[SOLVED] Enabling uPnP on my own Router but not the main Modem

Lin_Wen_Min

Reputable
May 8, 2017
So recently I started playing GTA online , the Game told me that my WiFi Is on strict level . And now I am considering to enable uPnP to play GTA online.
My problem is that if I enable uPnP on my personal router but not the main Modem , will it affect the other connection which is not connected to my personal router ? (Means they connect on the main Modem but not my personal router) ?

Or did I just miss understood the whole thing 😂

Lin_Wen_Min

Reputable
May 8, 2017
Your modem knows nothing of uPnP, that is a function of the router.
Maybe I just mess up the whole thing ?? :sweatsmile: Btw this is my WiFi Modem , all my household device are connect to it , I can simply connect it by typing the IP Address on the browser to change my uPnP setting .
tm_wireless__adslrigerdb120wl_modem_1506268831_2384fd43.jpg

kanewolf

Titan
Yea , it’s not enable by default. How if I enable it on my Router and leave the Modem disable ?
With two routers, it might not work anyway. uPNP will open ports on the "your" router, but I don't think it gets passed through so it can't act on the modem.
Have you thought about turning your router into an access point so that the uPNP traffic would go the modem/router. Then you just have to enable uPNP on that device. Here is the sticky on how to change your router to an access point -- https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-router-to-a-wireless-ap-access-point.966884/

Lin_Wen_Min

Reputable
May 8, 2017
With two routers, it might not work anyway. uPNP will open ports on the "your" router, but I don't think it gets passed through so it can't act on the modem.
Have you thought about turning your router into an access point so that the uPNP traffic would go the modem/router. Then you just have to enable uPNP on that device. Here is the sticky on how to change your router to an access point -- https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...-router-to-a-wireless-ap-access-point.966884/
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:the router , btw thanks for your answer again !! If i change the "Grey" Modem (means changing the 2in1 Grey Modem/Router to a New Modem which is not a 2in1 device ) , then enabling uPnP on the Router do affect the Modem ?? or just only the Router.

kanewolf

Titan
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:the router , btw thanks for your answer again !! If i change the "Grey" Modem (means changing the 2in1 Grey Modem/Router to a New Modem which is not a 2in1 device ) , then enabling uPnP on the Router do affect the Modem ?? or just only the Router.
If you switch the combo unit to a straight modem, then uPNP on "your" router would work. Single purpose modems don't know anything about ports and that is what uPNP is all about.

Reactions: Lin_Wen_Min

Lin_Wen_Min

Reputable
May 8, 2017
If you switch the combo unit to a straight modem, then uPNP on "your" router would work. Single purpose modems don't know anything about ports and that is what uPNP is all about.
Add-in: how about other Router that also connected to the same single purpose modem ? enabling uPnP on Router1 will affect Router2 ?

Lin_Wen_Min

Reputable
May 8, 2017
You can't enable two routers directly on a modem. A modem has a single output port.
Yea , one output port from the Single purpose Modem and connect to a Hub which have around 20port , and both Router1 and Router2 connect to the same Hub . Will this going to be affected on the whole Hub if I enable uPnP on Router1 or just only the Router 1 ? Sorry for said wrongly on the previous post

kanewolf

Titan
Yea , one output port from the Single purpose Modem and connect to a Hub which have around 20port , and both Router1 and Router2 connect to the same Hub . Will this going to be affected on the whole Hub if I enable uPnP on Router1 or just only the Router 1 ? Sorry for said wrongly on the previous post
Most likely only one of the routers will get an IP address. Most ISP only provide one IP address per site.
It has to go modem -> router -> devices or switches. The main router is what provides multiple local addresses for the single public address provided by the ISP.

Lin_Wen_Min

Reputable
May 8, 2017
Most likely only one of the routers will get an IP address. Most ISP only provide one IP address per site.
It has to go modem -> router -> devices or switches. The main router is what provides multiple local addresses for the single public address provided by the ISP.
Ohhh I See ,did you mean the device or switches stand for HUB ?? Btw , after the Device and switches , if I get another Router1 and Router2 Which also connected to the same hub (device and switch) , will the whole hub include Router2 get affected if I enable uPnP on Router1 ??

kanewolf

Titan
Ohhh I See ,did you mean the device or switches stand for HUB ?? Btw , after the Device and switches , if I get another Router1 and Router2 Which also connected to the same hub (device and switch) , will the whole hub include Router2 get affected if I enable uPnP on Router1 ??
A device can be any ethernet connected item. PC, router, printer, switch. There are no hubs any more. There are only switches. The simplest network only has one router. All the "Router1", "Router2" just adds unnecessary complexity.

WHY the obsession with uPNP?

Lin_Wen_Min

Reputable
May 8, 2017
A device can be any ethernet connected item. PC, router, printer, switch. There are no hubs any more. There are only switches. The simplest network only has one router. All the "Router1", "Router2" just adds unnecessary complexity.

WHY the obsession with uPNP?
Ohh I see , because enabling uPnP can helps me to connect to GTA Online sever or even other games sever more easily . Since my nat type is Strict , then I am considering enable uPnP for myself but not for everyone.

TRENDING THREADS