EA Shuts Down Visceral Games

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Importantly, we are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency, "

In other words EA wants an open world Ubisoft collectathon with countless hours of grinding and pointless "side missions" (i.e. fetch quests) because that's what everyone wants apparently. Personally I prefer more focused story/gameplay, but whatever; EA knows best /sarc.

TMRichard

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2015
"Importantly, we are shifting the game to be a broader experience that allows for more variety and player agency"
Soooo Microtransactions right? I assume that's what they mean... Honestly EA "knows" it's audience and they do love money so....

The "Shifting..." caught my eye.

What EA and Patrick Söderlund did to Slightly Mad Studios over the Need for Speed Shift / Shift 2 titles* tells you everything you need to know about how they really feel about studios. Loan a lot of cash with an exclusivity deal attached, sign on for a sequel (Shift 3), let them spend the money, cancel the sequel to put them in jeopardy due to having nothing else in the pipeline, feed on team members' fear and uncertainty, and steal key members away to very nearly destroy the company completely.

The silver lining is they recovered to bring us Project Cars and eventually got their whole team back away from EA after those that left realized how terrible it was there.

Source (afaik EA hasn't responded to the accusation)

Luckily EA didn't get their grubby paws on the beloved CDPR.

I expect Bioware's 'Anthem' to employ a team of psychologists to steer development toward gambling and addiction. Check actual players' reviews a month or so after the honeymoon period wears off to see if its any good. I mean hopefully the gameplay feels rewarding, and not a slog meant to take advantage.

I can't believe I forgot to mention lootboxes in my post. You obviously can't have "player agency" without lootboxes.

Basically open world >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Linear gameplay... (sarcasm)

Yeah, the reason behind Naughty Dog games success... OPEN WORLD BABY!@!! :eyesrollingoutoforbitsandfallingonthefloorexploding:

Hey, CDPR was smart enough to understand the business from Valve. GOG is literally preventing EA from acquiring them.

therickmu25

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
"In other words EA wants an open world Ubisoft collectathon with countless hours of grinding and pointless "side missions" (i.e. fetch quests)".

BINGO. With lootboxes, paid keys to open those lootboxes, and 4 special editions at launch up to $120 that gives you "Free" multiplayer character skins.

seadrive

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
The two oldest companies still making tons of cash are EA and Activision...boy I miss their past forms...they were such cool companies with cool ideas.

sinewave242

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
What really bothers me these days is that games absolutely lack imagination. They all start with a guy that shoots various weapons and some kind of scenario. Is that really all we can do? What about absolutely amazing point and click adventures that play like films? Not enough imagination to do that I suppose. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.