EK-XLC Predator 240 Expandable Liquid CPU Cooler Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
you really need to have 2/3 air coolers on any list as well.

1 - stock
2 - highest recommended air cooler
3 - best air cooler

for me it would take a water cooler that was so significantly better than a noctua nh-d15 to get me off my plans for air, just because if a pump fails, I can't replace that fast, but if a fan fails, I have a spare.

Still waiting on "pro" reviews for the CryOrig series of water coolers. (A40, A40 Extreme, and A80)

Sad to see a leader in custom parts 1) not beat Swiftech by more, and 2) lose to a closed loop AiO. Part quality better be a big part of its cost, or you're paying only for their name.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
So the holes are in the board but not the foam pad? We've seen that too. As long as the cooler fits without damaging the board or modifying the cooler, we're not worried about its compatibility.

Olle_P

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
Are the temperatures given in farenheit or celsius?
My guess would be farenheit, since you don't want the CPU to run at 60C above room temperature. Adding 2-3 times as much heat from a graphics card to the cooler's burden would make the CPU run too hot.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Celsius. Recent Intel CPUs can run for many months at 95 °C fully loaded without showing damage, and the Haswell-E has proven even better at handling heat than most of those (surviving at 105 °C for long duration).

When we set up the initial test the target was 95 °C, but most of the coolers and cases tested can't maintain it. Because the test only last a few hours, I increased the thermal threshold to 115 °C. We break things so you don't have to :D

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
It probably won't happen as cooling is limited by its surface area. The Noctua probably has more surface area than most AIO watercoolers.
Personally, I'd take the less performing, more expensive, and theoretically less reliable watercooler because it is easier to install, less risk to break the motherboard/CPU, and avoid the need for another exhaust fan or set.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
This article wasn't about big liquid vrs big air, there's enough of those already. It's an article comparing abilities of sectional AiOs vrs a standard AiO. This article is for those who have already looked/compared big liquid vrs big air and have already decided on an AiO, but might feel like a sectional is something to consider with possible gpu additions.

gondo

Distinguished
If you want a regular waterblock that is expandable without the pump attached there are 2 choices. EKWB Predator, and the Swiftech. Swiftech puts the pump on the surface of the rad so you loose the choice of which side to put fans on. EKWB puts it on the bottom of the rad so 240mm actually takes 270mm or so of space.

For quality, EKWB is the best and expandable so it can do a video card and CPU on the cheap compared to a custom open loop. It's an intro kit into the world of open loop. I think it succeeds. If the user wants to get a separate pump and reservoir in the future then that is possible as all components are standard such as the water block and fittings. Swiftech doesn't have standard compression barbs unless you buy the upgraded premium kit.

I agree it's hard to sell an expensive AIO such as this for just a CPU, and also hard not to spend a few more bucks and just get an open loop kit. But there are some people who will want the cheapest kit for now with the option to upgrade in the future, and this is it.

evan8683

Commendable
Jun 21, 2016
The problem with EK products is the taxes. You pay close to a QUARTER of the cost of whatever you're buying just in taxes. You want to buy $400 worth of products? Expect to pay close to $100 on top of that in taxes!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
We went with US pricing, so that's after any foreign taxes.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I like the idea of options. It's why I built a pc, not bought a console. The option to change things if I'm not happy with the current setup is a serious bonus in my mind to the modular CLC. Add a gpu... sure. Chanel tubing, great, even add colors and lighting. It honestly seems like the best of both worlds. Buying a custom loop all in one box, pre-thunk, no research required, just minor assembly. Yes, I'm lazy too, so this would be perfect if I was planning on going in that direction.

The one option that doesn't seem available is software. I'm really attached to the nzxt CAB software, do doing everything with separate controls irks my lazy side.

Status
Not open for further replies.