Egyptian Government Orders ISPs to Switch Off

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
Mubarak had already decided to involve the army. At least 74 people have died since, says news sources.

This is exactly why we shouldn't support dictatorships. When you support one you basically screw the freedom of speech of millions and force them to go out rampaging on the streets when they're pushed to the corner, risking their lives.
Meanwhile their leaders oppress them and make you believe whatever they want to, because their people are too afraid to speak up.

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
You say this is due to a dictatorship but the exact same thing can happen under a democracy like Americas or any european.

They just pass some internet security law and the government can do anything

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
so the problem with the country now is due to the internet. the economy is down because nobody is working anymore. they all doing facebook, twitter and writing comments on tom's.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
With internet on, some people will use tweeter to do things that the government don't like.

With Internet switch off, anybody will get very angry.

I would start a revolution after 2 seconds without my modem light's.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
[citation][nom]doron[/nom]Mubarak had already decided to involve the army. At least 74 people have died since, says news sources.This is exactly why we shouldn't support dictatorships. When you support one you basically screw the freedom of speech of millions and force them to go out rampaging on the streets when they're pushed to the corner, risking their lives.Meanwhile their leaders oppress them and make you believe whatever they want to, because their people are too afraid to speak up.[/citation]
I suppose that you know that USA supports this dictator.
USA even have a school of dictators; the School for the Americas:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Hemisphere_Institute_for_Security_Cooperation

And USA government pursues the Human rigths activists:
http://www.soaw.org/component/content/article/6/3581-justice-denied-activists-imprisoned-soa-remains-open
http://www.soaw.org/

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
Graduates of the School of the Americas

"The U.S. Army School of the Americas is a school that has run more dictators than any other school in the history of the world."
— U.S. Congressman Joseph Kennedy

Source:
Who Benefits from Global Violence and War: Uncovering A Destructive System, by Marc Pilisuk, 2008, Greenwood Publishing Group, p. 147.

kkiddu

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Despicable.

They just, in a single step, justified the people's protests. Any government that prevents you from connecting some computers is a government that needs to be removed.

G

[citation][nom]keczapifrytki[/nom]Somebody's gonna get killed...[/citation]
Some already have; it's not funny.

lieberman already introduced a bill to have a "kill switch" for the internet.
As for us helping a dictatorship, some countries would so radicals wouldn't take over the country. It's basically a lesser of 2 evils.

Von Death

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
[citation][nom]asdfghjkl[/nom]Tomshardware, you DO know that there's actually a "help" key on Amiga keyboards?[/citation]
Funny, each time I press Tomhardware's Help key I
[Help]
get a weird space instead
[Help]
of bringing up the actual Help menu. Strange.
[Help]
The real story here is that Toms listened to the complaints in the previous comments and finally posted this story, even be it a little late.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Ciuy[/nom]World War III starting...[/citation]
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]That would suck big time, especially for anyone who games online or owns steam games/games that require always-on internet.[/citation]
[citation][nom]marraco[/nom]With internet on, some people will use tweeter to do things that the government don't like.With Internet switch off, anybody will get very angry.I would start a revolution after 2 seconds without my modem light's.[/citation]

Showing how pathetically dependant the world is on internet, one addict at a time. I don't care how much this gets downrated, it's true...

f-14

Distinguished
Now it appears as though the country is attempting to switch off the internet altogether.
Jane they didn't attempt, they DID shut it off. most of the servers for the mmorpg game i play were made up of 50% egyptians. the game itself went into emergency maint at about 1am pst on thursday morning right after a normal scheduled maint at midnight pst as far as i can tell it's late on the 29th and they are still all gone. the servers are mostly dead and the eggy's aren't even on in instant messengers still either.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]marraco[/nom]I suppose that you know that USA supports this dictator.USA even have a school of dictators; the School for the Americas:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weste [...] ooperationAnd USA government pursues the Human rigths activists:http://www.soaw.org/component/cont [...] mains-openhttp://www.soaw.org/[/citation]
i hear ya man, but when the british empire and usa have a choice between dictatorships/terrorist that are anti-west/american we will always push and support the ones who support america/ british empire when the people in those countries are not willing to stand up for their rights and demand democracy. so some one who can keep the peace and push things to benefit the west they always the president/prime minister will always pick the strongest even if he's not the best. for these countries they only have 3 choices, west or east (russia china)or muslim.
it's always about money and power and who controls it. britian and france still hold sway over the USA even, they have drug the USA into every one of their former colony independece break aways and did everything they could to keep america on their side. the war on communism terrorism is a great way for them to cover up these ties and the hundreds of years of history involved and cycle of mistakes made.
and that is why history is a required part of the american education, not enough people seem to care or be interested in that let alone a solution either so it's pretty much wasted effort.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007

Same excuse about supporting Chavez=>Chavez
Same excuse about supporting Fidel Castro=>Fidel Castro
Same excuse about supporting Sadam Hussein=>Sadam Hussein
Same excuse about supporting Videla=>Falklands war
Same excuse about supporting Osama Bin Laden=>Twin towers
Same excuse about ... bah, the list is tooooo long

Do you are sure about "the lesser of two evils"?

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
[citation][nom]chick0n[/nom]Man if this is China, I bet 99% of the people here will jump on and like omg fuxking Communist die already. Talked about double standard.[/citation]

Judging by your terrible English, I'm guessing you're Chinese. There's a reason people don't like communism, and a glaring example is, in fact, China. In a completely pure sense, communism should have been a great idea. Unfortunately, it NEVER pans out the way everyone hopes. Ever.

Regardless, I hope the Egyptian government works their shit out soon. This is pretty ridiculous.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]there is a difference between a third world country we don't and do exploit. there is also fact that china is becoming a first world country, and probably will be one within my lifetime, we care more...basically, egypt has bigger problems than no internet, and they are over all less hostile[/citation]

most illinformed, thing i ever heard any one say ... here is why bro

1. there are no such thing as "third world countries" it's an atinquated term used durring the industrial revolution to refer ti non industrilized nations .. well guess what every country these days have industry even the little ones.

2. most countries that us americans tend to mislabel as "third world" are infact more advanced than US in some areas , for instance internet and argentina (or jsut about any otehr country in middle ior south america) , a country that used to be in that definition has far better broad band capabilities for a larger percentage of it's area compared to the US so how can we call this country a third world country ?

ok i'll give you the benifit of the doubt maybe you finsihed all your schoolign well before the 90's , but since about 89 history books and social studies teachers have been dropping the usage of "third world" countries becasue again it doesn't apply any more at all in the modern world. but i coudl see how some one older might still be calling these countries by that antiquated label. However ,if youa re a younger person , all i can really say is pay beter atention to your social study calsses , this is rather basic info in those kind of classes.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]pocketdrummer[/nom]Judging by your terrible English, I'm guessing you're Chinese. There's a reason people don't like communism, and a glaring example is, in fact, China. In a completely pure sense, communism should have been a great idea. Unfortunately, it NEVER pans out the way everyone hopes. Ever.Regardless, I hope the Egyptian government works their shit out soon. This is pretty ridiculous.[/citation]

actually what the former USSR had and what china currently has as a goverment was/is not really true communism , communisum is the ideal that the former USSR goverment used to sell it's self to the poeple after lenin and crew wiped out the old russian Szar line. in truth both the USSR and chiner were/are dictator ships with social economic system. this si not hat communism was meant to be , commusium was inf act suppose to be an ideal society where every oen works for the better good of every one else , no one has to buy any thing and every thing produced is owned by every one , IE a great example of what comunisum was supposed to be , is the idealogical future presented in Star Trek ( funny thing is , gene roddenberry had no idea how much his "future" was communistic when he came up with the idea).

problem with this idealolgy is that it doesn't factor in human nature namely greed and desire.

also it should be noted US is not a true democracy either , your local politics for your imediate area such as mayor and what not, may work under standard democracy but on the larger scale the US is a Republic and has always been a republic except those very short and brief bad years that we were organised as a confederacy imediately after winning the revolutionary war.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
2. most countries that us americans tend to mislabel as "third world" are infact more advanced than US in some areas , for instance internet and argentina (or jsut about any otehr country in middle ior south america) , a country that used to be in that definition has far better broad band capabilities for a larger percentage of it's area compared to the US so how can we call this country a third world country ?

Lol...lol...lol. For one, Argentina is not considered third world, maybe second, but not third. None of the middle or south American countries have better broadband reach than the USA (as a percentage or as a total). The USA is not the best, but that makes since. We have a big friggin country (3rd or 4th biggest depending on how you measure). Argentina has about 11% broadband coverage; the USA has 27.1. Also....you know that there is more to a country's advancement than internet, right? Like, how about stable currency/economy? Or maybe infrastructure like roads, trains, planes? It's cool to have internet...too bad many of the South and Middle American countries don't have the infrastructure to get things from point A to point B quickly and efficiently.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
Why are many so surprised that we supported Mubarak? Until recently, it was either him or the Muslim Brotherhood. We support democracy there but to date the Egyptians have not seriously pursued freedom or democracy (meaning, most of the population in agreement on similar goals). Hopefully, this will end well and not turn into some pseduo-republic like Iran.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]marraco[/nom]Same excuse about supporting Chavez=>ChavezSame excuse about supporting Fidel Castro=>Fidel CastroSame excuse about supporting Sadam Hussein=>Sadam HusseinSame excuse about supporting Videla=>Falklands warSame excuse about supporting Osama Bin Laden=>Twin towersSame excuse about ... bah, the list is tooooo longDo you are sure about "the lesser of two evils"?[/citation]
Can you imagine what the other evil would do if the lesser evil were those guys?

garborg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2008
There is a curfew, stay inside.
Here we will help by turning off the internet!
Now get off the computer and DON'T go outside.

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.