EKWB Intros Short-Type Water Blocks For GeForce GTX 970

Status
Not open for further replies.

firefoxx04

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Of course someone had to put the water block down because "970s do not get hot", must be a waste of money right?

People who do not watercool should stay out of the debate when it comes to what should and should not be produced. Chipsets and RAM do not need to be put under water but we do it anyways, frequently.

ozchoz

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
I agree people who don't watercool shouldn't comment about watercooling. Still my 970's hit 75 degrees overclocked, not seeing the need for adding them to the loop.

Duckhunt

Honorable
Sep 22, 2012
I keep planning to use mineral oil but I still have not. Maybe in the future. I use just off the shelf stuff and then i end up handing it over. It is just the power consumption of the newer things is starting to make sense especially with xeon CPUs and other lower powered things if you leave your stuff on 24/7.

Nomad45

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
It would be nice to get these cards without a stock cooler to save a few bucks. When buying the card and automatically getting a block things can get expensive.

fwupow

Distinguished
May 30, 2008
I considered water cooling for my GTX-970 but since it's a reference design, the VRMs really aren't capable of supplying enough current to OC the gpu to any meaningful extent. The Stock fan cooler is plenty capable (albeit with a custom fan speed profile) of cooling everything. The only advantage I see with water cooling in most circumstances nowadays is that, you may get longer component life by keeping them running at cooler temps and if you use a see-thru side window, you can have a slick looking rig. Otherwise, it's a lot of expense. I guess it depends on what the limiting factor is. For my reference design PNY GTX-970, I ran into a ceiling in on-card power delivery components which I don't think would benefit from water cooling. Also the factory BIOS would not allow for more than 107% power and hacked BIOS were not available and seemingly not going to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS