Emachines - no Video no POST

novak

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004
Hey guys, Im having some problems with an Emachines I obtained. Iv'e exhausted all the options that I know of.

Two days ago it turned on but now that I have tried it today it does not turn on so I replaced the powersupply and it turns on now but I still do not get video and it does not POST.

I have the motherboard striped out of the case right now and have tried using an AGP video card, I have tested the CMOS battery, I have used a new power supply, I have switched the ram into the 2nd slot.

The onboard video is not POSTing either, could it be that if the original Powersupply was failing and not showing video that when it finally did fail it took the motherboard with it?

I have exhausted every option I know to do and I can't get Video or a POST so I look to all of you for help.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

The specs are

Athlon 2400+
512MB Corsair

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
When you say you tested the CMOS do you mean you cleared it? If so, it sounds like the mobo. Ran into this with a new board and had to RMA it.

novak

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004
Sorry yea I took the cmos out and tested it with a DMM, it was running at 3 V and I had it out for about a few minutes so it may have cleared but my diagnosis is I am with you, for whatever reason the motherboard has failed

I forgot to mention above but the system is 2 years old.

CMBURNS

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2007
I had an Emachine I bought at a Black Friday special 4 years ago. It ran fine for 3 years until we had a power outage. When the power came back on, the surge must of fried the power supply. Ran up to the store and bought another power supply. Installed the new power supply but it would not post either. I didn't investigate much further and assumed the whole motherboard fried with the power supply. Salvaged what parts I can and scrapped the rest. I have read a few web postings that Emachines are notorious for having cheap power supplys that been known to fry the whole machine.

novak

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2004
Im basically going to leave it at that too, there was a storm the other night, the pc is actually my grandma's :p and I am not sure if the storm was bad or not but it may have effected the PSU or over the 2 years it may have just gone out.

Just gonna see what I can save from her hard drive and give her my old pc.

Thanks for your help guys

hodsocks

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
In my experience when E-machines power supplies go they usually take the motherboard with them and sometimes the processor too.