Eight 5.1- And 7.1-Channel Gaming Headsets, Reviewed

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tethadam

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
The Logitech G-35's also have a serious design flaw that if you look at their amazon, and newegg reviews you will notice that the swivel pin that allows the ear-cups to swivel inward and outward has a tendency to shear or snap since it is made of a low quality plastic. This happened to me after just 1 month of ownership.

I noticed that you did not include Turtle Beach's Z6A headset. Did they choose not to participate as well?

TomsSound

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2003
Would have been great if Astro, Tritton, and Turtle Beach were included in these tests. (I would be willing to bet they are used more often by hardcore gamers than most of the other brands in this test).

isktrasow

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]I like the idea, but it'll probably take a while to make it happen.Next up on the audio to-do list is a full-sized 5.1/7.1 surround system comparo.[/citation]

To be totally honest not a single one of these would stand up to a good headset + sound card in tests for music quality and listening experience, but that’s exactly the point. Anyone trying to compare a pair of HD 598’s and an Asus Xonar Essence STX to a “gaming” headset is just silly, look at the difference in price tags. That being said the PC350’s and most of the steel series gaming headsets do remarkably well in the sound department.

And to anwser your question atleast to my ears that exact setup is night and day compared to a usb soundcard and "gaming" headset.

okcomputer360

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
Upon reviewing the new swotor headset on newegg.com, the comments suggested an alternative, called the squack box, also on newegg 30 bucks, has a pre-amp, nice construction and free shipping, I am very impressed w/ in line volume control and side mike, on an adjustable metal bending unit.
Best Bang for the buck imo.

madsweeney

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
[citation][nom]Cleeve[/nom]I disagree.As mentioned in the article, six blindfolded testers were consistently able to point out the source of virtually-placed audio behind them, beside and in front. Every single tester.That's hard evidence that cannot be ignored.[/citation]

Sure they do positional queues in a controlled test well, but what happens when your playing a FPS and explosions are going on and the bloated bass drowns out the footsteps/gunfire from behind you? surround headsets are good at directional queues but lack sound quality and detail.

For console players, they're a decent choice (Although there are better choices out there like senheiseiser pc 360) but on PC, you're much better off with audiophile headphones (hell $15 Koss KSC 75's are amazing for detail/directional sounds).

madsweeney

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
[citation][nom]mrkdilkington[/nom]You're a fool if you think 'virtual sound' in PowerDVD is even remotely the same technology implemented in these headphones.[/citation]

Um, its pretty much exactly the same tech, actually, in some cases better. multiple crappy drivers + sound degrading components + software decoder < two high quality drivers + software decoder.

G

Which of these would be the best to use for movies through a real 7.1 tuner? I am looking for a solution that will allow you to plug into the tuner (via optical I suppose) to get 7.1 in the headphones.

gonor3a

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Owned some G35's for about 2 years...
Pro:
good for 7.1 games like BF3 ambient noise
well constructed except the vinyl over the ear pieces see con., feels like a quality product
comfortable.
Con:
Find when I remove the phones, I am always pressing the buttons which initialise iTunes. Bloody annoying.
The ear muff vinyl has completely flaked and worn off on both headphone pieces which is shit. if they'd used leather it would have lasted longer / worn better.

animeman59

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Great Review Don! Nice to see Tom's Hardware tackling accessory reviews.
One request, if I may? Could you review the Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS2? I have a stereo Turtle Beach PX21 for my PC, Xbox, and PS3, and I love this headset. The DSS2 is supposed to be an audio processor that makes any 2.1 headset into a surround sound headset.
It would be nice to know how this attachment stacks up against virtual surround headsets.

A review of this unit would be nice. Thanks Tom's!

nd_hunter

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2009
Thanks for this review! I was looking for some good headphones for awhile now and bought the Vengeance 1500s based on your recommendation. I do agree that they are a bit tight and this does cause for some discomfort after prolonged wear....after two rounds of BF3 (just purchased for PC to test these headphones out. WOW!), I unplug them for a round to give my head a rest. However, the sound they produce is well worth it. I dare say the positional audio from the 1500s gives me a more immersive experience with rounds snapping and explosions booming all around me than on my 360 hooked up to my Yamaha receiver. In fact, the experience is so much better, I sold my copy of BF3 on 360. My roommates are happier too. :)

madsweeney

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
[citation][nom]digitalshow[/nom]Which of these would be the best to use for movies through a real 7.1 tuner? I am looking for a solution that will allow you to plug into the tuner (via optical I suppose) to get 7.1 in the headphones.[/citation]

Short answer, probably none. These phones do not support digital input from a 7.1 receiver or device, rather, they rely on analog input or their own DSP to process the sound. If you already have a 7.1 receiver, your best bet would to be to use a good set of stereo headphones (Ultrasone, Denon make great cans for movies and music). Some manufactures have their own breed of surround sound emulation built in for headphones like Yamaha's silent cinema and some Denon receivers.

madsweeney

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
[citation][nom]animeman59[/nom]Great Review Don! Nice to see Tom's Hardware tackling accessory reviews.One request, if I may? Could you review the Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS2? I have a stereo Turtle Beach PX21 for my PC, Xbox, and PS3, and I love this headset. The DSS2 is supposed to be an audio processor that makes any 2.1 headset into a surround sound headset.It would be nice to know how this attachment stacks up against virtual surround headsets.A review of this unit would be nice. Thanks Tom's![/citation]

Astro mixamp is the way to go for 7.1 DSP if you can't plug into a dolby headphone compatible sound card.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I would be interested in seeing the Sennheiser HD360 and the Beyerdynamic Headzone solution (although it is expensive as heck)

G

I was a little saddened to see that you didn't mention the "upgrade" option for the G35's (G350 wireless) - it has made mine the best accessory I own, by far. I gave away my G35's to a friend, and he loves them, and I get to wander around the house during raids. Wipe, get a sandwich ;)

And PaperBoy - I realize it is Troll-baiting at this point - But I have a pair of Senny 600's running through my Xonar STX with new DAC's (I usually just out to an AudioTechnica and drive my MartinLogan's when I am listening to music, but this is a headphone discussion, although you seem to be confused about that...) And guess what? 99% of the time when I am gaming, I prefer (PREFER!) the G350's. They require no tuning, no fiddling with a separate amp eq profile, and to beat all, unlike the Sennys, they have a decent mic. And considering the 600's + Xonar is well over $750, and I paid 150$ for the Logitechs... Please crawl back into your (poorly soundproofed) cave.

mojo0716

Honorable
Feb 15, 2012
I bought the Creative model, because of this review. I'm disappointed. The sound is good, but the microphone does not work. This seems to be a common problem with this model. Some say it's because of Windows 7, others say the microphone just breaks often.

animeman59

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
[citation][nom]madsweeney[/nom]Astro mixamp is the way to go for 7.1 DSP if you can't plug into a dolby headphone compatible sound card.[/citation]

Thanks for the referral. I'll check these out to see if they suit me. Btw, what is dolby headphone compatible? Does that mean that my sound card (onboard Realtek), may be able to convert my 2.1 to virtual surround? Thanks!

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
Razor Megalodon has a TERRIBLE mic. If you're a serious gamer, and do competitive team play using ventrilo, TS, or anything of the sort, do not buy the Razer headset.

I have a lot of razer products, some are very good, but the headset blows. It has, by far, the worst mic out of all the headsets in this review (I've owned more then half of them myself).

So if you don't use a mic, then sure, go ahead and get the megalodon if you like razer products. But if you ever plan on speaking into your headset.... save yourself the RMA / store return and get anything else.

KT_WASP

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
[citation][nom]mojo0716[/nom]I bought the Creative model, because of this review. I'm disappointed. The sound is good, but the microphone does not work. This seems to be a common problem with this model. Some say it's because of Windows 7, others say the microphone just breaks often.[/citation]

Are you using the included usb sound card? I remember when I first got them I thought that my mic did not work as well. But, trying to remember now, I think that the system did not recognize the mic until I went into windows sound control (not creatives control panel) and turned the mic on.. it was something like that. Also, since it is a removable mic, try taking it out and putting it back it, might be that it wasn't all the way in, making contact. if you are using the usb card, try plugging directly into the system mic-in port and see if it works, if so, then it is probably a windows sound setting screwing with the usb card. (I'm using windows 7 with zero problems).

adriankeith

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Stay away from the Corsair vengeance. Worst headset I've ever had the chance to encounter. The microphonics are the worst in any headset I've ever owned. I've paid nearly 1/4 the price for headsets with much better design. I've got a turtle beach headset with a nice long boom mic that works great with none of the aforementioned microphonics problems. I followed a thread on Corsair's forums which basically said it's a sensitivity issue. WRONG. Some folks need to sit down with more than one headset and see how the problem manifests itself.

Corsair makes great products but it seems like lately they're really just trying to push out product. Spend a little more time and effort in R&D and work this thing out. It's a major deal breaker for those of us who use voice activation. This problem is non-existent on my TB headset (Model Z6A)

crateria

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2011
@tom's hardware

What did you happen to have for the EQ settings for the logitech G35? Just curious as I have one and have the mids turned up a little but not sure how much for optimal listening as you guys say? Any response would be appreciated, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.