[SOLVED] EKWB D5 ok to run at 100% always (PWM unplugged) if noise is not bothersome?

ap3

Prominent
Jun 14, 2020
Hello!

I have a GPU only watercool loop that I installed this weekend (EK CPU AIO) that is comprised of the EK 3080 special block, corsair 360mm, and 360mm FLT d5/res combo. I did not have the PWM in for leak testing/filling which I have read means it is set to 100%. I have now been using the PC for a couple hours and the PWM headers are fairly inaccessible. Is it going to be problematic for the life of the pump to run it at 100% without a curve? I do not have a coolent thermometer so I would have to base it on GPU or CPU temp if I end up setting up a curve for it.

The noise that it produces at 100% is not bothersome at all to me. Will I be reducing the lifespan appreciably by using it as is? Or do you guys recommend just digging my way to the PWM header and setting a curve?

Thank you!

Solution
The question you'll need to always ask yourself is "what do I do when the pump fails?". Yes you can run the pump at full tilt but you will need to keep a watchful eye on it and your temps in case it wears out prematurely. I always left my pump on the lowest most setting since I didn't like the noise and the higher flow wasn't giving my better temps, with regards to the tradeoff in noise and the way my loop was setup.

Get a pair of tweezers+flashlight and see if you plug the PWM header for the pump to your motherboard, beats having to disassemble the loop when the pump dies for being stressed.

Lutfij

Titan
The question you'll need to always ask yourself is "what do I do when the pump fails?". Yes you can run the pump at full tilt but you will need to keep a watchful eye on it and your temps in case it wears out prematurely. I always left my pump on the lowest most setting since I didn't like the noise and the higher flow wasn't giving my better temps, with regards to the tradeoff in noise and the way my loop was setup.

Get a pair of tweezers+flashlight and see if you plug the PWM header for the pump to your motherboard, beats having to disassemble the loop when the pump dies for being stressed.

Reactions: ap3
Solution

ap3

Prominent
Jun 14, 2020

Ok! My motherboard has CPU_FAN, CPU OPT, and multiple standard fan headers. I have a CPU AIO cooler that is already occupying CPU FAN and CPU OPT. Should I get a splitter to utilize one of those PWM headers for my D5 Pump? Or do I need to use the regular fan headers? The CPU FAN and CPU OPT headers are easily accessible, the regular fan headers would need some disassembly to get to but are not impossible. Thanks!

ap3

Prominent
Jun 14, 2020
Ok! My motherboard has CPU_FAN, CPU OPT, and multiple standard fan headers. I have a CPU AIO cooler that is already occupying CPU FAN and CPU OPT. Should I get a splitter to utilize one of those PWM headers for my D5 Pump? Or do I need to use the regular fan headers? The CPU FAN and CPU OPT headers are easily accessible, the regular fan headers would need some disassembly to get to but are not impossible. Thanks!
To clarify: currently the AIO pump is plugged into CPU OPT, the AIO fans are plugged into CPU FAN. My plan would be to use a splitter to put both portions of the AIO on CPU FAN, then plug the D5 directly into CPU OPT. From my understanding this would let the CPU AIO be controlled by CPU temps, but then allow me to make a custom curve for the D5?