Eager Fan Campaigns for Windows 7 Release Now

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FSXFan

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Holy crap the masses are speaking up, all of 149 people have signed it now. I mean with that many people demanding it MS is SURE to release it early next week or so. Surely there will be rioting in the streets if not, who's with me?

/no I didn't sign it
//awful jackass

G

You have no idea of what it takes to complete a new Operating System. Do you want another Vista or ME?? You are a freakin idiot!

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
I have been trying to find reasons to upgrade as I have a few extra bucks lying around. The taskbar thing looked interesting until I made Vista's taskbar look just like the images online. You can do this by unlocking the taskbar and changing the view to large icons. Then there was the whole organizing of your programs and desktop. Well you can modify your start menu and quick launch in vista to accomplish the same thing. UAC can easily be adjusted in Vista to the level of notification desired.

I've exhausted my search. So I am downloading a copy of the beta version to try it for myself.

Who knows, this may be the OS that I skip like Win2000 and ME.

I really like Vista 64. I wish Microsoft has more up it's sleeve than a few Mac rip offs.

Maybe 7 is simply Vista in sheep's clothing. This will definitely fool the lesser of our species.

I will need more than pretty wallpaper to make me buy it.

Here's a thought. Make it faster. Give me a reason to buy another 6 gigs of fast ram.

This reminds me of a Walmart story. A vendor had some cheap BBQ tools that just wouldn't sell for $4.99. With thousands of these sets in stock, they took them back for re-packaging. They spent over $5 a piece on the new full color packaging. Long story short... they all sold @ $19.99

I hope that this is not the case. If it is, that's okay because Vista 64 works great for me. No driver or compatibility issues here. Everything that I plug in just works.

ravenware

Distinguished
May 17, 2005
[citation][nom]caskachan[/nom]microsoft, make your os faster and esier to use, not slower and more intricate ![/citation]

Win7 is easier to use than XP

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
[citation][nom]jrabbitb[/nom]@TwoDigitalAgreed, this is like hearing some lady got her cat stuck in a tree on the local news.[/citation]

I'm sure Kelly's sexual relationship with Windows 7 will be boring by August. Strange news BTW. I never thought that in the middle of many tech news I would find some "offtopic" post. LoL we rarely get to see the lady that got her cat stuck on some stick on the local news.

And guys, I really meant a cat, don't go any further with the stick word :)

As for Windows 7, there are several improved aspects at the time of the beta. But as other users in here says: there are a lot of areas that still needs a LOT of work. But that's what Betas are for: gathering as much data as possible from the current user experience to tackle the unstable aspects of the OS. In other words, (assuming you're not using it as the main OS), let's hope it crashes as much as it can so the developers get the code fixed up.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]A lot of haters on here. Mac fans are scared. It was easy to bash Vista because it was a resource hog, had an ugly GUI, had a ton of driver problems, and a myriad of compatibility issues. Not so easy to bash Windows 7. Even at the beta stage fans are already grasping at straws. Ever heard the saying "Don't kick a sleeping dog?" You kicked.[/citation]

Vista never hogged my resources. The UI isnt ugly and drivers are the faults of people like ati and nvidia who actualy make the drivers. Course i never had problems with ME either ( or any other windows OS ) dunno i used ever windows since 2.0 other then needing to upgrade some programs and hardware to be used in the new windows i have had no issues with a windows yet. Course one thing i dont do is load 3rd party programs and bloat my computer with usless toolbars and additional browers or open all my spam mail or click yes to every download prompt i get.

dfketchum

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
I downloaded Windows 7 Beta two days after Microsoft released the Beta. I'm running the software on a Dell XPS 1210 laptop. So far my experience with the new operating software has been fantastic. I have had no glitches to report. Windows 7 is by far more stable than the most current Vista release.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
I don't mean to be the only "pro vista" guy, however I just use my computer for a few things & I do find vista alot better for my day to day use over XP, more responsive, faster to find my files, nicer look to it along with the easier widescreen standard as I found it difficult to get the right resolution with xp,,I know there have been driver issues, etc & I do believe Microsoft should actually focus their attention to fixing whatever most people have issues with Vista, before releasing another OS,,

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Liuqyn[/nom]I say release it now before Microsoft has time to put all the bugs in.[/citation]

I hope you were joking. ...They post windows updates for free. Why the hell would they take up space on their servers and waste bandwidth to fix stuff they broke on purpose.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Releasing now would be a major mistake.. I went back to Vista because I was sick of extracting all my disc images to the hdd. When Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% works on Win7, I might go back to it. Other than the hassles caused by that, I liked Win7.

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
After installing 7 I must say that I like it.
Maybe it is the placebo effect but I feel that it's a little faster.
IE8 is okay. I am not sure if I will use the extra features over IE7.
Is the snipping tool new? That is kinda cool. They even changed "paint" after 10 years.

After using the taskbar for a few hours, I like the changes. It is almost Mac-like. I like Macs, just not the typical Mac user.

My games seem to work well. I still haven't tried Moviemaker. Nero and Clone DVD seem to work fine.

They dumbed down quite a few things. This will appeal to new users and Mac users.

Microsoft rushed Vista out the door and also overestimated the intelligence of the average user. These two things spelled doom for Vista.

Make it pretty, make it easier to use, add a few cool features, and call it something different.

Microsoft did learn from their mistakes, that's for sure. If they really wanted 7 to take over the world they would leave the beta open for downloading for the next few months. I realize that the logistics of this may not make it feasible. However this would have millions of people trying the OS. Even drug dealers give out drugs for free until you are hooked.

I personally will probably pay for 7 once the beta program is over. I don't want to go through the hassle of re-installing vista 64 again. I backed up everything on my other Vista 64 HTPC so even if 7 blows up, I am covered.

Where's the link to sign this lady's petition?

Just kidding.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Windows 7 is basically a minor tweak that Microsoft should be giving Windows 7 away to Vista customers as a way of saying I'm sorry. Infact Window 7 is as slow and bloated as Vista. Basically Microsoft is putting lipstick on the Vista pig... Why anyone would be willing to give Microsoft more money for Vista I just don't know.

G

I bloody thing that this is a marketing trick from Microsoft and nothing more. Windows Vista was a complete disaster and Windows7 to Vista is the same as Windows98 SE to Windows 98.

What is the 'real' innovation that will drive people to switch from WindowsXP?? I have a Bloody 4GB machine, and after loading Vista 64bit, there's 1GB free o RAM for God's shake! Vista and all the other OSes following just want to kill every single hardware: VGAs that doesn't support Aero and DirectX, Motherboards who do not support 8GB RAM, slow ATA HDDs, cheap peripherals, etc etc.

So, a voice saying, "Give us the divine new OS" is really really a dump voice, or a marketer's voice! :D

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]anonymous4365098[/nom]I bloody thing that this is a marketing trick from Microsoft and nothing more. Windows Vista was a complete disaster and Windows7 to Vista is the same as Windows98 SE to Windows 98.What is the 'real' innovation that will drive people to switch from WindowsXP?? I have a Bloody 4GB machine, and after loading Vista 64bit, there's 1GB free o RAM for God's shake! Vista and all the other OSes following just want to kill every single hardware: VGAs that doesn't support Aero and DirectX, Motherboards who do not support 8GB RAM, slow ATA HDDs, cheap peripherals, etc etc. So, a voice saying, "Give us the divine new OS" is really really a dump voice, or a marketer's voice![/citation]

First off your vista to win7 and compairing it to 98 to 98se is garbage. Vista is fine for me and has been for over a year.

And maybe you should learn something about how vista actualy uses unused memory that every other OS MS made has just let sit wasted. I have 8 gigs and at times i only have 256megs free but if you stay ignorant youll just assume the OS is actualy using all that ram for its self. Of course 80% of the problems i ever see people have with vista is the fact they rather remain ignorant of vista and just jump on the bandwaggon of hatting it for no reason other then to hate it. I used XP since beta and i cant say i would want to go back. I am however reminded of when XP came out. All the same crap being said only different OS and this time they wana go back to the OS they wanted scrapped so they could keep using windows 98. Now the same people are doing it again only now the OS they wanted scrapped is the one they want to keep. Highly ammusing.

Please use a mac and stuff it. Or linux hell i dont care just stuff it.

[citation][nom]keither5150[/nom]It is almost Mac-like. This will appeal to new users and Mac users.[citation]

This is actualy the first thing i heard about Win 7 that made me think twice about installing the beta.

G

Windows 7 has many drivers of older pc's unavailable; also many powersettings (like display brightness, or FN + Vol Up/Dn) don't work yet.

A smaller issue is boot restore does not include other operatingsystems in the bootmenu yet!

many things beneath the surface don't work yet as it should!

I'm not so fond of Win7, since XP still is a faster, better OS; especially for pc's with slower than a core2duo 5500/7200 series

i would agree to that LOL. to ban Kelly Poe from the internet all together LOL

staying on topic I'm not looking forward to windows 7 much because i am one one of the sane people who knows Vista is a stable and better OS then XP but sense windows 7 feels more like a vista update I'm sure i will get it down the road. Here's hoping windows 7 will have the new WinFS file system

keither5150

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2008
I very much like the browsing compared to XP and Vista. I am still not sure if I will pony up the cash for a new OS.

Anyword on a 64 bit flash app? The 32 bit IE doesn't seem to work for me. It might be because I didn't do a clean install.

If someone could shed some light on the subject, I would appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.