EA Says It Can't Guarantee SW:TOR Pre-Orders

Status
Not open for further replies.

saxplayingcompnerd

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2010
EA is worthless. Companies that screw over customers because they don't want to dip into their insane profits should be fined for every game they don't supply on release day. They need to buckle under and get pay up. People put up their money before they even knew when the game was going to be released. EA should cough up the cash to let all of them play the game that they paid ahead of time for.

kyee7k

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Like Star Trek Online, I'll wait a year or so for them to iron out the game before I purchase the standard game. Hopefully, the demo will include 2-3 missions instead of the 1 in STO.

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Of course they guarantee cannot. Difficult to see the future is, even for Jedi, much less the dark-side clouded minds of corporate imperials ...

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Hmmm I pre-ordered 2 copies with the early access...doesn't seem right to have early access but not be able to play :( Guess I'll wait and see on release if I can play or not.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
.. Eh all hype.. IMO.. Although kyee why wait.. I personally find the first year to be the funnest.. Granted it does have the most bugs any everything, but that can actually be the fun part.

G

The author of this article leaves out ALOT of pertinent info! Anyone who pre-orders the game will receive an early access code. The quicker you pre-order, and enter the code, the quicker you will be given early access. If you get the collector's edition it will be 6 or 7 days. The standard and digital deluxe versions will get you 3 days. This has been done countless other times with other games. When early acces is granted, you will have the ability to download the game from EA's website, and then play! A physical copy of the game will ONLY be neccessary after the early access period expires. And in case there is a screw up, and there isn't enough physical copies of the game to cover all the pre-orders, I can 100% guarantee you that they will extend the early access period. This later problem HAS occured, and the game company did just what I said: extended the grace period! It was by a couple of weeks too! Do you honestly think that they will mess this up? It's only been the most anticipated game/MMO in the last 3 or 4 years! They also stated, that they will use a process called "sharding" in the event that the servers get too crowded or overwhelmed with players logging in! Sharding basically copies the area of the game world that you are in, so that their are multiple "instances" of it. That way if tons of players are in that particular area, there wont be over-crowding! I am not in anyway saying that problems won't arise, but they have plans in place to cover any issues that might crop up. It will all lie in the execution of those plans.

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Why couldn't they just generate the serial keys for the customers and distribute them (together with the game) via internet (download)? And ship the physical boxes later?
Perhaps they know their servers won't be able to handle the load and this is just an excuse.

G

@ martel80, that is exactly what they are doing. You pre-order, you register your code at swtor.com/preorder. When the head start begins (or just before) you'll be able to download the client from Origin and start playing. Your box will come later.

chronicbint

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
I was going to preorder the digital download, only to find its hideously expensive and cheaper to buy a physical copy. Why? WHY? robbing gippos.

G

I don't have to worry. I refuse to pay $60 for the game itself, let alone the additional monthly charge.

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]I don't have to worry. I refuse to pay $60 for the game itself, let alone the additional monthly charge.[/citation]

I think you and I are the only sane people left. Humanity is doomed with all these morons who $150.00 for a game, and then will be pay ~$15 a month on top of that. God bless Steam summer/xmas sales!

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]chronicbint[/nom]I was going to preorder the digital download, only to find its hideously expensive and cheaper to buy a physical copy. Why? WHY? robbing gippos.[/citation]
Look at the extras the digital copy comes with. That's why it costs more. If it wasn't for the fact that the digital copy is through Origin exclusively, I would have preordered that one.

chronicbint

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2007
[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]Look at the extras the digital copy comes with. That's why it costs more. If it wasn't for the fact that the digital copy is through Origin exclusively, I would have preordered that one.[/citation]

Digital copy has a few in game items, nothing worth the extra premium for. Not talking about the special edition, the STANDARD copy is stupidly expensive.

Sabiancym

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
[citation][nom]Trialsking[/nom]I think you and I are the only sane people left. Humanity is doomed with all these morons who $150.00 for a game, and then will be pay ~$15 a month on top of that. God bless Steam summer/xmas sales![/citation]

No, I believe you two are the only economically challenged people left.

$15 a month for a game that many play for 20+ hours a week is an amazing deal. If someone buys a new game every 4 months, they're essentially paying exactly the same as an MMO gamer.

I'm so sick of people bitching about subscription fees. It's nowhere near as cut and dry as you think it is.

How about you go make fun of people who invest their money in the stock market. Obviously it's something you can't understand, so putting money into it has to be stupid right? They could use a good laugh. We've had enough of you.

G

[citation][nom]Sabiancym[/nom]No, I believe you two are the only economically challenged people left.$15 a month for a game that many play for 20+ hours a week is an amazing deal. If someone buys a new game every 4 months, they're essentially paying exactly the same as an MMO gamer.I'm so sick of people bitching about subscription fees. It's nowhere near as cut and dry as you think it is. How about you go make fun of people who invest their money in the stock market. Obviously it's something you can't understand, so putting money into it has to be stupid right? They could use a good laugh. We've had enough of you.[/citation]

You're an idiot. This isn't about subscription fees, it's about the fact that publishers are charging $60 for a game that should only be $40-50. Economically challenged? No. Smart and understanding of the value of money? Yes.

It's fools, such as yourself, who bend to the will of these companies that allows them to charge such outrageous prices. I bet if they increased it to $70 (or even $80) for the base game, that you'd still pay it. Guess what? Now they have reason to believe you'll pay the same price for EVERY other game they release thereafter.

G

Is the game itself worth $60?
1) over 100 hours per toon to complete
2) full voiceover
3) like 12 novels worth or story/content
4) its star wars. The blurays are $90 and thats only like 12 hours
5) halo legendary was $150. News flash...halo has NOTHING on this game.
6) did i mention it was star wars?
7) and why is someone a moron because they spend money on something they like? Some people would call you a moron for spending $300 on a gpu or $150 on a motherboard
8) and yes...i bought the ce and cant wait.

G

Having unauthorized but highly reliable insider info I can tell you that the pre-order limits were done because Lucas and Bioware wanted a scaled launch. Even for digital sales there is a limit by retailer and language (en, fr and de) so that they can properly calculate server needs for launch date.

There are some that will hate on EA for limiting sales but it is more about Lucas and Bioware having tight control and high quality desires over things other than just profits. You gamers should applaud that.

For what it is worth to you all... based on my inside info overall EA really does care about games and gamers. Sure there were recent dark periods and bad decisions and yes it is a publicly traded company having to make a profit but everybody I know there is all about the games (and not just EA games).

kyee7k

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
[citation][nom]gnookergi[/nom]You're an idiot. This isn't about subscription fees, it's about the fact that publishers are charging $60 for a game that should only be $40-50. Economically challenged? No. Smart and understanding of the value of money? Yes.It's fools, such as yourself, who bend to the will of these companies that allows them to charge such outrageous prices. I bet if they increased it to $70 (or even $80) for the base game, that you'd still pay it. Guess what? Now they have reason to believe you'll pay the same price for EVERY other game they release thereafter.[/citation]
Wait a year if price is an issue. STO at launch was around $60. It's current price is around $5-10 (standard, digital deluxe, respectively). On blue moon sales, Steam, Amazon, EA, etc. should post sales more to your liking.

G

They can charge what the market will bear. I know that may be difficult for you to understand economically speaking...

christop

Distinguished
EA sucks keep you 15 dollar monthly fee for a game you will change after players got their stats build up then do an update and screw all the players over.. Umm can you say TigerWoods online golf.

Hotobu

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
I am not ashamed to say that I just put down an order for 6 of these, and they will go on Ebay when the demand calls for it. If not I'll gladly return them and get my money back.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
EA Sucks donkey Ds and this is BS. You mean they can't get their China manufacturer to put out enough cheap plastic figurines or stamp enough 20 cent DVDs in time, right. I smell marketing hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.