Humble Bundle came along and I've never had to pay more than $5 for a game since. Suddenly, my entire library is paid for, I've bought legal copies of the games I used to pirate, and now everything's on the up-and-up. But this is just demonstrable of the idea that piracy is a reaction to poor customer service. And this very anti-consumer DRM is indeed very poor customer service, and it will result in a loss of sales.

If these massive, juggernaut companies would just put some faith in their consumers for once and get rid of all this horrible DRM nonsense, they'd be surprised at the inevitable positive reaction they'd receive from that move. Because DRM doesn't do anything but punish legitimate customers for the piracy of others.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
I don't buy the whole "PC gamers pirate games and bring in less money"

lol consoles are riddled with DRM. Whats worse is, the buyer can sell their used game to someone else which effectivly takes money out of developers wallets.

Same effect as pirating a pc game. The only difference is, Console sells more titles period because there are more console gamers.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
I don't buy the whole "PC gamers pirate games and bring in less money"

lol consoles are riddled with DRM. Whats worse is, the buyer can sell their used game to someone else which effectivly takes money out of developers wallets.

Same effect as pirating a pc game. The only difference is, Console sells more titles period because there are more console gamers.

Jason, that's what they stated in their financial fillings. Companies tend not to lie in those because they are legal documents and like i said you can see a trend, year over year less and less money is going into PC gaming titles.

Also these days fewer and fewer disk based games are sold, i actually do not have a single Xbox game that is on the disk. I purchased the code and have digital copy.

Also honestly do you like coffee? A game costs as much as what 5 cups of coffee, i mean come on, you can just drink what they give you at work or make your own for one week and just buy a game. If you are into PC gaming you simply can not really be poor lol, not when you need a $200 GPU just to launch a game.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Yeah, because "cheap software thieves" typically have one of their friends buy something so they can share the account. I'm sure "cheap software thieves" are eagerly awaiting the day where they can use their high speed internet connections to download copies of games that have had the DRM removed entirely. But until then, I guess they have to keep living in the 1980s where piracy exists only on the sneakernet.

TallestJon96

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2014
Piracy is a damned shame. I hope devs can find a good way to make people actually buy their games. I think heavily server based games will be able to deal with it eventually, but every time a game's anti piracy is broken, it's that much more of as reason for devs to go console first.

This particular instance of DRM isn't too bad, and only benchmarkers and thieves should really care. But steam's DRM has never been intrusive at all for me, so origin needs to get their act together.

Edit:
I originally posted this with the position that DRM was primarily used to prevent piracy. However, after looking around a bit, I realize that DRM is primarily used to prevent game sharing, which is ridiculous. If a consumer purchases a game, he should have the right to share the game as though he had a physical disk. DRM is discouraging legitimate purchases of games, and is hurting the industry as a whole.

jabliese

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

Few years ago i use to do a financial analysis and i was studying a number of Video Game makers. Year over year less and less money is coming from PC gaming and more money and resources is going to consoles. PC gamers don't understand that every time you pirate a game that's money for the company. The less the company makes the less likely they are to develop new games.

I love gaming on PC and that's why i never pirate games.

I suspect 5-10 years from now fewer and fewer games will be PC exclusives.

And might it be the DRM is hurting PC game sales? Nah, couldn't be.

Kadathan

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
Piracy is a damned shame. I hope devs can find a good way to make people actually buy their games. I think heavily server based games will be able to deal with it eventually, but every time a game's anti piracy is broken, it's that much more of as reason for devs to go console first.

This particular instance of DRM isn't too bad, and only benchmarkers and thieves should really care. But steam's DRM has never been intrusive at all for me, so origin needs to get their act together.

I used to hate Origin, but in reality, what's so bad about it? I have an internet connection, I launch origin when I want to play a game I have on it, the game loads, my interaction with Origin is complete. The only gripes I can possibly take with it are that it's chat system is probably the most barren, featureless piece of shit ever made, and also that it isn't steam so it often has an update waiting when I launch it.

Can we really hate a platform for not being steam? I mean is that really a thing? "Greedy sons of b*^$#%s didn't want to give free money to Valve, so they made their own not stream distro program. The f%$*ing nerve."

It's exactly the move each and every one of us would have made if we were in charge of EA, and it's at the very most a minor inconvenience to the end user.
DRM sucks and achieves very little except to cause problems for legitimate customers, but I'm through being pissed off all the time because I'm entitled to have access to all of my programs, every moment that I might possibly be capable of loading them. Life's too short to care about this stuff, pay for games you like, don't buy games if you disagree with something about them, everything else is a fact of the industry now.

Status
Not open for further replies.