News Early Intel 10th Gen Comet Lake Pricing Shines Light on Potential AMD Rivals

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

joeblowsmynose

Distinguished
66158.png

Yes, these are full system power stats. Note that system power is 200W more than a i7 4770k system. Would you like to argue that the AMD system not including the CPU pulls the same wattage as a fully loaded i7 4770k plus the rest of the system? Clearly the 9590 was capable of pulling WAY beyond 200W's, which shouldn't be surprising considering even AMD rated the TDP at 220W. In order to hit 250W with a 9900k, you have to run a power bomb test like prime 95 (more stressfull than OCCT) and run AVX code (not possible on 9590). Even sadder, the 9590 wasn't even a true 8 core CPU.

I am quite certain that my argument was that I didn't forget about the 9590, showing (with example given) the 9590 pulled between 300 and 350watts as a full system at the wall (I checked three or for reviews and the power at the outlet ranged from 300 - 350), and that the 10900k is rumoured to pull 300w+ at the socket.

Was I not clear with that?

Not sure how all this discussion went from me saying the 10700k would be a better choice than the 10900k, to an AMD vs Intel argument, to an argument that now somehow includes some very nebulous speculations regarding a 4770k ...

The 10900k is going to run hot as hades under a full load ... still. No amount of arguing, deflection, logical fallacy, word traps, unicorn poo, etc. is going to change this.

Last edited:
Even sadder, the 9590 wasn't even a true 8 core CPU.
Technically, that depends on the workload. It was an 8-core CPU at integer calculation, just not at floating point. I guess it would depend on exactly what kinds of calculations were being performed in that stress test.

I don't think many would argue that the Bulldozer architecture and its derivatives were particularly great though, and pushing a mediocre architecture to its limits with clock speeds around 5GHz on a 32nm process back in 2013 didn't exactly make for a very compelling product.