Question EERO Mesh Questions

stephent181

Honorable
Sep 11, 2017
Hey folks - girlfriend and I are staying with her parents while we save for a house...and they have the Eero Mesh Wi-Fi system. There are 2 total Eero hubs. The main hub is in the living room, the wireless one is the one I am using. We have 2 GB speed at the house, but I'm only getting 400-600 MB from an ethernet into the hub in here.

Am I able to connect an ethernet cord from the main hub to this wireless hub so I can gain access to the full speeds? Or would this not work.

My apologies if I explained that terribly.

Not sure you would get the 2gb all depends on if the devices and your pc have 2.5g ethernet ports.

You should be able to get 1gbit. Cabling the main router to the remote unit is always the best option if you can get the cable run. The remote unit will act as a simple switch.....I assume it has at least 2 ethernet ports.

I am somewhat surprised you get such a high speed using wifi between the remote and main router.

Reactions: stephent181
Maybe a better questions is why. Only large file downloads need lots of bandwidth. How much do you download per day. Other applications only use what they need. Netflix for example will only use 30mbps watch 4k having more will not make it run faster or better.

The kinda a exception is if you play online games. Games only need about 1mbps but they do not tolerate the random latency spikes wifi has. In these cases you want ethernet more for the stability than the added bandwidth.

Reactions: stephent181

stephent181

Honorable
Sep 11, 2017
We have 5 people using the internet in the house - before the speed was upgraded there were random lag spikes while I was playing NHL on Xbox. Obviously in the middle of a fast-paced hockey game that isn't great.

I haven't noticed any yet, but I guess I do not need to make any further adjustments if we have enough speed to prevent any issues on my end?

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/a...d-is-eero-capable-of-What-about-its-bandwidth

There are so many eero models, which one do you have? And don't quite understand your description.

So you connect two eero hubs using wifi, but your pc plugs into the ethernet port of the hub that's in your room?

if that's the case, 600Mbps can be considered good. 4K video requires 30Mbps only as mentioned above.

Wired ethernet of course is way better then wifi in stability, however.

Last edited: