edo vs sdram

G

when i upgraded my MB i simply transferred the 128 mb of EDO ram I ahd in my former system... if i upgrade to pc100 ram will i notice a signifigant speed difference?

and am i correct from my readings here that cas 2 latency is preferred to cas 3?

thanks... never knew memory was so widely different...

Jonathan

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i'll start with the second question first: yes, cas2 is better than cas3.

now the first question: i didn't know that edo ram and sdram can be swaped with each other (i thought they use a different type of slot)?? assuming i'm wrong...sdram is much faster than edo ram. i would be willing to bet that there will be a seat of the pants noticible difference in speed, especially with any remotely memory intensive programs.

mpjesse

Splendid
Another thing- is your FSB 66mhz or 100mhz? I'm thinking it's 66Mhz because not many 100mhz FSB CPU's came with EDO DIMMs... If the FSB is 66mhz then you won't see much of an increase... In games you will- but not for common things.

-MP JEsse

G

my VIA mobo can be set for anything between 66 and 124 ... and it's been running with the edo memory(32mb 8x32 edo simm 60ns 72pin) since the MOBO was installed...

but i'm ready and able to go to pc100...just wanna be sure I'm gonna see a difference before i leap...

jonathan

btw... paid 210.00 for this edo in 1998, a good deal at the time... and now it's worth???

TRENDING THREADS