Eight 5.1- And 7.1-Channel Gaming Headsets, Reviewed

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mojo0716

Honorable
Feb 15, 2012
[citation][nom]KT_WASP[/nom]Are you using the included usb sound card? I remember when I first got them I thought that my mic did not work as well. But, trying to remember now, I think that the system did not recognize the mic until I went into windows sound control (not creatives control panel) and turned the mic on.. it was something like that. Also, since it is a removable mic, try taking it out and putting it back it, might be that it wasn't all the way in, making contact. if you are using the usb card, try plugging directly into the system mic-in port and see if it works, if so, then it is probably a windows sound setting screwing with the usb card. (I'm using windows 7 with zero problems).[/citation]

I tried all you said and more on three computers. Tried it with the usb card and analog and could not get it to work. If you look at reviews on Amazon.com, NewEgg, etc. you will see many reviews complaining that the mic never worked or fails fast. Some people say it's a Windows 7 thing and it works on xp, etc. All I know is it didn't work for me and I only have computer running Windows 7.

EJ257

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2009
Just adding my $0.02. When the padding on the cups of my G35 started cracking and shedding foam I called up Logitech hoping to order a replacement kit for the pads. Since I was still covered under the warranty they shipped me a brand new headset and just told me to send back the old ones. I would have settled for a free set of replacement pads for the cups but you can't beat a completely new headset. Pretty good customer service there.

mojo0716

Honorable
Feb 15, 2012
After trying the Creative Tactic 3D Sigma and being disappointed, because of the bad microphone I bought the Arctic Sound P531. It has true 5.1 surround sound and sounds great to me. Looks pretty nice too.

It's a little heavy though, but not too bad. The remote blinking light is kind of annoying, but no big deal. It's a good deal for $50 on Amazon.com

MasterCATZ

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
argh my comment removed again !!

I would like to know how these $400 Logitech Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10 Noise-Isolating Earphones
would compare

G

The Creative Tactic 3D Sigma has some real good sound, best I've heard from a headphone and you can get it on Amazon for $59.00

airborne11b

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2008
If you want a good gaming headset, stay away from the Razer Megalodon. I bought one a few months back and the mic quality was terrible compared to G35 , G930 and corsair mic. So if you don't care about how you sound in TS or vent, but want a good sounding headset, Razer would be fine.

But if you use VOIP stuff like skype or TeamSpeak, stay away from the razer headset. Worst mic I've ever heard.

darkgauntlett

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]iamtheking123[/nom]I'll stick to my $100 stereo headphones instead of $20 headphones + $80 spent on fake surround sound and marketing. We've all tried virtual surround sound in PowerDVD or WinDVD and it sucks. Makes everything sound underwater and no where close to having 5 actual speakers set up throughout a room.[/citation]

Dude i've got a home theater system hooked up to my pc and use a logitech G930 when the house needs to be quiet. Virtual surround sound works and works well.

Alex_23

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2012
What is the best gaming + multimedia headphone to pair it with a x-fi xtremegamer fatal1ty, usb is a con for all x-fi users cause it bypass the sound card. What about Corsair Vengeance 1300 3.5mm?

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
So, where are the surround sound settings for the creative tactic sigma? The review saying how good virtual surround is is the only reason I went for one with it, but it so far seems identical to any regular set as far as that goes.

remk0h

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
I have G35's since november 2009, really happy about them. I can wear them for hours and hours, no problem. But since I've extensively used them for over 2 years, the earcup covering material on the inside (dont know how its called) cracked open and started to break off into pieces. Having black pieces of fabric on my faces after wearing isn't exactly ideal.

Any suggestions on what I should do? I suppose this is not fixable (one side broken quite a bit, other side is starting), what will be an upgrade from my G35?
What I need in a headset/headphones: 7.1 surround for gaming (same quality or higher as G35). Voice communication that is crisp like G35.

I hear some people talk about using non-gaming headsets with expensive soundcards + an external mic. Is that a real option for gamers or should I get a specific headset. Money no issue for now.
Thanks!!

remk0h

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Edit: (don't see any real edit option)
I've just ordered a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro soundcard instead of my 2000 year old soundcard. Although I only have 2.1 logitech speakers on my room. So what's the best thing to do from here on out? Will I get better results for gaming from using this soundcard with 3,5 mm headsets designed for non-gaming? Or will a USB headset for gaming still give better results?

Hope you guys can help me out asap ^^
Remk0h

remk0h

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
[citation][nom]alex_23[/nom]What is the best gaming + multimedia headphone to pair it with a x-fi xtremegamer fatal1ty, usb is a con for all x-fi users cause it bypass the sound card. What about Corsair Vengeance 1300 3.5mm?[/citation]
I've got the same question, these headphones are reasonable priced too. It having a mic seems like a + to me. As a clip-on means more messy wires and things to buy. Do you think Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro soundcard + that Corsair Vengeance 1300 3.5mm deliver better sound than my G35?

G

the human brain has 2 sound inputs (left ear - right ear).

What these marketers rely on is the fact that hardly anyone understands how the brain interprets incoming auditory stimuli to locate the sound's source in 3D space.

Left/right positioning is determined by:
* sound pressure level
* the timing of the same sound at both ears (the brain can detect the delay in the arrival of the sound as it moves from 1 ear to the other)

BUT:
What can NEVER be accomplished is true 3D sound. This is because the only way that the brain can accurately locate an object in 3D space (by sound) is to factor in BOTH:
* the INCOMING auditory stimuli (sound)
* and Positional information for the human head (especially small changes in the position of the head and how the sound pressure level and changes in sound arrival time at the two ears

Since headphones remain firmly affixed to the head (i.e. stationary) - they can never provide the correct type of auditory stimuli to get 3D sound... very rough 2D sound yes (but 3D sound is just marketing nonsense)...

marketing nonsense cannot trump the physics and neurobiology of the human auditory system

chechak

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
The G35 is Logitech's top-end headset effort,giss what i have one "thank 's god " ,and it's great ,playing skyrim is so awesome with that sound effects :D

tried the corsair vengenace 1500s and the sound is amazing but unfortunatley they were horribly uncomfortable and my head is average size. The top headband part was especially tight. Instead I picked up a pair of the ultra comfy Razer Characias. They are the same cans as the megalodons (40mm) drivers without the 7.1 nonsense. The characias get my budget pick bc when it comes down to it, comfort is very important for something like this and the sound quality is also very nice for the money. Fairly flat too, which is a plus for me.

Im cool with just the cans and some dolby software that came with my motherboard.

another thought, the usb lag created by the vengeance 1500 was kind of crappy. Since the audio is being processed by the usb mechanism, I found that from time to time it would lag which is almost a deal breaker for me over a standard 1/8" plug

G

Thank you Don, and the rest of Tom's HW for constantly pumping out quality articles =)

lubberlick

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
I just purchased the CM Storm Sirus after my TB Earforce Z6A broke (the headband) in only 3 months of use.

Turtle Beach Z6A is horrible construction. Please don't buy them.

I was curious if these tests were done with the "puck" or a proper 5.1 audio card. I tried both configurations with the "puck" and my Xonar DX. I must say plugging these things into the Xonar was a dramatic improvement. If the "puck" was 4/10 then the Xonar would be 9/10. Of course this is my opinion.

G

Hey all. I need an advice. My headphones just broke and im looking for replacement. What i dont know is what option is the best for 3d positional audio in games. Should i just buy good stereo headphones and connect them to my soundblaster x-fi, which i already own or buy some virtual or true 3d set? Do dedicated heaphones produce better 3d sound then my x-fi? The article is nice but doesnt really resolve my doubts. Cheers

G

The Creative Sigma features a removable microphone, I don't think that was mentioned in the review. The manual on the creative site shows how it has a 3.5mm jack, the mic just comes out the socket like a headphone plug comes out a jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.