Question energy efficient x86, 64bit, >4GB RAM (, Arduino interface) SBC

PackElend

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Hello,
I am planning to build a 7/24 home NAS with emphasis on low power consumption, low (preferably zero) noise with 2x3.5" SATA HDDs but I could accept 2.5". The OS choice is not final yet it could be any of FreeNAS, OpenMediaVault, OpenBSD, NAS4free, TrueNAS, TrueOS. I know it is many but I haven't gone into details yet about the differences of these OSs.

For sure, I will run several other services as plugins or docker containers (cloud office, file sharing -> family-wide collaboration). The SBC shall be able to do a basic Plex/KODI transcoding, as that would be very nice to have.
In addition, I would like to be able to communicate via RS232 and switching some digital outputs, thus integrated Arduino would be appreciated.

As these requirements need some ram and horsepower when doing transcoding or using ONLYOFFICE as part of my nextcloud instance. I would rather prefer a 64 bit x86 instead of an ARM CPU, although they run Docker easily too.
So far I considered
  1. UDOO X86 II
    UDOO-X86 Part 2: Roaring performance // Review
  2. NVIDIA® Jetson™
  3. LattePanda Alpha 864s, what got an update recently
    LattePanda Alpha: The big mistake? // Review, L.P. Alpha DC power experiments and observations - Page 2 - LattePanda Forum
  4. DROID-H2
Have I missed an SBC?
Is there any experience with these devices?
I'm going in the wrong direction focusing only on the listed SBCs?

Thank you

Stefan

kanewolf

Titan

kanewolf

Titan
It is useful as a relative value. Obviously efficiency of power subsystem, RAM power, disk power, all contribute. How expensive is your electricty? The difference may be less than a dolkar a month. It isn't worth obsessing too much, when each disk uses 7W.

PackElend

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
Last edited:
The J4105 boards are great for a home server. The passmark is barely enough for one h264 1080p transcode+ audio it might buffer. If you go hardware transcode it requires plex pass and you will have to run on metal. J4105 only has 6PCIE 2.0 lanes for everything. Only a few boards have 4 sata3. That's the only board I've seen with 2 nic and m.2. gemini lake can use 32GB ram. gemini lake is sold out everywhere. I think hardkernel said they are getting a refresh shipment in june/july. that board has been sold out since day1.

Newer stuff idles very low. You can use the 65W LGA 1151. My 6core 9400f idles 40W and only uses 60W with a 1660 ti web browsing. I think you can get them down to 20W idle with the right mobo. You can buy a C246 board and use ECC ram.

Someone made a build that idle at 3.1W using this board. They don't advertise ultra low power consumption on the 8th gen version. If you use a 2core intel you can use a pico psu.
powertop and hdparm are two programs that lower idle power use. You want your OS/VM on sata3 SSD and storage on spinning drives. This board is easy to find in Germany fyi, a wild guess based on your rate.
https://www.fujitsu.com/fts/products/computing/peripheral/mainboards/extended-lifecycle-main/pmod-177972.html

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS