Question Endpoint Security on everything including home users ?

Apr 1, 2024
I know another Local IT company is using Cylance Endpoint managed security on everything they do. from Business clients to home users. How is this legal? I actually reached out to Cylance a few years back when I first discovered this, I got a few emails that they almost seemed confused by it then stopped responding all together.

I first encountered this a few years back when I went to a lady's house and that's what they had installed. I tried to install my remote support but it was blocked and I was unable to make any changes in the security software including uninstalling it. That's when I discovered that it was managed by the computer place she last had the computer serviced at.

I have since run into a couple of other users who had their computer serviced at that place and had it installed However I was able to uninstall it. Mainly because I think it wasn't working correctly. However systems that it was working right on I could not install or make changes. Even Revo uninstaller wouldn't work. In this time I have taken two clients over for IT services from this other IT company and they were both set up with the managed endpoint software. I know that most users aren't even aware that its managed. Thoughts on this, Not sure where else to ask. Seems illegal or borderline to me.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
There are certainly legal ways for home users to use such products. Some companies offer a "home use program" for such purposes.

I can also imagine how an unscrupulous shop could install and use to their advantage.

Apr 1, 2024
There are certainly legal ways for home users to use such products. Some companies offer a "home use program" for such purposes.

I can also imagine how an unscrupulous shop could install and use to their advantage.
I'm not sure how they market it. I just know that they have no idea that its managed. I don't like the idea of a company having control over what i do or don't install on my system personally.

Apr 1, 2024
Not really a marketed thing. More of an employee perk, when legitimately provided as previously discussed.

The HUP is generally not available to the non-affiliated public.
No No you aren't getting what I mean. Not employees. These people have nothing to do with a company. For example you are an everyday home computer user. This is your personal computer that you bought and use. You take it to a local computer shop for a tune up and antivirus subscription. You pay for a tune up and antivirus but you don't get something like Norton, McAfee, Avast, Avg etc. You get Cylance or Sentinel One. Now you have an antivirus on your computer that's controlled by the computer shop you took it to.
They are installing endpoint security on anyone who walks through the door.

Apr 1, 2024
The instances I've run into no. The user was not aware this. If I recall the invoice just said antivirus 1 year subscription.

At work the antivirus we use(checkpoint endpoint) you can’t remove it. When we first started installing it, I made a mistake when trying to remove it from my computer. I tried using uninstall applications that would hunt down the files and registry entries and delete them, and that av still kept coming back. We also have a password set so if you don’t know the password you cannot remove it basically without a reformat. However this is a corporate environment.

But I would think as long as folks like home users know, maybe it’s fine as long as they are properly licensed. However they need to be aware or have paperwork that they’ve got a subscription. On the other hand many times home users aren’t very computer savvy either.