Enlarging disk partitions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JhonConners

Honorable
Jul 17, 2015
So I ahve a 128 gb ssd and I partitioned 25gb of that to Windows 7 in a dual boot config.
Well there is barely enough space for programs that need to run on windows 7 (where I can't just access them, such as Microsoft .net framework that I need to have on this partition to run synapse on my windows 7(dual boot)

How would I enlarge that partition?

Solution

DiskPart Command-Line Options
Be extremely careful with this. But it will do exactly what you desire.

However....as asked above...does the system actually boot with the SSD disconnected?

JhonConners

Honorable
Jul 17, 2015

1 2tb hdd with win10 and all programs on
1 128gb ssd with some video clips and currently win7

Id like to remove all partitions (except the main 128gb one) on the ssd so I can completly dedicate that to win7

USAFRet

Titan

From the 'other partition' on the 128GB SSD, copy all that stuff off to a folder on the 2TB HDD
Disconnect all drives except the SSD
Install the OS of choice on the SSD
In the process, delete ALL existing partitions on that SSD
Install the OS.

Assuming all this works, you now have the SSD with Win 7(?) installed.

Now...why are we trying to have Win 7 and Win 10?

JhonConners

Honorable
Jul 17, 2015

Amazing question! XD
I personally like windows 7 more than 10, and I bought the ssd for my windows. And I can't find an installer for win10 anumore..

1 question though:
Why do I need to disconnect all drives except the ssd? I can just configure it through bios, which is what I did last time to install the os

USAFRet

Titan
Install for Win 10, direct from Microsoft. Here:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Why disconnect all other drives?
To absolutely prevent a 'mistake', in what drive you erase or install to.
Yes, you won't mess it up. Just like the last 20 people that did mess it up and chose the wrong drive.

But if you like Win 7 more than 10, why both?

JhonConners

Honorable
Jul 17, 2015

I'll be keeping win10 and 7 since there are some programs that need the newer win10 to run.
Aswell as it seems it could be dangerous to just delete it off the hdd XD
Also can i use the win10 key for the win7? Most likely not but just want to make sure

JhonConners

Honorable
Jul 17, 2015

RIP :/
I mean not to ask for like free keys but is there any website/place I can get them for cheap? Sorta like what G2A does? I mean ill take free aswell ;);)

USAFRet

Titan

There is no 'cheap + valid'.
It costs what it costs. Generally, around $100.

LOL... I have installed Windows 7 so many times i've lost count. This year maybe around 7-8 times with Windows Updates set to fully automatic for a while, then disable them, and turn them back on as convenient, so they will install gradually. If it takes so long for all updates to install, what's the point in installing them all the same day?... As I said, you can configurre Windows updates to install when and how you decide... it's not like your Windows will get infected as soon as you start browsing the internet... and just in case, a good antivirus should block whatever tries to download.

USAFRet

Titan

How, depends on exactly what you want the end state to be.

And that is? Dualboot? Single? Win 7? Win 10?
What do you want on which drive?

JhonConners

Honorable
Jul 17, 2015

win10 untouched, still on hdd.

So I had 1 full 128gb partition on my 128gb ssd, then I shrunk that to get a 25 gb partition for the dualboot win7.

Would i be able to just extend the normal partition into the 25gb to make the normal partition a full 128 gb?

USAFRet

Titan

If there's nothing on that drive you want:
First, verify the system actually boots with that drive disconnected.
If it does, then just delete ALL partitions on it
Make a new partition with the whole space. Format, give it a drive letter.

I'd do it this way:
1. Make folder on C: and copy all contents of E: there;
2. Delete partition E: ;
3. Copy partition F: to start of the drive (3rd party partition management software is necessary for that);
4. if everything is copied successfully, then delete partition F: and assign drive letter F: to newly copied partition;
5. finally - extend new partition F: to all available space on SSD.

After that BCD store will need fixing.
Boot from windows installation media and execute

• bootrec /rebuildbcd
Done!
(reinstallation avoided, btw)

JhonConners

Honorable
Jul 17, 2015

How do I delete partitions? There is no option.

And Skynet, surely I can just copy F to a folder on C
Delete partitions
Create new partition
Copy it back onto teh drive
Just use BIOS to change how it boots rather than using cmd. Which personally cmd is way more confusing :p

USAFRet

Titan

1. Copy those video clips to somewhere else
2. Does the system boot properly with that drive disconnected?

I didnt say anything about copying F: to C: . Read more carefully.

Why would you do that? Windows bootloader is perfectly fine with booting to multiple installed windows versions. It's absolutely not necessary to mess with BIOS for that.

JhonConners

Honorable
Jul 17, 2015

Win10 does.

JhonConners

Honorable
Jul 17, 2015

Yes, but 1. That is confusing, and 2. Since I have my hdd as the 1st boot drive and the ssd as the 2nd in bios, whenever I start up, it gives my the option, "do you want to boot into win7 or win10?"

:p