JJBandit

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2014
Hi Folks,

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area, i searched VoIP and saw most VoIP questions were posted under networking.

I have this Grandstream HT801, which converts an old analogue phone into a VoIP phone, enabling the old analogue phone to work over my fibre connection.

However, when someone calls me whilst i'm on the phone already, they don't get the typical engaged tone one would expect.

Instead, the caller gets a variety of different messages or notifications ranging from a beep or couple of beeps and just cuts the call, or a recorded message saying "the number is not available" Sometimes "please try again later", One caller got 3 blasts of the engaged tone then it hung up.

I have, after some investigation, identified that the message/notification depends on the provider/carrier of the caller trying to call me whilst engaged.

So i'm guessing its how the callers carrier reacts to the engaged line.

But is there any way to make the engaged tone consistent? preferably with the traditional engaged tone for all callers?

Its starting to confuse some of my callers, where they think its a dead line, or out of order or something and tend to not try calling back.

Does anyone have any ideas? is there a VoIP setting that can control this?

Thanks in advance :)

Your best option is likely to ask the company that provides the VOIP services to you.

Like the old style analog phone it isn't really your actual phone that is providing that tone it is central offices at the phone company. With VoIP it just add lots of complexity to how this is accomplished. Your voip box might have a setting that tells the central location to activate the feature but your box itself is not actually sending any tones.

Reactions: lantis3

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
My personal experience is that VOIP is tricky sometimes.

Owned early Linksys VOIP adapter before and using Ooma now. With Linksys you can and have to enter the VOIP info yourself but Ooma doesn't.

The time when Fry's Electronics is still in business, every time I called them with my Ooma VOIP home phone, the voice was always choppy, never good. And calls to some public service calls were blocked or couldn't get through. But most calls to others are OK. Don't know if it has anything to do with IP blacklists no being updated.

You can also see if setting a Stun Server improves anything
https://www.google.com/search?q=public+stun+server

P.27
https://www.grandstream.com/hubfs/Product_Documentation/ht80x_user_guide.pdf?hsLang=en

Last edited: