'Enderal': The Game-Sized 'Skyrim' Mod You Should Be Playing

Status
Not open for further replies.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
Thanks for the Tip! The years between TES releases are a terrible trial for me - maybe this mod can fill the void for a little while. ;-)

I've tried the game and I like it. There is only one issue with the game though: While it is installed, Skyrim will not work. You either have to uninstall Enderal or copy Skyrim into another folder before install to play Skyrim again.

But, Man, It is a beautiful game.

D

Deleted member 217926

I'm very happy to see this review. I saw something about Enderal a few months ago somewhere and thought it looked amazing. I think when I saw it they were working on German to English translations and it wasn't quite ready yet. I'll download it tonight.

JulesduMont

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016
This mod outclasses a lot of stand-alone games, not to mention TES.
There are a lot of bugs though, especially in the last 20% of the main quests.
Could be tied to the engine of TESV, which is simply a disaster.

This mod deserves Kudos for it's sneaky goosebumping story, well made characters and tons of innovative level and quest-design. I am waiting for the release of Enderal for TESV Special Edition - it should run a lot smoother and much more stable with that newer Creation Engine based on 64bit.

D

Deleted member 217926

Any confirmation they are working on a version compatible with the Special Edition?

How does it run? I played Skyrim earlier this year with about 50 mods including the Realvision ENB and I was averaging around 60 FPS with drops to a stuttering 50 in some places. That's with a 6700k at 4.6Ghz and a 980 Ti at 1440p. With the updated engine the Special Edition should be much more mod friendly eventually.

wysiwygbill

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2008
I searched the forum and Enderal is for the original Skyrim only for now. In Steam the Special Edition installs as a separate game btw. The official word is maybe next year they'll consider it depending on the time and money necessary.

ah

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
'Enderal is free and can be played by anyone who owns a copy of TES V: Skyrim. I have Skyrim in Steam library. I'm not sure I'll be able to download the game. The website provide no information as to how to download the game.

D

Deleted member 217926

Download link.

http://enderal.com/

Edit: The game is very easy to install and does not even require a mod manager.

Still playing skyrim with various mods and enb's. Definitely need a better gpu to get the full enjoyment out of it but given my older hardware still is a great game. Looking forward to checking this out as well.

Plenty of glitches and headaches (workarounds/patches) needed for the tesv system but the amount of work that people have put into modding it is insane. This sounds pretty impressive and I was already happy with some of the more detailed followers with their own side quests.

I think the glitches and conflicts with some things can be forgiven when considering how malleable the game truly is. Many times the conflicts only start popping up with a number of mods usually from several authors who didn't have a chance to test everything with every other mod out there. The fact that so many DO work well together is a real achievement.

For those worried about having to uninstall skyrim to play it seems it should be fairly painless. I've not done it yet but given the advertised functionality of it Enderal should offer to backup your skyrim game when installing as well as offer to backup Enderal when switching back to skyrim. Hopefully that means painless transition and only the inconvenience of not being able to play both and switch back and forth. It beats losing a heavily modded game either way.

Kimonajane

Commendable
May 24, 2016
Wow this makes me want to build my new rig now. Sadly my current rig would choke on this. I only hope its still available when I eventually go to download it.

jpishgar

Splendid
Overlord Emeritus
By the way, Enderal is now in my Top 10 games of all time, ever. It is why I was compelled to write the review.

I'm eager to hear some of you who decide to take the plunge cursing my name, if you are able to get past the first learning curve. Enderal is violent and unforgiving. Avoid spoilers at all costs.

-JP

If you're not using Mod Organizer, you should be. MO doesn't "install" mods into your Skyrim installation like other mod managers do. It installs them in its own directory. It even moves save games into its own directory (under different "profiles" so you don't have to have saves for multiple characters mixed together). When you launch the game with MO, it creates a virtual instance of the game override directory with the selected mods active and runs the game there. This means you can instantly turn mods on and off and start the game. No need to install or uninstall a mod every time you want to run with/without it.

Enderal installs assuming you're using a regular Skyrim install (or regular mod manager), which complicates this a bit. But it is possible to set it up in Mod Organizer so you can quickly flip between Enderal and regular (modded) Skyrim using Mod Organizer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C74LjT96pr0

I wasted hours installing and uninstalling mods with Nexus Mod Manager, waiting the entire install/uninstall process while I was trying to figure out which mod or mod order was causing crashes or problems. Then I discovered Mod Organizer, which lets you do this sort of install/uninstall or reordering instantly. It takes a bit more effort to learn how it works, but once you do it's so much simple, cleaner, quicker, and more flexible.

D

Deleted member 217926

With a clean Skyrim install you don't need any mod managers at all for Enderal. It uses a stand alone installer.

I use Mod Organizer over Nexus Mod Manager as well.

Just really got past the opening sequence ( about an hour ) in Enderal and I'm loving it so far.

I might have to give MO a try, I've been using NMM and it's worked pretty well so far. It made installing mods a lot easier than manually doing it and trying to find all the folders. Steam likes to explode their game installs all over the place apparently. I'm more used to older games that just installed in their own directory and that was it.

sillynilly

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016
Played it and while nice this article is way over the top for me. The hyperbole and sing-songiness of this article is way overdone. The game is nice, yes, but damn man relax it didn't cure cancer.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

The launcher lets you switch back and forth, but I use Skyrim to play Enderal, and Skyrim:SE to play Skyrim.

Tuishimi

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
So can you say use the launcher to run Enderal, then tell the launcher to use Skyrim, but exit and use SKSE to launch? I guess what I am saying is can you leave all your painstakingly downloaded and installed and ordered mods in place? Or do I NEED to copy off my Skyrim, reinstall base?

Status
Not open for further replies.