Eight Low-Profile CPU Coolers For Your Compact PC, Reviewed

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArdentlyCore

Reputable
May 12, 2014
I'm installing the backplate of the Zalman cnps 8900 extreme, but there seems to be another backplate that's already on the motherboard that's interfering with the placement of the new one. Am I missing something? Should I remove this previously installed backplate? I didn't use the double sided sticky tape and loading block because the directions said socket 1155 didn't need it, though it said nothing about socket 1150 I'm using with the i7 4770k, Haswell core. Help!?!?!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You don't need it, the mounting system is identical. The tape helps keep it in place if you decide to replace the CPU later.

Plates that don't have a big hole to fit around the Intel plate fit over it instead. They have small holes that need to align with the screws in the Intel plate.

ArdentlyCore

Reputable
May 12, 2014
I just needed to bend the NEW backplate a little bit to fit it over the previous one. No tape needed. Thanks for the help.

Cableaddict

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
It would have been nice to see the SilverStone NT06-Pro tested with two fans, and the Thermalright AXP200 tested with their thick TY-150 instead of that skinny stock one. Resutls would have been very different, I think. The Silverstone would surely have bested the excellent Noctua, and been a a few mm shorter to boot..

Cableaddict

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2014
It should be noted that anything shorter than 113mm should fit in a 3U rack case. For AV professionals, building mobile mATX rigs, this is the critical number.

Heck, we could even take a Thermalright AXP200 and mount TWO Noct 140mm fans on top, then cut a hole in the top of the case for a grill & dust shield. - Massive cooling, nothing but fresh air into the fans, and the road case still protects against rain.

Status
Not open for further replies.