Elder Scrolls Online Guild Banks Close Thanks to Dupe Bug

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neblogai

Distinguished
A lot of people here are saying cheating is inexcusable. But in an RPG game where you normally KILL to gain gold, and, and very likely some character class is the THIEF- how can one know that a little bit of alchemistry is wrong?!

c123456

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
All these comments seem to be ignoring one of the first statements in the article. This bug was so easily encountered that it could have been done by accident. Banning people isn't the answer here.

c123456

Honorable
Feb 3, 2014
If a person accidentally dupes a 1 million gold item versus a person who purposefully duplicates a million 1 gold items who committed the crime here?

Odds are, since this is a bug, detection methods were not put in place to test frequency of usage.

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Unfortunately i haven't seen a single MMO being above avg in ALL aspects yet, i will stick to WoW , as i did the last 8 years. And yes i have tried from warhammer online and conan, to everquest and dark age of camelot, from gw g2 and rift to swo and eso only on beta.
About the duping and how Zenimax handles it, i will just say that all involved users should get striped and perhaps they should find a way to ban some accounts but not all. Don't forget , this became widespread and that's why it was dealt with, perhaps accounts with certain criteria only should be banned. Excess gold or gear above a hidden number?

neon neophyte

Splendid
BANNED
duping one item isnt crashing the whole economy. the problem is people who dupe and dupe and dupe and dupe and dupe etc etc etc

the idea that there is no difference between an exploiter and someone who had it happen by accident a couple times is ridiculous.

lilcinw

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

I love this idea. Don't ban them and lose their subscriptions, just move them all to a separate server and let the cheaters cheat each other. It would be fascinating to watch the way the culture progressed on such a server.

As you pointed out the duplication of resources would probably render this untenable but it is more likely that the highest cost would be supporting the separate code paths that leave the various exploits in place rather than the physical cost of servers.

MMOs are ripe for social experimentation/research and I would like to see the results from them.

TyrOd

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

It would be tough to get this implemented in ESO because of the way guilds and the megaserver work. You'd have to split them off from the megaserver and from the PvP campaigns and ban them from forming guilds outside of the split off server. Unlike in games like Titanfall where you don't get any notice that you've been put in the "cheater" pool, in ESO you would know right way and it wouldn't work well for the amount of resources it would require to maintain a third megaserver.

Kurdain1

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007
To be fair any game without item decay will have no real economy anyways.
Once you buy your end game gear/item you're done, you end up with a reverse economy where end game mats/items are vastly cheaper than beginning gear due to the end game glut of items.

TyrOd

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

This is true and most games that get on this kind of "gear treadmill" have the problem of delivering on the content quick enough to satisfy players at endgame.

If we get craglorn size content every 6 weeks I don't expect them to have this kind of problem, but until we see how much they'll be able to deliver, no one can say for sure.

Lunatic Magnet

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Ban players for a bug that Zeni failed to catch? They should ban themselves from releasing unfinished games. That's where the action should be taken. They almost deserve it asking $15/mo. for unfinished product.

Since when is an MMO ever "finished", at launch or otherwise?

TyrOd

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

I wouldn't have even responded to this kind of post. People seem to think that launch means "bug free" or that everything can be tested in beta, or that a newly launched MMO is somehow going to be mostly similar to other MMO launches.

All of those things are false and even if they were true there would still be many factors beyond the devs control well post launch.

Kurdain1

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2007

Yeah,
Sad thing is that only works for a while.
Epic, ultra-rare, fabled, super-duper items become CRAP with the next patch.
"Yo I have a shield with +999,999 hit points"
"Dude that's crap you noob, I have one with +1,000,000,000 hit points"

Few games, EVE for one, actually have a real economy that works...because stuff gets lost all the time, thus creating a healthy demand across all aspects of the game.
DAoC was another one, at least at lunch when I played, but haven't played in what, a decade so I can't comment what it is now.

TyrOd

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

Well I think DAoC has been shut down for a while, though there are rumors of a reboot.
I agree though, I would say that the fact that crafting allows you the ability to produce and recycle materials with a lot of flexibility in ESO helps solve that problem because stuff does eventually get destroyed voluntarily because it is cheaper to replace and Deconstruct than to repair in many cases. If anything that's a positive balance for the health of the economy.

Edit: DAoC is still running but there are studio changes coming not a reboot.

This is Curious.
Personally I gave up on Bethesda after skyrim was poorly ported to PC in the first place (before high resolution pack and mods to fix the horrible inventory system), but this is something that might doom the game as far as high amount of people playing it is concerned.

MMORGS usually are a hard to pull off endevour, and over all After I tried a few, I only sticked with Guild Wars 1.
Not that its the best game ever, but few things there really made the game unplayable for me.

On the banning side, I dont think it matters that much, You are supposed to pay each month for this game so I assume Bethesda will soon allow free entry for like a week or so, If you just pay the monthly fee.

One thing I dont understand is why people are surprised that most people exploited the bug.
We live in a world of people with rather low morality, everyone out for themselves and so on. I dont really know what will happen to TES Online from this moment on, but it will be interesting to watch it unfold.
I still think however that an MMORG by bethesda was not a smart choice. Id go for multiplayer and CO-OP first and leave as many single player elements in the game as possible, but I assume bethesda wanted some of the WoW piece of cake that blizzard as been engulfing for the last years.

TyrOd

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

This is not really Bethesda, they are only publishing the game. Zenimax Online Studios was created to create online games starting with this one.
There's no reason why Bethesda won't have a Co-OP TES:6 game mode. It's not either/or, they just started a new branch of TES thorugh an MMO.

Zombie615

Honorable
Feb 9, 2014

my opinion exactly

martel80

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Why the hell do they need other people to report speed hacking? Are the developers so retarded that they can't implement some basic automated hack detection?

Something like... periodically take a snapshot of everyone's position and calculate distance from their previous position, then compute average speed. In case the speed exceeds maximum possible (and the player did not use teleport), start sending automated warnings to the player. Multiple warnings = ban.

TyrOd

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

"Something like..."?
That's an absurd oversimplification. The whole concept of "basic automated hack detection" is an oxymoron.
It's an ongoing process in all software environments to combat hacks as they are developed. There can be no "basic" process that doesn't immediate get circumvented. It's a battle of resources against the hackers in the community, and it's an uphill battle at that.

Making light of it is just silly.

InvalidError

Titan

When you deal with a server-based multiplayer games, there is a simple way of preventing several if not all obvious hacks and exploits: server-side checking. If the player's client tries to do anything that should be impossible such as moving at 1000% speed when using a 300% speed mount or moving through impassable walls, log the context and action then reset the client's state to the last known-good state on the server or disconnect the client.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS