[SOLVED] Easiest way to construct on drive factory reset System for win 10?

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Hello Every one ,

I have a Notebook which had on drive factory resetting partition with Win 10 on it.

The SSD drive died out and I need to reconstruct the factory resetting partition again from scratch.

I have no idea how to do it .. can any one help ?

I dont want to use the USB flash and download drivers and endless reboots each time I want to factory reset the system...

I want to reconstruct it as it was.

It's too late now. You cannot reconstruct it as it was if you did not make a backup of your system somewhere else.

You need to download the OS on a flash drive and reinstall Windows on a new SSD. This isn't a cellphone. You cannot factory reset it if it broke. Factory reset can be done on an healthy SSD when you already have an OS installed.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
It's too late now. You cannot reconstruct it as it was if you did not make a backup of your system somewhere else.

You need to download the OS on a flash drive and reinstall Windows on a new SSD. This isn't a cellphone. You cannot factory reset it if it broke. Factory reset can be done on an healthy SSD when you already have an OS installed.

It is not too late , There was many hidden partitions with win10 files on them and the drivers ... plus a hidden partition that has the factory reset setting and factory reset boot program ..

I just need to know how to reconstruct it again.

Actually any one with windows 10 iso can make Factory reset partitions for any machine .. but it needs some knowledge thats all . and I think it is inside windows 10 utilities.

It is not too late , There was many hidden partitions with win10 files on them and the drivers ... plus a hidden partition that has the factory reset setting and factory reset boot program ..

I just need to know how to reconstruct it again.

Actually any one with windows 10 iso can make Factory reset partitions for any machine .. but it needs some knowledge thats all . and I think it is inside windows 10 utilities.

Not if the drive is broken. You say it died. What drive are you using now? Your post is not very clear by the way.

What do you want to do exactly and on what drive? What is your specs? More details is required.

You cannot reconstruct anything on a broken drive.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Not if the drive is broken. You say it died. What drive are you using now? Your post is not very clear by the way.

What do you want to do exactly and on what drive? What is your specs? More details is required.

You cannot reconstruct anything on a broken drive.

lol .. you think I dont know that I cant install on broken drive ?

I will wait for the experts.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
The original Factory Reset you get from the manufacturer.
You can't reconstruct it from a broken drive.

I have the new SSD ready , and win iso , the bios has the win 10 pro key ...

and I know how to make hidden partitions and how to copy the iso into one of them.

The thing I dont know how to do , is how to copy full system with full drivers installed into a hidden partition and then make the system boot into recovery mode and the next steps.

The partitions need to be hidden so if a Virus infects the system it will not "see" the original factory reset files.

I know how to make images and use backup images , but I want it all on the SSD without the need of usb flashes or any utilities outside windows .

USAFRet

Titan
I have the new SSD ready , and win iso , the bios has the win 10 pro key ...

and I know how to make hidden partitions and how to copy the iso into one of them.

The thing I dont know how to do , is how to copy full system with full drivers installed into a hidden partition and then make the system boot into recovery mode and the next steps.

The partitions need to be hidden so if a Virus infects the system it will not "see" the original factory reset files.
That's not the way it works.
If you want something "safe"...you have that on a different drive or system.

A hidden partition is of no use when that physical drive dies.

So, you install this OS on the desired drive.
Then you create an actual backup on some other location. NOT that same drive.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
That's not the way it works.
If you want something "safe"...you have that on a different drive or system.

A hidden partition is of no use when that physical drive dies.

So, you install this OS on the desired drive.
Then you create an actual backup on some other location. NOT that same drive.

Factory reset is not only for drive death, factory reset is for fresh clean install from hidden partition that takes 5 minutes only . and Notebooks come with it using one NVME drive ..

as I said I know how to use image recovery utilities already .. I just want it back as I bought it with built in factory reset.

Good luck getting a working system back up & running. When you do, I hope you'll see the wisdom in making full system backups. With a good backup, you can be back up and running in 30 min. or less once you have a good drive to restore onto. I've been using the free version of Macrium Reflect, but there are numerous other backup/restore programs available.

You don't need a recovery partition at all. Windows reset function can be used without that recovery partition. Recovery partition were used on older OS when you did not have the OS disc.

Now with Windows 10 you can do backup, rollback, a reset function and you can keep Windows 10 on a flash drive for fast use if you need it.

Recovery partitions are pointless.

USAFRet

Titan
Factory reset is not only for drive death, factory reset is for fresh clean install from hidden partition that takes 5 minutes only . and Notebooks come with it using one NVME drive ..

as I said I know how to use image recovery utilities already .. I just want it back as I bought it with built in factory reset.
And in the user manual for every single "notebook" it prompts you to invoke the function to create your own USB or DVD "Factory Reset".
This should happen on Day 1 of your ownership. But no one ever does.

Instead, they come here after the BadThing happens, and try to figure out how to recover.

gardenman

Splendid
Reactions: nofanneeded
Solution

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
And in the user manual for every single "notebook" it prompts you to invoke the function to create your own USB or DVD "Factory Reset".
This should happen on Day 1 of your ownership. But no one ever does.

Instead, they come here after the BadThing happens, and try to figure out how to recover.

I do have a backup made from day one , but you seem not experienced enough to know what I am asking . The backup from day one will restore the system only but not the factory reset system in case you replace the SSD. that is , it will not restore the hidden intact partition of win10 files and drivers , and will not rstore the booting utility partition. and you will need to use external USB for that in case the SSD is changed.

What you are saying is not called factory reset. Factory reset is built in without the need to carry ANY media or usb with you to do it. no iso , no usb , nothing just your notebook , you wont need internet as well.

and big no , the "create" back up is not remaking factory reset system , because it does not copy all the hidden partition , the hidden partitions cant be seen when you run windows , or when you run outside utility. the hidden partition are only visible when the booting partition utility runs , it has the code to "see" the hidden partitions .

now when the whole SSd is broken that booting partition that the bios UEFI boots from is gone , and the normal backup will not back it up to begin with , it is Hidden and needs special code to be seen. also the win10 files and drivers partition is gone as well .

I dont think you have the experience in this field at all.

bottom line : EVEN if you made backup from day one , this will NOT backup the factory reset system. it will just back up the system you installed. and when the SSD is broken you will have to live with normal image recovery.

Having said that , if you CLONE the SSD from day one using expensive non free image utilitiy that can see hidden partitions and allows its cloning then yes you can make a complete image of your SSD , but this means paying for the utility for its free version does not support cloning hidden format partitions.

Last edited:

gardenman

Splendid
My backup software does see hidden partitions in Windows and allows me to back them up. My PC does not have a "factory reset" partition, but it does have a hidden OEM partition with utilities on it. I believe it's hardware testing utilities from Dell. I don't exactly remember how to access this partition, probably a special key hit while BIOS is being loaded (before Windows boots up).

I'm using an older outdated version of Paragon Backup (14 Free). I'm not saying you should use this software, but I am saying that free backup software can see hidden partitions from within Windows (and in fact all should do it, if they don't, they are not worthy of being used).

Note below that in Disk Management, the partition is not labeled. In the backup program, it's green. There is no drive letter assigned to the partition.

PBqucu0.jpg

uvZnuF2.jpg

While I don't know for a fact that Disk Management can always see any and all hidden partitions, I believe it should be able to, along with any good backup software. I do believe if I had a factory reset partition that my backup software would back it up.

USAFRet

Titan
I do have a backup made from day one , but you seem not experienced enough to know what I am asking . The backup from day one will restore the system only but not the factory reset system in case you replace the SSD. that is , it will not restore the hidden intact partition of win10 files and drivers , and will not rstore the booting utility partition. and you will need to use external USB for that in case the SSD is changed.

What you are saying is not called factory reset. Factory reset is built in without the need to carry ANY media or usb with you to do it. no iso , no usb , nothing just your notebook , you wont need internet as well.

and big no , the "create" back up is not remaking factory reset system , because it does not copy all the hidden partition , the hidden partitions cant be seen when you run windows , or when you run outside utility. the hidden partition are only visible when the booting partition utility runs , it has the code to "see" the hidden partitions .

now when the whole SSd is broken that booting partition that the bios UEFI boots from is gone , and the normal backup will not back it up to begin with , it is Hidden and needs special code to be seen. also the win10 files and drivers partition is gone as well .

bottom line : EVEN if you made backup from day one , this will NOT backup the factory reset system. it will just back up the system you installed. and when the SSD is broken you will have to live with normal image recovery.

Having said that , if you CLONE the SSD from day one using expensive non free image utilitiy that can see hidden partitions and allows its cloning then yes you can make a complete image of your SSD , but this means paying for the utility for its free version does not support cloning hidden format partitions.
Regarding the "Factory Reset", it is exactly that. To return the laptop to exactly as it came from the store.
It rebuilds the entire system.
And it is especially useful in case of a dead drive.

There is some magical keystroke or included application that will run that, and create this on a USB or series of DVD's.
This has been a thing since manufacturers stopped giving us physical DVD's.

Per licensing rules from MS, they are required to give the purchaser some way of "reinstalling the OS.
Either a physical DVD, or in a partition on the drive.
Every prebuilt system is like this.

This is completely different than a Clone or Image you make with other 3rd party software.

And about that 3rd party software...an application such as Macrium Reflect will do a Clone or Image of the entire drive, "hidden partitons" and all. The Free version does this.
I use this literally every day. This is the basis for my entire backup routine.
My main system has the paid version...all other systems in the house have the Free version. Not expensive, not inexpensive...Free. As in $0.

You can choose to believe that or not. Up to you.
Or, you can prove it to yourself. $0.
https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Free. Not a trial, no $$...Free.

Ok, sure. You go with that thought.

Reactions: stonecarver