[SOLVED] Enough power for budget build?

PCNoob00

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2014
Hi guys!
I am building a new budget PC and I am thinking about PSU that is enough strong, but not overkill for my build.
My PC:
Asus tuf B360 mthb with Intel i5 9400f or Asusu tuf B450 mthb with Ryzen 5 2600 (I am not sure yet but their TDP is similar I think)
Ram 2x 8gb ddr4
GPU: Asus tuf gtx 1650 super
HDD x 2
SSD x 1
Since this will not be power hungry build I have in mind:

Corsair CV 550 or CV 650
Seasonic M12 II EVO 520W or 620W (modular)
Seasonic S12 II 520W or 620W

Which one is better/more reliable and is it necessary to go with stronger versions for this kind o build?
Thank you!

Solution
Well I am about to buy Focus gx 550w today *(120 dollars), but I am pretty uncertain about wattage. Is 550W really enough? For this GTX 1650 super build it is for sure. I will not buy CPUs to overclock them, nor I would buy GPU stronger than gtx 1660 super (one class above gpu I already have) in future. Focus gx 650 w version is 25 dollars more, but I find it really expensive with price of 145 dollars for budget system of mine.. Is quality 550w psu enough futureproof (budget -medium builds)?
The 550 is plenty and should last you a long time.

Blensidi

Commendable
May 28, 2019
If I had to pick a PSU I would usually pick from beQuiet since silence is almost the most important for my PC like the Dark Power Pro 11 550W but well if I had to pick one between those then actually Corsair but since as you stated it's not modular then for the Seasonic M12 II EVO 520W or 620W (modular).
I just like thi idea of be able to cable managment more easily which would save some stress and nerves.

Correct me if I am wrong but the more Watt your PSU has the quieter and less voltage it consumes though this is my own myth and can be wrong.

Really you could get buy with a quality 450-550w with your system and you do not really need anymore.

Is the Corsair CX450 or 550 in the budget? If so, get one of those.

Otherwise, the Corsair CV650w would be my next choice. It is a step down in terms of design and is a bit more dated, however, it is at least a little better (80+ Bronze VS white and more DC-DC i think) than the Corsair VS series on which it is based.

PCNoob00

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2014
Yes, that's fine. The 550 watt model is plenty but you can use a 650 if you want. Avoid the older CX series that have green or orange lettering.
Sorry to bother you more but I have one more qustion. Since the fact that PC part market in my country is a bit strange with offer and pricing, I just found one Gold certified PSU for the same price of CX 650.
Its Seasonic Focus + 550 W modular. Its about 110 USD. Is it somewhat better? Thank you!

Sorry to bother you more but I have one more qustion. Since the fact that PC part market in my country is a bit strange with offer and pricing, I just found one Gold certified PSU for the same price of CX 650.
Its Seasonic Focus + 550 W modular. Its about 110 USD. Is it somewhat better? Thank you!
It's a lot better. For the motherboard, I recommend MSI's B450. All of their lines support BIOS flashbacks and their B450 VRMs are the best. Ryzen trumps Intel's i5 in most cases with its hyperthreading.

Reactions: PCNoob00
Yes. The Seasonic is a good step-up in terms of overall quality and reliability.

PCNoob00

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2014
Yes. The Seasonic is a good step-up in terms of overall quality and reliability.
My retailer is selling older Seasonic Focus plus 550 and newer version Seasonic Focus GX 550. OCP isues with focus plus were related to high end power hungry graphic gards with periodic spikes in terms of wattage that excedes 400W, not with light builds like mine, but I think its better to go with newer one (GX).

My retailer is selling older Seasonic Focus plus 550 and newer version Seasonic Focus GX 550. OCP isues with focus plus were related to high end power hungry graphic gards with periodic spikes in terms of wattage that excedes 400W, not with light builds like mine, but I think its better to go with newer one (GX).
Yes, issues with the focus series were addressed and the GX is the version you want.

PCNoob00

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2014
Yes, issues with the focus series were addressed and the GX is the version you want.
Well I am about to buy Focus gx 550w today *(120 dollars), but I am pretty uncertain about wattage. Is 550W really enough? For this GTX 1650 super build it is for sure. I will not buy CPUs to overclock them, nor I would buy GPU stronger than gtx 1660 super (one class above gpu I already have) in future. Focus gx 650 w version is 25 dollars more, but I find it really expensive with price of 145 dollars for budget system of mine.. Is quality 550w psu enough futureproof (budget -medium builds)?

PCNoob00

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2014
HI. Sorry to ask another question while you are busy, but would a Antec EA550G Pro also be enough for the same builld? It has an 80+ gold rating
For i5 9series/R5 series cpus + gtx 1650 super it will be enough...I have no experience with measuring precisely power consumption in different working situations so i am not sure about stronger gpus with 550w PSUs. In my country I am pretty limited when it comes to PSU market. Seasonic and Corsair from better brands mostly and some EVGA (only g3 and gq series).

Apr 6, 2020
I have gtx1060 windforce g1 OC 3GB GPU, i5-9400f, b360m motherboard, with corsair watercooling on cpu. I recently got a restart problem while playing games like gta V, and everyone refers to PSU problem. Cpu and Gpu temps stays under 50 degrees. Someone just needs to tell me wether Antec is good or not. I have huntkey 700W, (almost 7 years old)

The 550 is plenty and should last you a long time.

Solution
Is 550W really enough?
A Seasonic Focus should be able to deliver its full stated capacity. Of course, it's still probably not good to run them up to their limit, but a 550 watt model should provide enough headroom for just about any graphics card. A 1650 SUPER only draws around 100 watts under load, but nearly any higher-end graphics card you are likely to upgrade to isn't likely to draw more than 200-250 watts. There are a few exceptions that can get up around 300 watts, but out of the current-generation hardware, that only applies to the $1000+ RTX 2080 Ti at this time.

The rest of your components, including the CPU, should only need around 100 to 150 watts combined, so even with a 250 watt graphics card, you probably wouldn't ever see much more than 400 watts being draw from the PSU. With a 1650 SUPER, you likely wouldn't exceed 250 watts.

Of course, if you wanted, you could move up to a higher wattage PSU of comparable quality, which may potentially run a little cooler and quieter under load, but it's probably not worth paying significantly more for.

PCNoob00

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2014
Update:
Seasonic Focus gx 550 bought.
During this time searching for a new PSU I think I have learnt quite a lot about them. Never new there are so much important things to know to be able to pick a quality one. You guys helped me a lot. Thank you!