Endless On A Mission To Bring Information Age To All With $79 PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich_2

Reputable
Jan 5, 2016
So this is basically a rip off of the Raspberry pi, sold for more money, and we're all supposed to praise this great American for his innovation and kindness? :no:

boytitan2

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
So this is basically a rip off of the Raspberry pi, sold for more money, and we're all supposed to praise this great American for his innovation and kindness? :no:
It already has a case and modified operating system and is aimed at emerging markets.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

try to get a raspberry pi to guatemala for that cheap. I dare you.
It cost TH three times the cost of a Mod Mic to ship it to a contest winner in Guatemala. The import fees for a country like that are astronomical. This is $79 landed, and includes a wealth of offline content that you don't get with the Raspberry Pi.

dsdsds

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006

It cost TH three times the cost of a Mod Mic to ship it to a contest winner in Guatemala. The import fees for a country like that are astronomical. This is $79 landed, and includes a wealth of offline content that you don't get with the Raspberry Pi.
uhmm no... $169 or $229 .. "landed"

uhmm no... $169 or $229 .. "landed"

Those are the prices for their previous computers. The computer that the article is about starts at $79.

ErikVinoya

Honorable
May 11, 2014

Except that the $35 Raspberry Pi does not include storage, case nor a power supply/adapter. It has no gigabit ethernet and the only ethernet port it has shares bus bandwidth with the USB controller.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Raspberry Pi and I actually own 2 of those, but you can't deny the fact that you'd have to spend a bit more than its base price before you can even start using it

anil_robo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
In developing countries, electronics can sometimes cost several times their cost in USA. As an example, iPhone costs over $1000 in India easily, and it may not even be the latest model. While "barebone" solutions like Raspberry Pi do exist, they are totally useless without the necessary software and marketing. It is unlikely that Endless will change the way people use computers, but it will definitely contribute to the way people in poor countries access information, at least to some extent.

ianpac

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
Snore... you can buy HDMI stick computers for less than $79 running windows 10 with the same hardware specs. These have been out for some time well before the Intel Compute stick was launched. You can get an Android stick for less than $50

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
The only problem I have with it is the lack of a memory card slot. The people who use a computer just to browse the internet and make homework also save pictures, musics and videos on the device. For basic usage it's fine, but storage will fill up quickly.

Yes, yes, you can get an USB memory card reader, but that's more cost, right?

Also, the headphone jack should be split into separate phone and mic entries. Most cheap headphones come this way. I think they are very well intended, and wish them all the success, but they should spend some time buying and using dirt-cheap stuff.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007

You also need an HDMI-capable TV, wireless mouse and keyboard, and learn to use Windows 10. These also cost a lot more than $79 where this PC will be sold. Android sticks don't offer the same versatility that a Linux-based system does.

This think can connect to an old TV, used keyboards and mouses, and is also made to be friendly to people who never used a PC before. People who also probably don't have internet connection, which is the reason it is bundled with specific content.

And please, stop snoring. Respect those who make products for people different than you.

MKeist

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
I think the carrier May be either tigo or claro.
Also, yes the costs for shipping are fucking astronomical. For example, A 980Ti here costs 1000$ or even more.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
A friend of mine in Uruguay just built a new gaming PC. The parts are much more expensive there then they are here in the U.S.

I imagine other countries are even more of a challenge, so kudos to these guys for managing to get a PC to that price point for them.

mrbit

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
i live in Guatemala and i like the idea and i agree with the fact that without marketing from mobile providers it would be hard for this type of computers to be popular, but the price it is still not great... not for the people that live in rural areas that would be the main target, unless they give paying options for 6 months or 1 year, maybe then.

Calvin Huang

Reputable
Jan 9, 2015
A Raspberry Pi 2 kit including case, keyboard, 8GB microSD, 1GB RAM, PSU, 802.11n adapter, etc. is only $69 on Amazon. Per-unit international shipping costs can be greatly reduced if you buy wholesale. The advantage of this product is the additional storage, the Mali 450 GPU and an ARMv7 clocked at 1.5GHz instead of 900MHz, but the $79 version lacks a wifi adapter.

ianpac

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010
You also need an HDMI-capable TV
No you dont, you can buy a vga adapter for a few dollars

wireless mouse and keyboard
Not true, my Meegopad stick has 2 usb ports

and learn to use Windows 10.
which has been dumbed down anyway. It is still the same learning curve - click on the icon to launch the program. And would not not be a good idea to learn Windows anyway?

These also cost a lot more than $79 where this PC will be sold.
No they would not, volume distributors can buy them at a fraction of the retail price.

Android sticks don't offer the same versatility that a Linux-based system does.
Android is Linux and these are meant to be simple introduction machines. Android would be just fine.

ianpac

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2010

In fact most people in rural areas realistically would not have access to or be be able to afford internet connection which makes this seem pointless. It is really just a product to entice poor people to pay for a telecom connection. There is nothing altruistic about this at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.