EK Water Blocks Made A Passive M.2 NVMe SSD Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
I guess a huge % are actually HAPPY there is no bling bling but rather working components ;) Led lights, that gives such flashbacks to the 90's where EVERYTHING have to had leds useful or not. Heck they even made shoes with leds!

Today either slap on some leds on it or label it gaming and instantly sell it for 30-40% higher price and some still buy it believing its soo much better - Amazing :)

@rantoc

About 40 years ago, I worked for a major bank. We had a remote datacenter that went down every Friday night. So someone went to see why. About 6:00 PM on Friday, the cleaning crew arrived. Brought in a vacuum cleaner. Saw no spare outlets, and unplugged something that did not appear to be doing anything to plug in the vacuum. Of course, they unplugged the computer.

The solution was to add flashing lights to the top of the machine, so that it looked like it was doing something.

norseman4

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
They need to have a red powder coat version, since things that are red are faster. Though the black would make the drive capacity seem larger.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

I was going to guess aluminum, because that should be enough.

But, from their website:
Technical details:

Materials used:

• ■ Aluminium front cover
    ■ Aluminium backplate
    ■ Stainless steel clips

Enclosed:

• ■ EK-M.2 NVMe Heatsink front cover - nickel
    ■ EK-M.2 NVMe Heatsink backplate - black
    ■ Mounting clips
    ■ Thermal pad 0.5mm
    ■ Thermal pad 1mm
    ■ Thermal pads

Made in Slovenia - Europe!

C 64

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009

Also I don't see any VR certification!
Is this supposed to be a thing in 2017?
And where is a tempered glass window - how are people supposed to know I cashed out for PRO not EVO drive?

Vatharian

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
There was literally ONE SINGLE SSD MODEL that throttled from overheating (and it has been taken into account by manufacturer, and it spawned all this 'let's cool M.2' fad.

Pathetic.

What's next - watercooling your PSU cables, because they heat up when over rated current?

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
"There was literally ONE SINGLE SSD MODEL that throttled from overheating (and it has been taken into account by manufacturer, and it spawned all this 'let's cool M.2' fad."

One well known manufacturer. And it was addressed by reducing performance once it hot a thermal threshold. The fact that it hot that at all is reason enough to slap a heatsink on it. To allow it to run at full power without running the risk of overheating and shortening the already short life of said sad.nevermind the other brands that have theirs hit thermal limits as well.

That kind of thinking is akin to not having a fire extinguisher nearby when your cooking.

Maverick120

Distinguished
May 22, 2006
be warned if you own a samsung960evo its too tight a fit with the thicker pad on the memory chips, use the thin one on memory and on the back and the thick one on the Polaris controller chips. I squeezed mine so hard to get the clips on I had to RMA the evo, it blew it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS