Eight-core Sandy Bridge Chip Listed on eBay

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
[citation][nom]HolyCrusader[/nom]I personally don't see the benefit currently with going to 6 or even 8 cores on a chip. Sure, multi-threaded applications are starting to become more common, but the vast majority of what's out there only optimized for dual-cores at best.They may be better for more intensive multitasking, but I can multitask pretty good as it is with my older Quad Core - oftentimes my HD is the weakest link and not the CPU itself.[/citation]
Then I take it you're not running a 64bit OS and this chip is not being marketed towards you.

demonnn

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]1.6GHz with no turbo?I'll pass...Many apps still only use 1 core. Those apps would be slow cause 1.6Ghz is lame.[/citation]
you are lame LOL it's an ENGINEERING SAMPLE (NOT FINISHED)

billj214

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Just might be more than meets the eye, it could actually be 1.6ghz and utilizing the 22nm TRI gate transistors!

With the large cache, low clock and socket type it's more than likely a server chip!

therandomuser

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Intel called, and they want to talk to the undercover Agent who May or may not Derive the arch of that for copying and making new Blocks for a Different processor.

Cookies for everyone who gets the coded joke message!

dread_cthulhu

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Any proof that this is not just a scam? 8core/16 thread chip, while they probably are in the making, I just can't imagine the stupidity it'd require for someone to actually attempt to sell it on e-bay... It's A LOT easier for me to believe someone made a false posting to scam someone outta some cash.

Besides...... Isn't there some sort of computer black market? LOL

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dread_cthulhu[/nom]Any proof that this is not just a scam? 8core/16 thread chip, while they probably are in the making, I just can't imagine the stupidity it'd require for someone to actually attempt to sell it on e-bay... It's A LOT easier for me to believe someone made a false posting to scam someone outta some cash. Besides...... Isn't there some sort of computer black market? LOL[/citation]

8 core 16 thread is set to launch soon, consumer side, i believe server had this for a long time. and remember, intel has a chip that is quad threaded and 12 cores. they used it a while ago to show off real time ray tracing without gpu.

and there is a black market for everything. the computer black market will be comprised mostly of stolen (already launched) products, with some amount of military hardware (nothing major, just things we dont see) and on the top, industrial espionage items, however, those items almost always have a buyer before they are sold or even gotten.

KevinTMC

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
This time-traveling peddler would get much better bang for his buck if he chose a more mature processor and took it farther back in time.

(Including a compatible motherboard would also help.)

[citation][nom]therandomuser[/nom]Intel called, and they want to talk to the undercover Agent who May or may not Derive the arch of that for copying and making new Blocks for a Different processor.Cookies for everyone who gets the coded joke message![/citation]

AMD...

Where are my cookies?

edilee

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
There are alot of scam listing on Ebay specifically in the Intel CPU section.

There was a listing almost a year ago for an "Intel i9" which to date has never existed it was actually just the upper end i7 of the time that they boasted was very overclockable. They had it listed for double what it was selling for at the time from any reputable retailer.

There was also a listing for the i7-975 boasting it was clocked at like 4.8ghz...this was a CPU only listing mind you so when you got the CPU it would be at factory clock speeds and NOT 4.8ghz. Not sure about anyone else but I am not going to trust some random person about what the chip is capable of especially when they were selling a $1,000 CPU (at the time) for $1,500.

[citation][nom]HolyCrusader[/nom]I personally don't see the benefit currently with going to 6 or even 8 cores on a chip. Sure, multi-threaded applications are starting to become more common, but the vast majority of what's out there only optimized for dual-cores at best.They may be better for more intensive multitasking, but I can multitask pretty good as it is with my older Quad Core - oftentimes my HD is the weakest link and not the CPU itself.[/citation]I regularly notice weaknesses between my Q9400 at work compared to my i7-930 (w/ 3 disk RAID 0) at home. That requires intensive multitasking as well engineering work though. For most of my work, hyper-threading takes care of the multitasking hit. For heavy number crunching (like weather simulations for example), the more cores the better.

rpenri

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
[citation][nom]fir_ser[/nom]I wonder how this 8-core Sandy Bridge engineering sample had been leaked (maybe stolen).[/citation]

Well, obviously the only thing you use your computer for is mostly gaming or watching videos.

Other people, on the other hand, require lots of cores for heavy data crunching...I wouldn't mind 4 more cores in my PC. I do commercial 3D CGI and even with 4 cores, some of my scenes still take upwards of 20+ hours to render.

rpenri

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
[citation][nom]HolyCrusader[/nom]I personally don't see the benefit currently with going to 6 or even 8 cores on a chip. Sure, multi-threaded applications are starting to become more common, but the vast majority of what's out there only optimized for dual-cores at best.They may be better for more intensive multitasking, but I can multitask pretty good as it is with my older Quad Core - oftentimes my HD is the weakest link and not the CPU itself.[/citation]

Sorry--meant to quote this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.