EMERGENCY!!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bodhisatva

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2005
my cpu didnt have heating probs before i did the f-up!Well not tht much! wen playing games it did rise to 60...but not higher! My cabinet side panels are open! The fan i brought from my friend is also rotating at the same speed wen 46 deg cel and wen its at 68 !!Even though its a variable speed fan which can do more than 4k rpm!
My fan is screwed! i guess the thick lube spoilt it. coz wen i use tht, the idle temps are around 57 or so!
right now my temp is at 48!(using my frn's hs+f)
cannot understand why my temps are going sooooo high! Put brand new thermal paste too!Never went this high before!

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
You wouldn't be the first person to report a flaming prescott... but maybe it is time for you to consider alternate cooling methods (ie. liquid cooling). I know this option must seem annoying to you, as you haven't always had the high temp problem.

Are you still having crash problems?? Does the system run stable at 68 deg?? Are you running the same monitor program for the temps that you were before the whole problem??

bodhisatva

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2005
no crash problems. But my mobo has a monitor program called intel activity monitor! it starts giving warning beeps wen the processor zone reaches 68 deg! It is same as wat i was using before!
the system is stable......But i dont wanna fry my processor!!
Wat exactly seems to be the problem here? Pat has advised me to out WD-40 oil into my fan!But i am getting hi temps even
with my friends 2.4 prescott's fan!
Water cooling is too expensive to even contemplate over here!(costs around 10000INR)For tht kinda dough i wud rather upgrade to an AMD 64!! ;-)
ps: wat is system zone 2? i get a lot of heating alerts of system zone 2! tried reading the help file, but it doesnt say wat it is!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bodhisatva on 01/20/05 01:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pat

Expert
Well, maybe that you just have false reading. Or a hot system. Try downloading Everest home edition from lavalys andd check if it report hihg temp too. If not, then just take these reading! But, if your system is stable, then dont bother. If it get too hot, it will throttle down to cool down, so you may not hurt it. If it frys, then you could think about upgrading to an A64.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

bodhisatva

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2005
am downloading the latest version of intel activity monitor!Everest shows the same readings!! my fan must be having a problem!! Will try to get it replaced! Will tht be the solution?

pat

Expert
Well if it is stable, let it go .. maybe after some days, thermal pas will settle and fan will get cleaner...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
If you have another montioring program running at the same time then Everest will show the ame readings. Make sure that you have all other montioring software turnde off before you launch Everest

bodhisatva

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2005
Thank you all , everyone! my PC seller has agreed to change the fan free of cost! so i guess i wont be having ne more probs!! thanks all for the attention and the help!!!

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
For future reference, if you have a digital thermometer, hte type you would use to take your temperature if you are sick, then you can touch it to the heatsink close to the base and get a close idea of what the temp really is. Dont short the system out by touching the thermometer to other compnents. The left side of the heatsink "if your facking the CPU is the side to get your reading from.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
I know the 2.8 Scotty comes with a different fan to the 2.8 Northwood. IT has a Copper plug on the bottom, and the fins are arranged in a more radial fashion - more like the spokes of a wheel than the the 'normal' parallel fins.

The fan makes a hell of a noise when it heats up as well.

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Yes there is.
<A HREF="http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/02/24/intel_sneaks_out_2_4ghz/" target="_new">http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/02/24/intel_sneaks_out_2_4ghz/</A>
It's actually an excellent overclocker IIRC (stock 533Mhz FSB), but the lack of HT is a big turn-off for me.

---
"Sex without love is an empty experience...
But as empty experiences go, it's one of the best" - Woody Allen