News EA Says 'Jedi: Survivor' Patches Coming to Address Excessive VRAM Consumption

At this point, I’m certain that EA and Respawn were fully aware of these optimization issues. Yet, in order to avoid the launches of The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom and Diablo 4, EA decided to release this broken mess on both PC and consoles.

However, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor also suffers from issues that are not related to its performance.

For instance, the Steam version forces you to use the EA app. In other words, you’ll have two launchers with completely different DRMs in the background running. Add to this the Denuvo DRM and yeah, things are starting to get a bit messy (although not all games using DENUVO are on the same boat).

And while we are at it, let’s not forget the traversal stutters that plague yet another triple-A release. Thank You EA !

And also get this. For changing the in-game settings, you must use the WASD keys. You can’t change them with the mouse or the arrow keys. What the heck ? Seriously ? :ouch: :sweatsmile:

There are also multiple reports of the game not at all launching while using an Intel Core i9 9900K CPU. It just crashes to the desktop. At least 15 users have reported this just now, so this can't be a coincidence. So what's going with this horrible PC port ?

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
I have to wonder how much performance is being compromised by Denuvo. The weird performance metrics and benchmarking problems tell me the game has a very aggressive DRM implementation. I remember way back in 2004 when performance of Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 was crippled when the day-night cycle switched to night. DRM was quickly blamed. The devs took many months to partially fix the obscure error, and then ultimately removed the DRM altogether. People who stripped out the DRM didn't have to wait. The performance difference between retail and DRM-free was HUGE -- double FPS at night. I learned the lesson to watch out for DRM thanks to RCT3.

I'm sure EA will patch the problems with their Star Wars game. They probably won't patch them fast enough. I'm seeing complaints from players on PS5 which tells me this game is severely undercooked. I don't understand why people keep giving AAA games day-one money when we all know the first couple months of an AAA game's lifespan are spent beta testing.

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
Companies have learned they can keep releasing broken games and offload the beta testing to the player base because the player base happily keeps giving them money for the privilege to do so each release. Half-finished games and day 0 patches have become the norm because enough people keep buying them every time they come out that companies realized they can still make a profit regardless of quality control.

It really is one of those "vote with your wallet" issues, but as always with "vote with your wallet" the people that don't care and will happily pay for the game regardless of quality will always outnumber those who do care, and who would prefer to see a finished game on release.

I've adjusted my frame of reference so that I just treat the release of a game as the equivalent of it coming out on Early Access on Steam where you can buy it now if you just absolutely can't wait to play it despite it being unfinished, and the "true release" being once all of the final patches/fixes have been made for it. Usually by that time there's a chance it's been marked down a bunch too, so its sort of a win-win. All I have to exchange is my time, which is fine since there are already so many games out there I can play while waiting for other people to beta test the game for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdragon
For instance, the Steam version forces you to use the EA app. In other words, you’ll have two launchers with completely different DRMs in the background running
i have multiple games which are linked to multiple launchers and all of them can be run just from single launcher, ea and ubisoft games all use their own launcher, they ignore steam/epic/microsoft because they are linked (online)..so no, you can close steam if you scared you get too much ram used in background from steam

People who stripped out the DRM didn't have to wait. The performance difference between retail and DRM-free was HUGE -- double FPS at night. I learned the lesson to watch out for DRM thanks to RCT3.
get games from GOG, its legit without any DRM

Last edited:

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
Saw the benchmarks today, actually nothing wrong with AMD cards, only Nvidia lol. The 7900XTX runs it 120fps smooth like a butter 4K, the 6700XT is the one to play it at 60fps 1080l but so is the 3070.. it's a game that favors AMD and it's ok, good for AMD owners. It's not EA to patch this but Nvidia

JamesJones44

Reputable
Jan 22, 2021
Saw the benchmarks today, actually nothing wrong with AMD cards, only Nvidia lol. The 7900XTX runs it 120fps smooth like a butter 4K, the 6700XT is the one to play it at 60fps 1080l but so is the 3070.. it's a game that favors AMD and it's ok, good for AMD owners. It's not EA to patch this but Nvidia

That's like an application optimizing for ARM (aarch64v8) and saying well in runs like crap on an AMD 7950x, guess it's on AMD to fix their instruction set to be more like ARM.

Reactions: KyaraM
saw some benchamrks
RX6800 XT 30-60fps on 1440p with lots of framedrops and maxed vram usage looks fine to you?

Colif

Win 11 Master
if the difference between AMD & Nvidia is related to the driver overhead, Nvidia can't fix it in software or in any GPU that have already been made as its a hardware process that is related to GPU scheduling. Its just how the driver is handled by the hardware.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
umm nvidia has gpu hardware scheduling, while amd not
I think you clearly got this wrong. The reason why Nvidia cards are very CPU limited at 1080p and 1440p is because they don't use hardware scheduling. This was something that Hardware Unboxed covered when they reviewed Ampere. I don't think Nvidia did anything to address this issue with Ada. On the other hand, this is where AMD have an advantage. But of course the argument is that people buying a RTX 4090 for example, are less likely to game at lower resolution.

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
saw some benchamrks
RX6800 XT 30-60fps on 1440p with lots of framedrops and maxed vram usage looks fine to you?

I know it sucks but our GPUs do get obsolete. A 6600xt is what you need to play 60fps on a game like God of war which came yeeaars ago, you dont expect it to keep running games at 60fps forever right? This game plays at 60/1080p on a 6700XT as I said.. if you up the power to a 6800XT but also ups the resolution to 1440p, not necessarily you are going to get 60fps the same.. maybe it will just get around 50 and that's it. If that's not enough for you then you need a 6900XT or to get back to 1080p or scale down the graphics. People complaining about VRAM usage also on Hogwarts.. RE.. last of Us.. etc.. well that's how it's going to be now and I'm fine with it because although graphics cards are getting beaten up we are getting prettier graphics..

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
"The 'Jedi: Survivor' team has confirmed they are aware of the significant performance issues affecting some PC users, noting that the impact seems to apply to those using high-end machines with newer graphics cards."

They are aware of course. How can they not have picked this issue up in their testing before releasing to public? This just proves that people should not waste money pre-ordering broken games. Blaming it on "newer" graphic cards and high end system don't make a lot of sense. If a high/mid end system can barely handle the game because of the crazy VRAM requirement, I don't believe an older or lower end graphic card will do any better.

Ironically, they previously delayed the release covered in the below link,

“We are now focused entirely on the final stage: bug fixes to enhance performance, stability, polish, and most importantly, the player experience.

The developer added, “In order for the team to hit the Respawn quality bar, provide the team the time they need, and achieve the level of polish our fans deserve, we have added six crucial weeks to our release schedule.”

Yet, it got released with all these issues. Sadly, this is the "Respawn quality bar" which is very low.

"The 'Jedi: Survivor' team has confirmed they are aware of the significant performance issues affecting some PC users, noting that the impact seems to apply to those using high-end machines with newer graphics cards."

They are aware of course. How can they not have picked this issue up in their testing before releasing to public? This just proves that people should not waste money pre-ordering broken games. Blaming it on "newer" graphic cards and high end system don't make a lot of sense. If a high/mid end system can barely handle the game because of the crazy VRAM requirement, I don't believe an older or lower end graphic card will do any better.

Ironically, they previously delayed the release covered in the below link,

“We are now focused entirely on the final stage: bug fixes to enhance performance, stability, polish, and most importantly, the player experience.

The developer added, “In order for the team to hit the Respawn quality bar, provide the team the time they need, and achieve the level of polish our fans deserve, we have added six crucial weeks to our release schedule.”

Yet, it got released with all these issues. Sadly, this is the "Respawn quality bar" which is very low.
Who are we talking about? The publisher or the game development studio? Almost all devs I have met want all the time in the world to make their games perfect at launch for their fans and customers. Games producers, the people who invest the money and control launch dates among other things, are to blame for over hyped marketing and bad releases. I have never met a developer who wanted to prematurely release a game.

Mark_166

Distinguished
May 23, 2016

What even are you talking about? On the 7900 XTX there are constant scenes in the 30s and 40s for FPS at 4K. Example:
View: https://youtu.be/G5goPPylXEk?t=3389

He spends quite a bit of his 2-hour gaming session at 30 - 45 FPS. There's also quite a bit of stutter in some areas throughout that video (and he's using a 13900K). The game also underperforms on PS5 and Xbox Series X with constant frame drops and stutters. It's not running well anywhere.

What even are you talking about? On the 7900 XTX there are constant scenes in the 30s and 40s for FPS at 4K. Example:
View: https://youtu.be/G5goPPylXEk?t=3389

He spends quite a bit of his 2-hour gaming session at 30 - 45 FPS. There's also quite a bit of stutter in some areas throughout that video (and he's using a 13900K). The game also underperforms on PS5 and Xbox Series X with constant frame drops and stutters. It's not running well anywhere.
4k epic settings with ray tracing + no fsr
at 13:37 he enables fsr quality mode and goes 60-80fps
at 18:50 he disables fsr and goes back to 40s

UWguy

Commendable
Jan 13, 2021
Huh? The 4090 at 4k demolishes the 7900XTX. Would love to know where you’re getting your info from:

Apr 29, 2023
Seriously fed up with the "let's release a beta product and just patch it later" approach that's become so prevalent in software (and games in particular).

In which other domain would you be expected to buy a product that was known to be faulty, on the promise that at some unspecified point in the future it'll be fixed?

Sadly this trend has somehow been allowed to become the norm.