Employers Discriminate MMO, FPS Gamers

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Seriously...human is as human does...these "employers" are a joke in themselves. No one ever does something 100% unless it utterly benefits us, so if we got unrelenting money then the job would get done..but this happens not. Your nothing but a number so the relationship will always reflect that..period.

customisbetter

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
I told my Boss at the interview i like games and i make sure my system is always running the fastest possible to ensure i get the performance i payed for. In an environment where i would have to know what is the problem on customers computers, that is considered a skill.

I got hired.

G

UHm.... First off, an employer has every right to limit you to productivity focused apps on your company issued PC as well limit your internet usage of their pipe to work related tasks. Anybody who complains about stringent IT policy in regard to acceptable use and software is ignoring the environmental needs of their employer to be secure and maximize productivity. If you don't think your job is paying you enough and that justifies screwing around at work, then find a better paying job you enjoy.

kamkal

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]kamkal[/nom]have to agree with wackydanmost employers are a joke[/citation]

oops i mean dmntd

btw whats with the grey writing

squatchman

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2008
I don't actually know any WOW players that have real jobs. Most of them use the school excuse, but one in particular failed out of college and works 20 hours a week as a bus boy with the rest of his time spent with the orcs and elves of azeroth. Lives with his parents etc. etc. etc.

The moment something becomes all you think about, is the same moment that you become useless as an employee.

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
This is a by-product of Jack Thompson's media attention grab, even though the man who commited the Virginia Tech shootings wasn't a counter-strike player, he managed to demonize it by publicly saying he was, under the guise of being an expert. Not only was he not an expert, but the guy who did shoot upVT

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
didn't play. The attention he garnered on the topic, the claims on media networks in which he was called an expert, have caused it to be demonized. The horror stories associated with MMOs are not uncommon either, the Korean who died...

The whole thing is just frightened mother's syndrome (fms as I like to call it) Where stay at home mothers with too much time on their hands watch too much lifetime and WE, getting progressively paranoid about non-existant stalkers and circumstances, and look at a glossy way at what is said on Fox News and think it's real, without any critical examination of it. They get motivated, and real life incedents come about from their actions/fears/speaking on the topic...It engenders fear culture.

Women, please don't take it seriously, it's a joke (the fms stuff) It's really fear culture I'm talking about...

DM0407

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2007
Why is this even a story? If you want play games on your break then bring your own laptop, go out in the space you own (your car) and find an internet connection that isn't your company's.

Its their internet, their computers... If you paid me to clean your house and I insisted on using your utilities on my lunch break you might be a little upset too.

G

For those commenting on the guy gaming during his lunch break, notice its not just that he is being told to stop but that it is a complete reversal of the policy of just a few years ago where it was encouraged.

sparky2010

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2008
reminds me about this retarded article i read somewhere.. corporate big shots "found out" that being happy in a work environment leads to better productivity/efficiency.. so it started out by trying to cheer employees up and quickly spiraled into "you're either the happiest person on this planet or get the %#^& outta here pal!"... lol...

which is why i'll probably shoot myself if i ever end up working in a large company.. gimme small business anyday!

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
doesn't apply to all employers.
if i owned a similar company and think WoW is too addictive then i would do the same, yet it doesn't make me right or wrong.
probably wrong but am still the boss.

trevorvdw

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Idiotic. All MMO players are not the same. What next, find out who uses Mac and not hire them because they're all hippie pot smokers? Give me a break.

noahjwhite

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
I find this article interesting for many reasons. I do believe that people are generally discriminated against when their gaming habits are reveled. Is gaming an addiction? I don't know... I can honestly say that I spent hours playing MMO's (sometimes when I shouldn't have). I have a fairly serious job as an anesthetist and I have (on 2 occasions) logged on in the middle of a long operation. Is this wrong...most people would think so... but my contemporaries usually either read books or (shocker) fall asleep. Is my head totally in the game or the operating room? It's hard to say. But I stay awake... and honestly. Gaming helps me do that.

G

Come on guys, now really. Of course employers want to avoid addicted gamers. They want people that are outgoing and friendly, not people that would rather spend all their time couped up at home with their PC. I know what I would and will choose when I have hire people to in the near future.

trevorvdw

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Their time would be better spent not hiring smokers who spend 5 - 10 minutes per hour goofing off on a "smoke break" and the rest of their time thinking about their next one.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
I think employers should filter out people who are stupid enough to tell a recruiter that their favorite hobby is playing computer games! Unless you work in the gaming industry, computer gaming should never even come up during the interview.

techguy911

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Lets see i own my own computer store, when its slow, no work to do i play wow, i get to bed every night by 11pm and wake up at 8am.

I have quit wow sometimes as long as 8 months when i have alot to do not everyone is an addict speaking of addicts they should be asking employees of they are smokers are the worst by far they take 10 min smoke breaks ever 30 mins and they are a burden on the health care system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS